Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA

Imageman

Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
Windows Vista 64 bit / Plextor PX-755SA / 4 GB memory /

Several months ago, I lost the ability to write to my Plextor. I have
installed the latest firmware (v107), installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9
upgrade as recommended and provided by Plextor.

I was using the Roxio 'Drag-To-Disk' feature to back up my daily
photography. After filling up a DVD-RW and inserting a new disk as I had
done many times, I suddenly got the 'can't format', or 'no disk in drive'
messages (or similar) from both Roxio, and also from Windows Vista when I
use the default Microsoft process. I've tried all the different disk formats
that are supposed to be compatible with the Plextor. No idea what to do
next. Help appreciated, and thanks - IM

Cal Bear '66

Re: Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
Is your drive recognized in Device Manager with no problems?

If you get an error code, you could try the fix here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/929461/en-us

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
news:ncqdnU6w4KpHgSfbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> Windows Vista 64 bit / Plextor PX-755SA / 4 GB memory /
>
> Several months ago, I lost the ability to write to my Plextor. I have
> installed the latest firmware (v107), installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9
> upgrade as recommended and provided by Plextor.
>
> I was using the Roxio 'Drag-To-Disk' feature to back up my daily photography.
> After filling up a DVD-RW and inserting a new disk as I had done many times, I
> suddenly got the 'can't format', or 'no disk in drive' messages (or similar)
> from both Roxio, and also from Windows Vista when I use the default Microsoft
> process. I've tried all the different disk formats that are supposed to be
> compatible with the Plextor. No idea what to do next. Help appreciated, and
> thanks - IM

Imageman

Re: Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
Thanks Cal - Device Manager says working fine, no error codes - IM

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> Is your drive recognized in Device Manager with no problems?
>
> If you get an error code, you could try the fix here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/929461/en-us
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
> news:ncqdnU6w4KpHgSfbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> Windows Vista 64 bit / Plextor PX-755SA / 4 GB memory /
>>
>> Several months ago, I lost the ability to write to my Plextor. I have
>> installed the latest firmware (v107), installed Roxio Easy Media Creator
>> 9 upgrade as recommended and provided by Plextor.
>>
>> I was using the Roxio 'Drag-To-Disk' feature to back up my daily
>> photography. After filling up a DVD-RW and inserting a new disk as I had
>> done many times, I suddenly got the 'can't format', or 'no disk in drive'
>> messages (or similar) from both Roxio, and also from Windows Vista when I
>> use the default Microsoft process. I've tried all the different disk
>> formats that are supposed to be compatible with the Plextor. No idea what
>> to do next. Help appreciated, and thanks - IM

Cal Bear '66

Re: Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
Some people have had luck with issues like this by deleting the INFCACHE.1 file
in C:\Windows\inf.

If I were you I would rename the file INFCACHE.1.BAK (or move it to your desktop
temporarily), reboot, and see if the problem persists.

--

news:3audnUDJRu8qtifbnZ2dnUVZ_rKtnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> Thanks Cal - Device Manager says working fine, no error codes - IM
>

> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> Is your drive recognized in Device Manager with no problems?
>>
>> If you get an error code, you could try the fix here:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/929461/en-us
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
>> news:ncqdnU6w4KpHgSfbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>> Windows Vista 64 bit / Plextor PX-755SA / 4 GB memory /
>>>
>>> Several months ago, I lost the ability to write to my Plextor. I have
>>> installed the latest firmware (v107), installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9
>>> upgrade as recommended and provided by Plextor.
>>>
>>> I was using the Roxio 'Drag-To-Disk' feature to back up my daily
>>> photography. After filling up a DVD-RW and inserting a new disk as I had
>>> done many times, I suddenly got the 'can't format', or 'no disk in drive'
>>> messages (or similar) from both Roxio, and also from Windows Vista when I
>>> use the default Microsoft process. I've tried all the different disk formats
>>> that are supposed to be compatible with the Plextor. No idea what to do
>>> next. Help appreciated, and thanks - IM

Imageman

Re: Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
Cal - This worked, though it took me couple hours to figure out how to give
myself 'permissions' to make the change, So with your help, I've learned a
lot - Thank you VERY much, IM

> Some people have had luck with issues like this by deleting the INFCACHE.1
> file
> in C:\Windows\inf.
>
> If I were you I would rename the file INFCACHE.1.BAK (or move it to your
> desktop
> temporarily), reboot, and see if the problem persists.
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
> news:3audnUDJRu8qtifbnZ2dnUVZ_rKtnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> Thanks Cal - Device Manager says working fine, no error codes - IM
>>

>> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>>> Is your drive recognized in Device Manager with no problems?
>>>
>>> If you get an error code, you could try the fix here:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/929461/en-us
>>>
>>> --
>>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>>> GO BEARS!
>>>

>>> "Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
>>> news:ncqdnU6w4KpHgSfbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@giganews.com ...

Cal Bear '66

Re: Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
You're most welcome.

Great news that you got it to work.

I will try to give better and more complete instructions in the future!

--

news:zZedncgjb9DqaiDbnZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> Cal - This worked, though it took me couple hours to figure out how to give
> myself 'permissions' to make the change, So with your help, I've learned a
> lot - Thank you VERY much, IM
>

> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> Some people have had luck with issues like this by deleting the INFCACHE.1
>> file
>> in C:\Windows\inf.
>>
>> If I were you I would rename the file INFCACHE.1.BAK (or move it to your
>> desktop
>> temporarily), reboot, and see if the problem persists.
>>

>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
>> news:3audnUDJRu8qtifbnZ2dnUVZ_rKtnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>> Thanks Cal - Device Manager says working fine, no error codes - IM

Imageman

Re: Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
Cal - Not only did your advice and the drive work, my big stack of CD and
DVD 'coasters' formatted, and are now functional again. I'm a photographer,
and my workflow calls for a daily copy of the days work on DVD's, and they
go to a location out of my studio. I get very nervous when I can't do the
backup - Thanks again :-) - IM

> You're most welcome.
>
> Great news that you got it to work.
>
> I will try to give better and more complete instructions in the future!
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
> news:zZedncgjb9DqaiDbnZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> Cal - This worked, though it took me couple hours to figure out how to
>> give myself 'permissions' to make the change, So with your help, I've
>> learned a lot - Thank you VERY much, IM
>>

>> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>>> Some people have had luck with issues like this by deleting the
>>> INFCACHE.1 file
>>> in C:\Windows\inf.
>>>
>>> If I were you I would rename the file INFCACHE.1.BAK (or move it to your
>>> desktop
>>> temporarily), reboot, and see if the problem persists.
>>>

>>> --
>>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>>> GO BEARS!
>>>

>>> "Imageman" <Images@Clean.New> wrote in message
>>> news:3audnUDJRu8qtifbnZ2dnUVZ_rKtnZ2d@giganews.com ...

Cal Bear '66

Re: Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA
Good news, indeed!

Relax and enjoy!