PNP USB Devices not working with Vista

memanuel

PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
I have a USB flash drive and a USB MP3 player that worked well in Windows
XP. I'd plug them in and they'd work fine. In Vista however it's another
story, its like I'm pushing a piece of paper into the PC, there is no
acknowledgement that something's been inserted into the machine. There is
no beep (like I would get in XP). How can I get Vista to recognize these
devices?

Terence Liu [MSFT]

RE: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
Hello Customer,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that the Vista do not recognize
the USB devices which work under XP. If I have misunderstood the problem,
please don't hesitate to let me know.

First, the Vista is a new system, some devices may still do not compatible
with it. I suggest you confirm whether the devices are in the Vista
Hardware Compatibility List:

Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List
http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

Then, please contact your hardware vendor, and ask them whether they have
the device driver for the Vista. If yes, please install the device Vista
driver and test this issue again.

Additional, we have a tool called Windows Vista Hardware Assessment, it
will help you to judge whether the device compatible with vista. You can
download and install it on a XP computer. Then, plug the USB device, do a
scan of your computer. The Windows Vista Hardware Assessment will give you
a report, the report will let you know whether the device is compatible
with Vista.

Download: Windows Vista Hardware Assessment
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b76-3148-4e49-
943d-4d9ea7f77730&DisplayLang=en

Windows Vista Hardware Assessment Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sol...assessment/wv/
default.mspx

Hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
| From: "memanuel" <memanuel@rogers.om>
| Subject: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
| Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:34:34 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
|
| I have a USB flash drive and a USB MP3 player that worked well in Windows
| XP. I'd plug them in and they'd work fine. In Vista however it's
another
| story, its like I'm pushing a piece of paper into the PC, there is no
| acknowledgement that something's been inserted into the machine. There
is
| no beep (like I would get in XP). How can I get Vista to recognize these
| devices?

whiteSTUDIOare

RE: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
SUUUUUUURE.... X(

MY VISTA (Home Premium) DON'T WON'T TO INSTALL DRIVERS FOR:

-USB-sticks (ALL types)
-my USB WD external HD (500 GB)

"Terence Liu [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>
> Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
> ================================================== ===

> --------------------
> | From: "memanuel" <memanuel@rogers.om>
> | Subject: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
> | Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:34:34 -0400
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
> |
> | I have a USB flash drive and a USB MP3 player that worked well in Windows
> | XP. I'd plug them in and they'd work fine. In Vista however it's
> another
> | story, its like I'm pushing a piece of paper into the PC, there is no
> | acknowledgement that something's been inserted into the machine. There
> is
> | no beep (like I would get in XP). How can I get Vista to recognize these

Robert Li [MSFT]

RE: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
Hi,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

First please ensure the USB device is in the HCL list:

Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List
http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

Please take the following steps to narrow down this issue:

1. Please plug the USB divice to anther computer, will this work?

2. Please make a clean boot to make sure the problem is not caused third
party software:

1. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter.
2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable
All third party Services.
3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items.
4. Click OK and choose Restart.
5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs.
6. If there are no more problems, please use the above steps to enable
services and startup items one by one in order to figure out the root cause
of this issue.

If the problem persists, please help me collect the following information
for further research:

1. Screen shot of the error message.

2. Application log

1) Reproduce the issue:
2) Click Start -> Run, type EVENTVWR.MSC and click OK.
3) Right click the Application Event, select Save Log File as, save it to
.evt file.
4) Email me the file

Please send the information to v-robeli@microsoft.com with subject: PNP USB
Devices not working with Vista

