BSOD from plugging in a LCD?

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgTy4=?=

BSOD from plugging in a LCD?
I have an HP DV6263CL running Vista Ultimate 64bit. All hardware was
detected properly and the drivers appear to be working fine.

When I plug in my brand new Samsung 420BW 19" LCD I get a BSOD claiming that
IGDKMD64.SYS had a problem. The memory address changes each time but its
generally a variant of FFFF980040ED###. I found the XP64 driver for the
monitor but it does nothing as Vista doesn't want to use it for the #2
monitor. It only wants to use it for #1 which is the screen on the laptop.
Can't seem to force it either.

The screen works perfectly if its plugged in while the computer is booting
but when Vista starts loading the desktop it will blue screen.

Vista Ultimate 32 bit running on my desktop works fine with the screen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks
- Peter
Richard G. Harper

Re: BSOD from plugging in a LCD?
Possibly a dodgy video display driver, I would either wait for updated
drivers or follow the hoary old advice, "If it hurts to do that, don't do
that!" Plugging in a digital monitor isn't the same as plugging in an older
analog monitor.

"Peter O." <PeterO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP DV6263CL running Vista Ultimate 64bit. All hardware was
> detected properly and the drivers appear to be working fine.
>
> When I plug in my brand new Samsung 420BW 19" LCD I get a BSOD claiming
> that
> IGDKMD64.SYS had a problem. The memory address changes each time but its
> generally a variant of FFFF980040ED###. I found the XP64 driver for the
> monitor but it does nothing as Vista doesn't want to use it for the #2
> monitor. It only wants to use it for #1 which is the screen on the
> laptop.
> Can't seem to force it either.
>
> The screen works perfectly if its plugged in while the computer is booting
> but when Vista starts loading the desktop it will blue screen.
>
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit running on my desktop works fine with the screen.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> thanks
> - Peter

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgTy4=?=

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Possibly a dodgy video display driver, I would either wait for updated
> drivers or follow the hoary old advice, "If it hurts to do that, don't do
> that!" Plugging in a digital monitor isn't the same as plugging in an older
> analog monitor.

> "Peter O." <PeterO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an HP DV6263CL running Vista Ultimate 64bit. All hardware was
> > detected properly and the drivers appear to be working fine.
> >
> > When I plug in my brand new Samsung 420BW 19" LCD I get a BSOD claiming
> > that
> > IGDKMD64.SYS had a problem. The memory address changes each time but its
> > generally a variant of FFFF980040ED###. I found the XP64 driver for the
> > monitor but it does nothing as Vista doesn't want to use it for the #2
> > monitor. It only wants to use it for #1 which is the screen on the
> > laptop.
> > Can't seem to force it either.
> >
> > The screen works perfectly if its plugged in while the computer is booting
> > but when Vista starts loading the desktop it will blue screen.
> >
> > Vista Ultimate 32 bit running on my desktop works fine with the screen.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > thanks
> > - Peter

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgTy4=?=

Re: BSOD from plugging in a LCD?
Don't know what happened with that previous post...

Im using the analog port on the laptop since it doesn't have a digital port.
Im also using the Generic PnP Monitor driver.

- Peter