Ready Boost missing in action?

Programatix

Ready Boost missing in action?
Hi,

I'm installed Vista on my laptop (no driver for the smart battery, so Vista
does not recognize it as a mobile PC). Anyway, I found out that after
several times of hibernate and suspend, Ready Boost will suddenly stop
working.

When this happens, the Property box of the drive, the Ready Boost tab will
be missing. Attempting to stop the Ready Boost service will make Ready Boost
to be in "stopping" condition infinitely.

The only way to solve this is to restart Vista.

Any idea?

MICHAEL

Re: Ready Boost missing in action?

"Programatix" <N0_programatix_Sp^mming@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm installed Vista on my laptop (no driver for the smart battery, so Vista does not
> recognize it as a mobile PC). Anyway, I found out that after several times of hibernate and
> suspend, Ready Boost will suddenly stop working.
>
> When this happens, the Property box of the drive, the Ready Boost tab will be missing.
> Attempting to stop the Ready Boost service will make Ready Boost to be in "stopping"
> condition infinitely.
>
> The only way to solve this is to restart Vista.
>
> Any idea?

I have seen the same behavior after Vista recovers from Sleep.
It's not all the time, but enough to be aggravating. I really don't
need ReadyBoost, I have 2GB RAM. But, I do find it helps a bit
when I'm running a virtual machine. Typically, if you have over
1GB RAM, you will not notice any performance increase using
ReadyBoost.

The easiest way I've found to get ReadyBoost working again-
right click your device and format it- either FAT or FAT32.
After the format, you may have to click "Test Again" a couple
of times.

Take care,

Michael

Programatix

Re: Ready Boost missing in action?
Well, the Ready Boost tab is missing... so can't really click the Test
button anyway. Sigh... anyway, I have 1.2GB of RAM.

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message

> "Programatix" <N0_programatix_Sp^mming@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm installed Vista on my laptop (no driver for the smart battery, so
>> Vista does not recognize it as a mobile PC). Anyway, I found out that
>> after several times of hibernate and suspend, Ready Boost will suddenly
>> stop working.
>>
>> When this happens, the Property box of the drive, the Ready Boost tab
>> will be missing. Attempting to stop the Ready Boost service will make
>> Ready Boost to be in "stopping" condition infinitely.
>>
>> The only way to solve this is to restart Vista.
>>
>> Any idea?

> I have seen the same behavior after Vista recovers from Sleep.
> It's not all the time, but enough to be aggravating. I really don't
> need ReadyBoost, I have 2GB RAM. But, I do find it helps a bit
> when I'm running a virtual machine. Typically, if you have over
> 1GB RAM, you will not notice any performance increase using
> ReadyBoost.
>
> The easiest way I've found to get ReadyBoost working again-
> right click your device and format it- either FAT or FAT32.
> After the format, you may have to click "Test Again" a couple
> of times.
>

> Take care,
>
> Michael

Ken Gardner

Re: Ready Boost missing in action?
"MICHAEL" :

> The easiest way I've found to get ReadyBoost working again-
> right click your device and format it- either FAT or FAT32.
> After the format, you may have to click "Test Again" a couple
> of times.

Why FAT or FAT32? I formatted mine with NTFS and it is working fine.

"Ken Gardner" <kesgardner@charter.net> wrote in message
> "MICHAEL" :
>
>> The easiest way I've found to get ReadyBoost working again-
>> right click your device and format it- either FAT or FAT32.
>> After the format, you may have to click "Test Again" a couple
>> of times.

> Why FAT or FAT32? I formatted mine with NTFS and it is working fine.

Typically, on USB flash drives, FAT is the default format.
On small drives, many say that FAT is a bit faster than NTFS.

If it is working for you, don't "fix" it. :-)

-Michael

MICHAEL

Re: Ready Boost missing in action?
Did you restart the ReadyBoost service?

Pull the drive out and stick it back in.
I'll leave my general copy and paste
reply below, for a little more info.

ReadyBoost can be a tricky thing to get working
on some flash drives, and a lot of flash drives
just aren't fast enough for ReadyBoost.

Try this first;
Go into Device Manager>Disk Drives
Find your flash drive. Double click it.
Policies tab.
Make sure "Optimize for performance" is checked.

Test again.

Sometimes even formatting the drive can do the trick.
Either FAT or FAT32.

Make sure it's not plugged into a USB hub.
Or, try plugging it into another slot.

ReadyBoost - Using Your USB Key to Speed Up Windows Vista
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...14/576548.aspx

> Well, the Ready Boost tab is missing... so can't really click the Test button anyway. Sigh...
> anyway, I have 1.2GB of RAM.
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Programatix" <N0_programatix_Sp^mming@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm installed Vista on my laptop (no driver for the smart battery, so Vista does not
>>> recognize it as a mobile PC). Anyway, I found out that after several times of hibernate and
>>> suspend, Ready Boost will suddenly stop working.
>>>
>>> When this happens, the Property box of the drive, the Ready Boost tab will be missing.
>>> Attempting to stop the Ready Boost service will make Ready Boost to be in "stopping"
>>> condition infinitely.
>>>
>>> The only way to solve this is to restart Vista.
>>>
>>> Any idea?