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?d2hpdGVTVFVESU9hcmU=?=
<whiteSTUDIOare@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Subject: RE: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
<Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 04:50:00 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<
<SUUUUUUURE.... X(
<
<MY VISTA (Home Premium) DON'T WON'T TO INSTALL DRIVERS FOR:
<
<-USB-sticks (ALL types)
<-my USB WD external HD (500 GB)
<
<"Terence Liu [MSFT]" wrote:
<
<> Hello Customer,
<>
<> Thank you for posting here.
<>
[...]
<> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<>
<> ================================================== ===
[...]
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
<>
<> --------------------
<> | From: "memanuel" <memanuel@rogers.om>
<> | Subject: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
<> | Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:34:34 -0400
<> | Lines: 8
<> | Message-ID: <5D519645-6AF7-4CB9-BAC6-4F4FCBCD99C5@microsoft.com>
<> | MIME-Version: 1.0
<> | Content-Type: text/plain;
<> | format=flowed;
<> | charset="iso-8859-1";
<> | reply-type=original
<> | Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> | X-Priority: 3
<> | X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
<> | X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6000.16480
<> | X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6000.16480
<> | X-MS-CommunityGroup-PostID: {5D519645-6AF7-4CB9-BAC6-4F4FCBCD99C5}
<> | X-MS-CommunityGroup-MessageCategory:
<> {E4FCE0A9-75B4-4168-BFF9-16C22D8747EC}
<> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> | Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> | Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment :334
<> | NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl 127.0.0.1
<> | X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> |
<> | I have a USB flash drive and a USB MP3 player that worked well in
Windows
<> | XP. I'd plug them in and they'd work fine. In Vista however it's
<> another
<> | story, its like I'm pushing a piece of paper into the PC, there is no
<> | acknowledgement that something's been inserted into the machine.
There
<> is
<> | no beep (like I would get in XP). How can I get Vista to recognize
these
<> | devices?
<> |
<> |
<> |
<>
<>
<

SOS

RE: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
There are a lot of people with this same problem. Below is a fix that has
worked for many and the link to the thread so you can read it yourself. Good
luck!

I just spent 8 hours and 4 phone calls with Microsoft.. ultimately they read
a forum post which I directed them to regarding INF files and they followed
the instructions and everything works perfect now. Here is a copy of the post
from forums.microsoft.com.

""I've been experiencing the same problem with usb storage devices for the
last few weeks and have visited numerous forums discussing it. After having
no joy I decided to take a look around my system folders and have now got
these devices working again. While looking around I discovered 2 points of
interest:

In C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository I had two folders named
"usbstor.inf" but each one had a different set of numbers attached to the end
of the folder name. - could this be where part of the problem lies?

When i looked in my C:\Windows\inf folder i discovered the usbstor.inf and
usb stor.pnf files were missing - this definitely had to be an issue.
Once I discovered these anomalies, I proceeded to copy the pnf and inf files
from the most recently updated usbstor.inf folder to C:\Windows\inf. I then
went back to the update driver wizard, pointed to the inf folder and what do
you know but they all started working again.

As yet I have not had any problem with other usb devices so I don't know
whether this solution applies to everything. However I have noticed that most
people are having this problem with devices that register themselves as a
mass storage device, including most new printers, cameras, etc. Basically
anything with on board memory tells windows it is also a mass storage device,
so maybe this is what is causing the problem with those particular usb
devices.

Hope this helps""

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/sho...&tf=0&pageid=2

"memanuel" wrote:

> I have a USB flash drive and a USB MP3 player that worked well in Windows
> XP. I'd plug them in and they'd work fine. In Vista however it's another
> story, its like I'm pushing a piece of paper into the PC, there is no
> acknowledgement that something's been inserted into the machine. There is
> no beep (like I would get in XP). How can I get Vista to recognize these
> devices?

user245470

"whiteSTUDIOare" wrote:

> [...]
> > check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
> >
> > Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
> > ================================================== ===

> > --------------------
> > | From: "memanuel" <memanuel@rogers.om>
> > | Subject: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista
> > | Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:34:34 -0400
> > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
> > |
> > | I have a USB flash drive and a USB MP3 player that worked well in Windows
> > | XP. I'd plug them in and they'd work fine. In Vista however it's
> > another
> > | story, its like I'm pushing a piece of paper into the PC, there is no
> > | acknowledgement that something's been inserted into the machine. There
> > is
> > | no beep (like I would get in XP). How can I get Vista to recognize these

user245470

RE: PNP USB Devices not working with Vista

i have had the problem with usb and all kinds of storage devices not
working. i even exchanged my laptop. did again to me on the new one only
after i did a work up by advanced windows care v2. do not use this program
with vista it will not work with it BEWARE