Monitor doesnt turn off

Diamontina Cocktail

Monitor doesnt turn off
Latest video card drivers for Vista and installed them.

No updated driver for the monitor at all and unlikely ever to be.

Monitor set to turn off (set numerous times) to 10 minutes, screen saver set
to 5 minutes.

Screen saver comes ON at 5 minutes and monitor STAYS that way indefinitely.

So, though I have tried numerous things such as changing the profile for the
monitor etc, nothing makes any difference.

Thus, hoping someone has an idea how to fix this problem.

pete

Re: Monitor doesnt turn off
Ok I just tested this and the same thing happens on mine..BUT
if I use no screen saver then the monitor does turn off...so that brings up
the question
Is the screen saver keeping the monitor on????
peter
"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
> Latest video card drivers for Vista and installed them.
>
> No updated driver for the monitor at all and unlikely ever to be.
>
> Monitor set to turn off (set numerous times) to 10 minutes, screen saver
> set to 5 minutes.
>
> Screen saver comes ON at 5 minutes and monitor STAYS that way
> indefinitely.
>
> So, though I have tried numerous things such as changing the profile for
> the monitor etc, nothing makes any difference.
>
> Thus, hoping someone has an idea how to fix this problem.

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Monitor doesnt turn off
REALLY!? That is the one thing I DIDNT try! Will go apply that now and get
back to you later in the day. Thanks for that! If mine is the same then
maybe your conclusion is correct. I did the picture screen saver and I have
noted that the *.scr for that one is a running task even when I am using the
machine. So you are likley correct!!

"pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Ok I just tested this and the same thing happens on mine..BUT
> if I use no screen saver then the monitor does turn off...so that brings
> up the question
> Is the screen saver keeping the monitor on????
> peter
> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>> Latest video card drivers for Vista and installed them.
>>
>> No updated driver for the monitor at all and unlikely ever to be.
>>
>> Monitor set to turn off (set numerous times) to 10 minutes, screen saver
>> set to 5 minutes.
>>
>> Screen saver comes ON at 5 minutes and monitor STAYS that way
>> indefinitely.
>>
>> So, though I have tried numerous things such as changing the profile for
>> the monitor etc, nothing makes any difference.
>>
>> Thus, hoping someone has an idea how to fix this problem.

David A. Lessnau

Re: Monitor doesnt turn off
On my system, the screen doesn't power down if I use the Photos screen
saver. If I use Bubbles, it does power down. I guess that's reasonable
given that Photos displays content and Bubbles just adds bubbles.

> REALLY!? That is the one thing I DIDNT try! Will go apply that now and get
> back to you later in the day. Thanks for that! If mine is the same then
> maybe your conclusion is correct. I did the picture screen saver and I
> have noted that the *.scr for that one is a running task even when I am
> using the machine. So you are likley correct!!
>

> "pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Ok I just tested this and the same thing happens on mine..BUT
>> if I use no screen saver then the monitor does turn off...so that brings
>> up the question
>> Is the screen saver keeping the monitor on????
>> peter
>> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>> Latest video card drivers for Vista and installed them.
>>>
>>> No updated driver for the monitor at all and unlikely ever to be.
>>>
>>> Monitor set to turn off (set numerous times) to 10 minutes, screen saver
>>> set to 5 minutes.
>>>
>>> Screen saver comes ON at 5 minutes and monitor STAYS that way
>>> indefinitely.
>>>
>>> So, though I have tried numerous things such as changing the profile for
>>> the monitor etc, nothing makes any difference.
>>>
>>> Thus, hoping someone has an idea how to fix this problem.

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Monitor doesnt turn off

Hey PETE!

It works that way. So now I have no screen saver as that is the only way to
stop the monitor being on short of a third party program.

One thing it does do though - it sometimes makes the damned monitor not
respond at all no matter what I do so then I have to hit the reset button,
darn it!

Anyway, your idea worked! thanks!

"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
> REALLY!? That is the one thing I DIDNT try! Will go apply that now and get
> back to you later in the day. Thanks for that! If mine is the same then
> maybe your conclusion is correct. I did the picture screen saver and I
> have noted that the *.scr for that one is a running task even when I am
> using the machine. So you are likley correct!!
>

> "pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Ok I just tested this and the same thing happens on mine..BUT
>> if I use no screen saver then the monitor does turn off...so that brings
>> up the question
>> Is the screen saver keeping the monitor on????
>> peter
>> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>> Latest video card drivers for Vista and installed them.
>>>
>>> No updated driver for the monitor at all and unlikely ever to be.
>>>
>>> Monitor set to turn off (set numerous times) to 10 minutes, screen saver
>>> set to 5 minutes.
>>>
>>> Screen saver comes ON at 5 minutes and monitor STAYS that way
>>> indefinitely.
>>>
>>> So, though I have tried numerous things such as changing the profile for
>>> the monitor etc, nothing makes any difference.
>>>
>>> Thus, hoping someone has an idea how to fix this problem.

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Monitor doesnt turn off
I dont see it is areasonable to be honest. In Xp, "My Pictures Slideshow"
would allow the monitor to power down so why doesnt Photos?

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2EAB233E-1696-4061-A902-5A601EE3E364@microsoft.com...