>> I have seen the same behavior after Vista recovers from Sleep.
>> It's not all the time, but enough to be aggravating. I really don't
>> need ReadyBoost, I have 2GB RAM. But, I do find it helps a bit
>> when I'm running a virtual machine. Typically, if you have over
>> 1GB RAM, you will not notice any performance increase using
>> ReadyBoost.
>>
>> The easiest way I've found to get ReadyBoost working again-
>> right click your device and format it- either FAT or FAT32.
>> After the format, you may have to click "Test Again" a couple
>> of times.
>>

>> Take care,
>>
>> Michael

Programatix

Re: Ready Boost missing in action?
Well, as I said in the first post, stopping the service will put it in the
infinite stopping condition. By the way, this does not happen to my other
machine.

> Did you restart the ReadyBoost service?
>
> Pull the drive out and stick it back in.
> I'll leave my general copy and paste
> reply below, for a little more info.

> ReadyBoost can be a tricky thing to get working
> on some flash drives, and a lot of flash drives
> just aren't fast enough for ReadyBoost.
>
> Try this first;
> Go into Device Manager>Disk Drives
> Find your flash drive. Double click it.
> Policies tab.
> Make sure "Optimize for performance" is checked.
>
> Test again.
>
> Sometimes even formatting the drive can do the trick.
> Either FAT or FAT32.
>
> Make sure it's not plugged into a USB hub.
> Or, try plugging it into another slot.
>

> ReadyBoost - Using Your USB Key to Speed Up Windows Vista
> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...14/576548.aspx
>

> "Programatix" <N0_programatix_Sp^mming@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Well, the Ready Boost tab is missing... so can't really click the Test
>> button anyway. Sigh... anyway, I have 1.2GB of RAM.
>>
>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Programatix" <N0_programatix_Sp^mming@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> I have seen the same behavior after Vista recovers from Sleep.
>>> It's not all the time, but enough to be aggravating. I really don't
>>> need ReadyBoost, I have 2GB RAM. But, I do find it helps a bit
>>> when I'm running a virtual machine. Typically, if you have over
>>> 1GB RAM, you will not notice any performance increase using
>>> ReadyBoost.
>>>
>>> The easiest way I've found to get ReadyBoost working again-
>>> right click your device and format it- either FAT or FAT32.
>>> After the format, you may have to click "Test Again" a couple
>>> of times.
>>>

>>> Take care,
>>>
>>> Michael

MICHAEL

Re: Ready Boost missing in action?
Okay- I didn't say anything about stopping the service.
I'll take your statement to mean it is still trying to stop
the service- it's hung/frozen. You need to reboot.

Make sure the ReadyBoost service is on Automatic.
Restart your computer.

Now try some of the suggestions again.

-Michael

> Well, as I said in the first post, stopping the service will put it in the infinite stopping
> condition. By the way, this does not happen to my other machine.
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Did you restart the ReadyBoost service?
>>
>> Pull the drive out and stick it back in.
>> I'll leave my general copy and paste
>> reply below, for a little more info.

>> ReadyBoost can be a tricky thing to get working
>> on some flash drives, and a lot of flash drives
>> just aren't fast enough for ReadyBoost.
>>
>> Try this first;
>> Go into Device Manager>Disk Drives
>> Find your flash drive. Double click it.
>> Policies tab.
>> Make sure "Optimize for performance" is checked.
>>
>> Test again.
>>
>> Sometimes even formatting the drive can do the trick.
>> Either FAT or FAT32.
>>
>> Make sure it's not plugged into a USB hub.
>> Or, try plugging it into another slot.
>>

>> ReadyBoost - Using Your USB Key to Speed Up Windows Vista
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...14/576548.aspx
>>

>> "Programatix" <N0_programatix_Sp^mming@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, the Ready Boost tab is missing... so can't really click the Test button anyway.
>>> Sigh... anyway, I have 1.2GB of RAM.

Victek

> "Ken Gardner" <kesgardner@charter.net> wrote in message
>> "MICHAEL" :
>>
>>> The easiest way I've found to get ReadyBoost working again-
>>> right click your device and format it- either FAT or FAT32.
>>> After the format, you may have to click "Test Again" a couple
>>> of times.

>> Why FAT or FAT32? I formatted mine with NTFS and it is working fine.

> Typically, on USB flash drives, FAT is the default format.
> On small drives, many say that FAT is a bit faster than NTFS.
>
> If it is working for you, don't "fix" it. :-)
>

> -Michael

What do you think about the amount or ram that Windows Vista recommends for
ReadyBoost? I plugged in a 1gb flash drive and "Windows recommends using
880mgs for optimal performance." Why not use the whole stick? And by the
way, where is the "test" option? I don't see it on the ReadyBoost
properties tab.

"Victek" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message news:eVyqeD6SHHA.1200@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ken Gardner" <kesgardner@charter.net> wrote in message
>>> "MICHAEL" :

>>> Why FAT or FAT32? I formatted mine with NTFS and it is working fine.

>> Typically, on USB flash drives, FAT is the default format.
>> On small drives, many say that FAT is a bit faster than NTFS.
>>
>> If it is working for you, don't "fix" it. :-)
>>

>> -Michael

> What do you think about the amount or ram that Windows Vista recommends for
> ReadyBoost?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. ReadyBoost is not RAM.
If you have over 1GB of RAM, you will not see much of an increase
in performance using ReadyBoost.

> I plugged in a 1gb flash drive and "Windows recommends using
> 880mgs for optimal performance." Why not use the whole stick? And by the
> way, where is the "test" option? I don't see it on the ReadyBoost
> properties tab.

The recommendation is just that. You can use the slider to adjust it
so that it uses more. That recommendation is basically saying,
use at least 880MB for optimal performance. But, you can use more.

If your device is already being used for ReadyBoost, the "Test Again"
will not be there.

-Michael