New Chip - will I need to revalidate VISTA?

Rod Davies

New Chip - will I need to revalidate VISTA?
Hi

if I replace my chip will I need to revalidate Vista? Home Premium...

Tks
Rod
Nicholas Hanson

Re: New Chip - will I need to revalidate VISTA?
I replaced my CPU not too long ago but the chip I replaced it with was newer
then the motherboard so I needed to update the BIOS in order for it to
detect correctly. After replacing it I DID have to revalidate XP (this was
before I switched to Vista) however I suspect the reason was because of the
BIOS update not the CPU change. If you don't need to update your BIOS then
my guess (and that's all it is, a guess) would be that you won't have to
revalidate.

"Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> if I replace my chip will I need to revalidate Vista? Home Premium...
>
> Tks
> Rod

Donald McDaniel

Re: New Chip - will I need to revalidate VISTA?
"Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> if I replace my chip will I need to revalidate Vista? Home Premium...
>
> Tks
> Rod

Seems to me, the only ones worrying whether they will have to reactivate
their OSes after a minor hardware change are those with "less-than-official"
installations of Vista.

Everyone else knows there will be no problems having to reactivate their
installations, since Microsoft is required by law to continue activating a
license, as long as the customer abides by their EULAs.

BTW. there are many "chips" on a logic-board. Which one are you referring
to? It appears that you are referring to your CPU. Otherwise, the
Activation servers sees no change with a minor chip replacement, so
reactivation would be unnecessary.

To be more specific, you might have to reactivate your OS, if you've made
enough hardware changes to cause the activation records on your HD to exceed
their limits for change.

You will probably have to repair your OS after making a CPU change, unless
you want to reinstall the OS "clean".

Donald McDaniel

Ace

Re: New Chip - will I need to revalidate VISTA?
It is also quite possible these worrying people may be comprised of those
who cannot validate over The Internet or by Phone; either through some
issue with connectivity (software, hardware or restrictions set by
ISP/Company/Etc.) or physical/mental disability (audio/visual impairment,
difficulty understanding, etc.) for which there are little to no
provisions available as a workaround.

--
*Reply to newsgroup please.
*Your mileage may vary.
ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 11-Oct-2007, Ace <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Seems to me, the only ones worrying whether they will have to
> > reactivate their OSes after a minor hardware change are those with
> > "less-than-official" installations of Vista.

They may have fewer problems, but won't get the security patches
unless they can also find a "less-than-official" patch collection.
Ace

Re: New Chip - will I need to revalidate VISTA?
Slight misquote there Ato_zee
You quoted Donald McDaniel, not me.

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote in news:470e0992$0$8420$db0fefd9
@news.zen.co.uk:

> On 11-Oct-2007, Ace <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Seems to me, the only ones worrying whether they will have to
>> > reactivate their OSes after a minor hardware change are those with
>> > "less-than-official" installations of Vista.

> They may have fewer problems, but won't get the security patches
> unless they can also find a "less-than-official" patch collection.

Original thread below:

Ace <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns99C671951875FFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.24 8.16:

> It is also quite possible these worrying people may be comprised of
> those who cannot validate over The Internet or by Phone; either
> through some issue with connectivity (software, hardware or
> restrictions set by ISP/Company/Etc.) or physical/mental disability
> (audio/visual impairment, difficulty understanding, etc.) for which
> there are little to no provisions available as a workaround.
>

> "Donald McDaniel" <orthocross@comcast.invalid> wrote in
>
>> Seems to me, the only ones worrying whether they will have to
>> reactivate their OSes after a minor hardware change are those with
>> "less-than-official" installations of Vista.

--
*Reply to newsgroup please.
*Your mileage may vary.
*Spelling/Grammar errors free of charge.

A Chip on DVDs Could Prevent Theft Steve General Technology News 0 05-10-2007 05:06
Thinking of new CHIP only... Rod Davies microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 05-07-2007 05:22
Firewall-on-a-chip Paul Security News 0 03-19-2007 19:24
Sony dropping PlayStation 3 chip Steve General Technology News 0 03-09-2007 12:51
Tri-Vision V-Chip licensing update FCC mandate on flexible V-Chip in full effect Paul Security News 0 03-01-2007 23:23