vista can't boot when i have usb devices

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

vista can't boot when i have usb devices
I have a gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G motherboard and an ultimate vista version!When
i try to start vista and my wd mybook essential 250 gb disk or my transcend
card reader are connected, vista can't go on welcome screen!When i unplug the
usb devices, they start.And then i plug my usb devices again and they
recognise the devices.Vista don,t recognise my wd quick.About a minute or two
later. Any advices?
Kerry Brown

Re: vista can't boot when i have usb devices
In the BIOS disable anything to do with booting from a USB device.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G motherboard and an ultimate vista
>version!When
> i try to start vista and my wd mybook essential 250 gb disk or my
> transcend
> card reader are connected, vista can't go on welcome screen!When i unplug
> the
> usb devices, they start.And then i plug my usb devices again and they
> recognise the devices.Vista don,t recognise my wd quick.About a minute or
> two
> later. Any advices?

Dustin Harper

Re: vista can't boot when i have usb devices
You can set up your BIOS to boot from a USB device. Check to see if that
setting is disabled.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Jim wrote:
> I have a gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G motherboard and an ultimate vista version!When
> i try to start vista and my wd mybook essential 250 gb disk or my transcend
> card reader are connected, vista can't go on welcome screen!When i unplug the
> usb devices, they start.And then i plug my usb devices again and they
> recognise the devices.Vista don,t recognise my wd quick.About a minute or two
> later. Any advices?

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> You can set up your BIOS to boot from a USB device. Check to see if that
> setting is disabled.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> Jim wrote:
> > I have a gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G motherboard and an ultimate vista version!When
> > i try to start vista and my wd mybook essential 250 gb disk or my transcend
> > card reader are connected, vista can't go on welcome screen!When i unplug the
> > usb devices, they start.And then i plug my usb devices again and they
> > recognise the devices.Vista don,t recognise my wd quick.About a minute or two
> > later. Any advices?

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

Re: vista can't boot when i have usb devices
I did it but nothing...Windows xp don't have this problem.I forgot to mention
that i have microsoft wireless desktop(mouse+keyboard) in one usb device and
it doesn't have any problem.
mikeyhsd

Re: vista can't boot when i have usb devices
see if this KB article applies to you and may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528/en-us

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> see if this KB article applies to you and may help.

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5FC49AA-C0E2-4B4E-AAB2-FEECB95FE19F@microsoft.com...
> I have a gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G motherboard and an ultimate vista version!When
> i try to start vista and my wd mybook essential 250 gb disk or my transcend
> card reader are connected, vista can't go on welcome screen!When i unplug the
> usb devices, they start.And then i plug my usb devices again and they
> recognise the devices.Vista don,t recognise my wd quick.About a minute or two
> later. Any advices?

That update didn't help.I can boot vista with my wd but i have to wait a
minute before welcome screen.If i plug my device when running vista it takes
about half a minute.(I don't care so much about card reader).I noticed that
the problem is from the time that windows recognises that there is a usb
device conncted(almost immediatelly) till the recognition of the device
(external wd 250)
NWMale

RE: vista can't boot when i have usb devices
Jim
I have the same problem with my Microsoft Web cam. The problem is with
Vista, even if you disable the boot to USB setting in the Bios, you may
notice a statement "This operating system will still try to boot to USB".
This appears in the bios window.
My computer boots just fine without the cam unplugged. Once it starts, I
re-plug the cam in. Until Microsoft comes up with a fix, I guess that is all
you can do. Changing the settings not to boot to USB just doesn't work.
DELL support pointed this problem out to me and I guess they were right this
time.