Adding an unformatted drive un a USB external enclosure - help!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obm55IEM=?=

Adding an unformatted drive un a USB external enclosure - help!
I have an unformatted hard drive in a USB external enclosure. I know with XP
you needed to use PQ Magic or Acronis complete suite so create a partition
pointing to the new disk and then format it.

I had hoped that Vista would have built this functionality in. SO I plugged
the new disk in last night, and nothing. No drive letter.

Does anyone know how I can do it with native Vista, or do I need PQ Magic or
Acronis?

TIA

David A. Lessnau

Re: Adding an unformatted drive un a USB external enclosure - help!
After plugging in the drive open Computer Management. Under the Storage
section, open Disk Management. The drive should show up there. If you
right click on it, you should be able to format it and give it a drive
letter.

"Johnny C" <JohnnyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an unformatted hard drive in a USB external enclosure. I know with
>XP
> you needed to use PQ Magic or Acronis complete suite so create a partition
> pointing to the new disk and then format it.
>
> I had hoped that Vista would have built this functionality in. SO I
> plugged
> the new disk in last night, and nothing. No drive letter.
>
> Does anyone know how I can do it with native Vista, or do I need PQ Magic
> or
> Acronis?
>
> TIA

=?Utf-8?B?YnA=?=

Re: Adding an unformatted drive un a USB external enclosure - help

"David A. Lessnau" wrote:

You may just have to give it a drive letter. try that before formatting if
you have data on it.
XP would do the same thing

> After plugging in the drive open Computer Management. Under the Storage
> section, open Disk Management. The drive should show up there. If you
> right click on it, you should be able to format it and give it a drive
> letter.
>

> "Johnny C" <JohnnyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an unformatted hard drive in a USB external enclosure. I know with
> >XP
> > you needed to use PQ Magic or Acronis complete suite so create a partition
> > pointing to the new disk and then format it.
> >
> > I had hoped that Vista would have built this functionality in. SO I
> > plugged
> > the new disk in last night, and nothing. No drive letter.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can do it with native Vista, or do I need PQ Magic
> > or
> > Acronis?
> >
> > TIA

ekimssor

Re: Adding an unformatted drive un a USB external enclosure - help!

I am having the same problem as TIA.

But my external unformatted usb hdd does _NOT_ appear under Computer
Management --> Disk Management.

Any suggestions??

--M

--