Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer

=?Utf-8?B?SiBNYW4=?=

Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
I bought a 4.0 GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro w/ U3. It worked fine under XP.
My Memorex 1.0 GB flash drive works fine under XP and Vista.

Vista doesn't recognize U3 technology...no problem. When I configured
ReadyBoost to use the Cruzer, everything appeared normal. Shortly thereafter
I went to look at the files on the Cruzer, only to discover that the drive
had been formatted/files deleted. The Cruzer's total capacity was now only
0.98MB. Vista also started recognizing it as a CD/DVD Drive in Device
Manager.

The Cruzer is now unusable (except for 0.98MB) and I'm out $125.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I avoid these particular flash
drives? Help or suggestions?
Chuck McDevitt

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
Get the U3 removal software. The drive is partitioned into two sections,
one 1MB, and the second the rest of the drive.
Vista only sees the first. Once U3 is removed, the whole drive is
available.

"J Man" <J Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a 4.0 GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro w/ U3. It worked fine under XP.
> My Memorex 1.0 GB flash drive works fine under XP and Vista.
>
> Vista doesn't recognize U3 technology...no problem. When I configured
> ReadyBoost to use the Cruzer, everything appeared normal. Shortly
> thereafter
> I went to look at the files on the Cruzer, only to discover that the drive
> had been formatted/files deleted. The Cruzer's total capacity was now
> only
> 0.98MB. Vista also started recognizing it as a CD/DVD Drive in Device
> Manager.
>
> The Cruzer is now unusable (except for 0.98MB) and I'm out $125.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Should I avoid these particular flash
> drives? Help or suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?SiBNYW4=?=

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
I tried to do that when all else had failed. The Removal Tool says something
like "Please insert a SanDisk USB compatible device into the comptuer."
Anyway, it doesn't detect the drive is even plugged in and won't run the
program. The file system was FAT32 when the Cruzer was new. Now, the only
options are FAT abd NTFS. Anything else I should try?

"Chuck McDevitt" wrote:

> Get the U3 removal software. The drive is partitioned into two sections,
> one 1MB, and the second the rest of the drive.
> Vista only sees the first. Once U3 is removed, the whole drive is
> available.
>
> "J Man" <J Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a 4.0 GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro w/ U3. It worked fine under XP.
> > My Memorex 1.0 GB flash drive works fine under XP and Vista.
> >
> > Vista doesn't recognize U3 technology...no problem. When I configured
> > ReadyBoost to use the Cruzer, everything appeared normal. Shortly
> > thereafter
> > I went to look at the files on the Cruzer, only to discover that the drive
> > had been formatted/files deleted. The Cruzer's total capacity was now
> > only
> > 0.98MB. Vista also started recognizing it as a CD/DVD Drive in Device
> > Manager.
> >
> > The Cruzer is now unusable (except for 0.98MB) and I'm out $125.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem? Should I avoid these particular flash
> > drives? Help or suggestions?

Byron Hinson

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
You'll have to return it - the Sandisk Cruzers are showing problems with
Vista's readyboost, i've already had to return one after a review!

--
Byron Hinson
ActiveWin Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com

>I tried to do that when all else had failed. The Removal Tool says
>something
> like "Please insert a SanDisk USB compatible device into the comptuer."
> Anyway, it doesn't detect the drive is even plugged in and won't run the
> program. The file system was FAT32 when the Cruzer was new. Now, the
> only
> options are FAT abd NTFS. Anything else I should try?
>
> "Chuck McDevitt" wrote:
>
>> Get the U3 removal software. The drive is partitioned into two sections,
>> one 1MB, and the second the rest of the drive.
>> Vista only sees the first. Once U3 is removed, the whole drive is
>> available.
>>
>> "J Man" <J Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I bought a 4.0 GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro w/ U3. It worked fine under XP.
>> > My Memorex 1.0 GB flash drive works fine under XP and Vista.
>> >
>> > Vista doesn't recognize U3 technology...no problem. When I configured
>> > ReadyBoost to use the Cruzer, everything appeared normal. Shortly
>> > thereafter
>> > I went to look at the files on the Cruzer, only to discover that the
>> > drive
>> > had been formatted/files deleted. The Cruzer's total capacity was now
>> > only
>> > 0.98MB. Vista also started recognizing it as a CD/DVD Drive in Device
>> > Manager.
>> >
>> > The Cruzer is now unusable (except for 0.98MB) and I'm out $125.
>> >
>> > Has anyone else had this problem? Should I avoid these particular
>> > flash
>> > drives? Help or suggestions?

Chuck McDevitt

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
I forgot... The U3 removal software doesn't run under Vista... You need to
use an XP computer to run it.

"J Man" <JMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to do that when all else had failed. The Removal Tool says
>something
> like "Please insert a SanDisk USB compatible device into the comptuer."
> Anyway, it doesn't detect the drive is even plugged in and won't run the
> program. The file system was FAT32 when the Cruzer was new. Now, the
> only
> options are FAT abd NTFS. Anything else I should try?
>
> "Chuck McDevitt" wrote:
>
>> Get the U3 removal software. The drive is partitioned into two sections,
>> one 1MB, and the second the rest of the drive.
>> Vista only sees the first. Once U3 is removed, the whole drive is
>> available.

HDFatBoy2003

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
I used the "generic" removal tools, as the one for Scandisk didn't recognize
my micro 512mb stick. The generic did and cleaned oiff the U3 launcher.

"Chuck McDevitt" <Chuck_McDevitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I forgot... The U3 removal software doesn't run under Vista... You need to
>use an XP computer to run it.
>

> "J Man" <JMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I tried to do that when all else had failed. The Removal Tool says
>>something
>> like "Please insert a SanDisk USB compatible device into the comptuer."
>> Anyway, it doesn't detect the drive is even plugged in and won't run the
>> program. The file system was FAT32 when the Cruzer was new. Now, the
>> only
>> options are FAT abd NTFS. Anything else I should try?
>>
>> "Chuck McDevitt" wrote:
>>
>>> Get the U3 removal software. The drive is partitioned into two
>>> sections,
>>> one 1MB, and the second the rest of the drive.
>>> Vista only sees the first. Once U3 is removed, the whole drive is
>>> available.

=?Utf-8?B?aW50Y2xhc3M=?=

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
Your right there chuck. I had to find an XP machine to use before I could
remove the stupid U3 software on my Cruzer.

"Chuck McDevitt" wrote:

> I forgot... The U3 removal software doesn't run under Vista... You need to
> use an XP computer to run it.
>

> "J Man" <JMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to do that when all else had failed. The Removal Tool says
> >something
> > like "Please insert a SanDisk USB compatible device into the comptuer."
> > Anyway, it doesn't detect the drive is even plugged in and won't run the
> > program. The file system was FAT32 when the Cruzer was new. Now, the
> > only
> > options are FAT abd NTFS. Anything else I should try?
> >
> > "Chuck McDevitt" wrote:
> >
> >> Get the U3 removal software. The drive is partitioned into two sections,
> >> one 1MB, and the second the rest of the drive.
> >> Vista only sees the first. Once U3 is removed, the whole drive is
> >> available.

BeauL

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
Had to format mine in Vista and lost ALL my backup data from XP.

Hugh Jass

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
If you format ANY drive in ANY OS, you will of curse loose the data on it!!!

"BeauL" <BeauFriends@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171907971.055332.79600@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
> Had to format mine in Vista and lost ALL my backup data from XP.

Thomas Goodson

Re: Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer
AMEN!

news:45dd5d60$0$16382$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .