Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found

Pi

Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
I have a 60Gb 5th generation ipod and several usb flash drives that used to
be recognized by Windows XP's native Plug and Play driver scheme. However,
after a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Windows is unable to find
drivers for any of my devices. I have followed other discussions and tried
things such as leaving devices plugged in and rebooting, directing Windows to
search for drivers in the C:\Windows folder, installing updates from Windows
Update, and other attempts. I am at the end of my creativity about getting
my ipod and flash drives to install so that I can use them. Having tried
previous suggestions, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Has Microsoft basically
dropped plug and play support in Vista? This would be an odd move, as these
devices are so widespread...
SandyG

RE: Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
I am having exactly the same issue with USB Flash Drives. I have several --
some install and others don't. Vista cannot find the drivers anywhere for the
problem drives and neither can I. All the drives work fine on my XP based
laptop.

"Pi" wrote:

> I have a 60Gb 5th generation ipod and several usb flash drives that used to
> be recognized by Windows XP's native Plug and Play driver scheme. However,
> after a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Windows is unable to find
> drivers for any of my devices. I have followed other discussions and tried
> things such as leaving devices plugged in and rebooting, directing Windows to
> search for drivers in the C:\Windows folder, installing updates from Windows
> Update, and other attempts. I am at the end of my creativity about getting
> my ipod and flash drives to install so that I can use them. Having tried
> previous suggestions, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Has Microsoft basically
> dropped plug and play support in Vista? This would be an odd move, as these
> devices are so widespread...

Cal Bear '66

Re: Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:

Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf

Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
your account full control.

Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
desktop.

REBOOT

Try plugging in your USB devices again.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"SandyG" <SandyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having exactly the same issue with USB Flash Drives. I have several --
> some install and others don't. Vista cannot find the drivers anywhere for the
> problem drives and neither can I. All the drives work fine on my XP based
> laptop.
>
> "Pi" wrote:
>
>> I have a 60Gb 5th generation ipod and several usb flash drives that used to
>> be recognized by Windows XP's native Plug and Play driver scheme. However,
>> after a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Windows is unable to find
>> drivers for any of my devices. I have followed other discussions and tried
>> things such as leaving devices plugged in and rebooting, directing Windows to
>> search for drivers in the C:\Windows folder, installing updates from Windows
>> Update, and other attempts. I am at the end of my creativity about getting
>> my ipod and flash drives to install so that I can use them. Having tried
>> previous suggestions, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Has Microsoft basically
>> dropped plug and play support in Vista? This would be an odd move, as these
>> devices are so widespread...

Pi

Re: Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
Thank you very much Cal Bear '66. Your tip sounds like it could have worked
for me. Hopefully it will be helpful to others also. Meanwhile, I got fed
up and ran a reinstall (upgrade) of Vista Ultimate 32 with all of my devices
plugged in. After the upgrade finished, the devices were recognized and
installed as normal. This fixed the issues for my 60Gb ipod and usb flash
drives. All of my files and programs of course are still intact, so I would
recommend this solution to any other people who are having persistent usb
problems. It'll take about an hour, but for whatever reason it fixed my
problem. Thanks to all who posted replies here.

I can't help thinking that Microsoft really needs to fix this issue, because
loads of people seem to be experiencing it in different forms.

Tom

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
>
> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
>
> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
> your account full control.
>
> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
> desktop.
>
> REBOOT
>
> Try plugging in your USB devices again.
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "SandyG" <SandyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having exactly the same issue with USB Flash Drives. I have several --
> > some install and others don't. Vista cannot find the drivers anywhere for the
> > problem drives and neither can I. All the drives work fine on my XP based
> > laptop.
> >
> > "Pi" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a 60Gb 5th generation ipod and several usb flash drives that used to
> >> be recognized by Windows XP's native Plug and Play driver scheme. However,
> >> after a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Windows is unable to find
> >> drivers for any of my devices. I have followed other discussions and tried
> >> things such as leaving devices plugged in and rebooting, directing Windows to
> >> search for drivers in the C:\Windows folder, installing updates from Windows
> >> Update, and other attempts. I am at the end of my creativity about getting
> >> my ipod and flash drives to install so that I can use them. Having tried
> >> previous suggestions, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Has Microsoft basically
> >> dropped plug and play support in Vista? This would be an odd move, as these
> >> devices are so widespread...

SandyG

Re: Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
Thanks, Cal Bear '66. Your solution worked and coincidentally solved a
driveer problem I was having with an Epson scanner.

I notice that INFCACHE.1 has not been regenerated. If it is not necessary
and it causes driver problems, you would think that Microsoft would eliminate
it or fix the problem.

All the best.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
>
> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
>
> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
> your account full control.
>
> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
> desktop.
>
> REBOOT
>
> Try plugging in your USB devices again.
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "SandyG" <SandyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having exactly the same issue with USB Flash Drives. I have several --
> > some install and others don't. Vista cannot find the drivers anywhere for the
> > problem drives and neither can I. All the drives work fine on my XP based
> > laptop.
> >
> > "Pi" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a 60Gb 5th generation ipod and several usb flash drives that used to
> >> be recognized by Windows XP's native Plug and Play driver scheme. However,
> >> after a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Windows is unable to find
> >> drivers for any of my devices. I have followed other discussions and tried
> >> things such as leaving devices plugged in and rebooting, directing Windows to
> >> search for drivers in the C:\Windows folder, installing updates from Windows
> >> Update, and other attempts. I am at the end of my creativity about getting
> >> my ipod and flash drives to install so that I can use them. Having tried
> >> previous suggestions, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Has Microsoft basically
> >> dropped plug and play support in Vista? This would be an odd move, as these
> >> devices are so widespread...

Cal Bear '66

Re: Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
You're welcome.

Glad you solved your problem(s).

The INFCACHE.1 problem only seems to happen on a relatively few users.

Luckily I have not had this problem.

--

> Thanks, Cal Bear '66. Your solution worked and coincidentally solved a
> driveer problem I was having with an Epson scanner.
>
> I notice that INFCACHE.1 has not been regenerated. If it is not necessary
> and it causes driver problems, you would think that Microsoft would eliminate
> it or fix the problem.
>
> All the best.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
>>
>> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
>>
>> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and
>> give
>> your account full control.
>>
>> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
>> desktop.
>>
>> REBOOT
>>
>> Try plugging in your USB devices again.
>>

>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "SandyG" <SandyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having exactly the same issue with USB Flash Drives. I have several --
>> > some install and others don't. Vista cannot find the drivers anywhere for
>> > the
>> > problem drives and neither can I. All the drives work fine on my XP based
>> > laptop.

Bleeding Hedge

Re: Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
Guess I'm another of the 'relatively few'...
I had Vista up and working, and a nice Patriot 2GB usb drive with ReadyBoost
humming along...then for some crazy reason I decided to upgrade my CPU and
memory (Athlon 64 3800+ to Athlon 64 x2 5200+, 2GB DDR to 2GB DDR2) and
that's working well with a noticeable improvement in boot-up and reduction in
overall CPU usage...but Vista doesn't like my USB drive any more. I tried
renaming INFCACHE.1 to INFCACHE1.bak and rebooting - no change. I tried
moving it out of the INF folder - no change. My other USB stuff (mouse,
keyboard, printer, other non-readyboost USB drives) work fine.
Any ideas, please?

Timbermax is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ipod, USB Flash Drive Drivers Not Found
I renamed the INFCACHE.1.BAK file and rebooted but I got an error message: Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it". Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post