Upgrade options after Vista install?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFyb2w=?=

Upgrade options after Vista install?
I have Vista Business sitting on my desk and I'm dying to install it on my
PC. But I must know about a question that has been nagging me.

Microsoft has decreed that you may only do enough hardware upgrades to your
PC before Vista determines you need to buy another license. The EULA was
changed halfway through beta so I'm not sure at all anymore.

My question is, can I upgrade my CPU and add more memory with Vista already
installed, or should I wait until after I purchase the CPU to do so? As of
right now, my PC is more then capable of handling the OS as it has with beta
pretty nicely. But I want to take full advantage of the DX10 games and future
development so its kind of vital I know before I go into installing the new
OS.
Jane C

Re: Upgrade options after Vista install?
If your copy of Vista Business is retail, either full or upgrade, you may
upgrade your computer as you wish. The worst thing that may happen is that
Vista may determine that you have reached the trigger point for a
reactivation. If online reactivation fails, you will be able to reactivate
by telephone.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Jarol" <Jarol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Business sitting on my desk and I'm dying to install it on my
> PC. But I must know about a question that has been nagging me.
>
> Microsoft has decreed that you may only do enough hardware upgrades to
> your
> PC before Vista determines you need to buy another license. The EULA was
> changed halfway through beta so I'm not sure at all anymore.
>
> My question is, can I upgrade my CPU and add more memory with Vista
> already
> installed, or should I wait until after I purchase the CPU to do so? As of
> right now, my PC is more then capable of handling the OS as it has with
> beta
> pretty nicely. But I want to take full advantage of the DX10 games and
> future
> development so its kind of vital I know before I go into installing the
> new
> OS.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrade options after Vista install?
Any "retail version" of Windows Vista permits any
hardware changes you wish to make, now or in the
future. If you have an "OEM version", then the only
upgrade not permitted is the motherboard.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jarol" wrote:

I have Vista Business sitting on my desk and I'm dying to install it on my
PC. But I must know about a question that has been nagging me.

Microsoft has decreed that you may only do enough hardware upgrades to your
PC before Vista determines you need to buy another license. The EULA was
changed halfway through beta so I'm not sure at all anymore.

My question is, can I upgrade my CPU and add more memory with Vista already
installed, or should I wait until after I purchase the CPU to do so? As of
right now, my PC is more then capable of handling the OS as it has with beta
pretty nicely. But I want to take full advantage of the DX10 games and future
development so its kind of vital I know before I go into installing the new
OS.
=?Utf-8?B?SmFyb2w=?=

Re: Upgrade options after Vista install?
That is all kinds of awesome and definitely a relief. I'll be installing it
soon then~