ASUS A8N SLI Premium onboard sound question

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

ASUS A8N SLI Premium onboard sound question
Are there Vista drivers in the box for the onboard sound?

They have screwed up the Creative drivers so bad I am getting all kinds of
performance issues with them and it looks like it will be MONTHS before I get
a full working driver.

I want to try my onboard sound , anyone using this same board and have GOOD
working sound?
Keith

Re: ASUS A8N SLI Premium onboard sound question
I have this board and I picked up the drivers from Realtek's website - note
that I'm using Ultimate X64. I wouldn't call the sound GOOD, but it is
better than nothing, as I'm also waiting on the sound card manufacturer to
release vista drivers.

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are there Vista drivers in the box for the onboard sound?
>
> They have screwed up the Creative drivers so bad I am getting all kinds of
> performance issues with them and it looks like it will be MONTHS before I
> get
> a full working driver.
>
> I want to try my onboard sound , anyone using this same board and have
> GOOD
> working sound?

Ron Miller

Rob wrote:
> Are there Vista drivers in the box for the onboard sound?
>
> They have screwed up the Creative drivers so bad I am getting all kinds of
> performance issues with them and it looks like it will be MONTHS before I get
> a full working driver.
>
> I want to try my onboard sound , anyone using this same board and have GOOD
> working sound?

I have an A8N-SLI Premium, but I never installed a sound card, so I
can't give you a comparison between the onboard sound and a
Soundblaster. Vista installed a driver for the onboard sound, and it
sounded at least as good as it does in XP, but I kept getting a message
that the driver wasn't designed for Vista. I therefore downloaded the
Vista driver from Realtek. The sound seems great to me, but I'm neither
a gamer nor an audiophile. I think you'll be very satisfied with it
until Creative gets their act together.

BTW, one reason I've always used the onboard sound with this motherboard
is that over the years, I finally became so damned fed up with
Creative's constant tardiness in developing decent drivers that I
couldn't bring myself to purchase another piece of their hardware. I've
no regrets so far.
=?Utf-8?B?bWlyYW1pczgy?=

"Rob" wrote:

> Are there Vista drivers in the box for the onboard sound?
>
> They have screwed up the Creative drivers so bad I am getting all kinds of
> performance issues with them and it looks like it will be MONTHS before I get
> a full working driver.
>
> I want to try my onboard sound , anyone using this same board and have GOOD
> working sound?

Realtek is the maker of the onboard sound (AC'97) for this board, I've just
switched mine on and downloaded the drivers from Realtek, it's not great but
I personally think it sounds better than my SB Audigy 2 ZS does with the
drivers right now.

I have not idea what games will sound like with this yet though, all I do
know is that Sims 2 sounded just terrible with the vista/creative drivers
It may take some tweaking to get the sound somewhere near how you want it,
but it's worth it in my opinion.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
By the way, Nvidia have NForce/vista drivers for the chipset on this board
too.