System partition

Dave Heron

System partition
How does Vista decide which partition is made the system partition?
pete

Re: System partition
You decide when you tell it to install to a certain partition.
peter
"Dave Heron" <mork@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> How does Vista decide which partition is made the system partition?

Dave Heron

Re: System partition
Let me explain. I have 3 drives... There are 4 primary partitions:
C -Vista is installed on this drive. In Disk Management, it is my D
partition that is marked as the system partition. I would like to change the
letter of this partition but cannot for this reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

"pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> You decide when you tell it to install to a certain partition.
> peter
> "Dave Heron" <mork@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> How does Vista decide which partition is made the system partition?

pete

Re: System partition
The question comes up as to which partition was the original System Boot
Partition before you installed Vista???
> Let me explain. I have 3 drives... There are 4 primary partitions:
> C -Vista is installed on this drive. In Disk Management, it is my D
> partition that is marked as the system partition. I would like to change
> the letter of this partition but cannot for this reason.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> "pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> You decide when you tell it to install to a certain partition.
>> peter
>> "Dave Heron" <mork@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> How does Vista decide which partition is made the system partition?

Dave Heron

Re: System partition
I previously had XP installed on what is now the E drive. The D drive has
only ever been used to store music and stuff on.

> The question comes up as to which partition was the original System Boot
> Partition before you installed Vista???
> peter
> "Dave Heron" <mork@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Let me explain. I have 3 drives... There are 4 primary partitions:
>> C -Vista is installed on this drive. In Disk Management, it is my D
>> partition that is marked as the system partition. I would like to change
>> the letter of this partition but cannot for this reason.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>

>> "pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> You decide when you tell it to install to a certain partition.
>>> peter

andy

Re: System partition
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:00:05 -0000, "Dave Heron"
<mork@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Let me explain. I have 3 drives... There are 4 primary partitions:
>C -Vista is installed on this drive. In Disk Management, it is my D
>partition that is marked as the system partition. I would like to change the
>letter of this partition but cannot for this reason.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>

>"pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> You decide when you tell it to install to a certain partition.
>> peter
>> "Dave Heron" <mork@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> How does Vista decide which partition is made the system partition?

The system partition is a disk's active primary partition. During
Windows installation, setup is supposed to determine from the BIOS
which disk is set to be booted from, and it's in that disk's active
primary partition that Windows boot files are stored, which makes it
the system partition.