PNP - screen / 60Hertz?

Huib

PNP - screen / 60Hertz?
Hi,

I do know that by a monitor the refresh freqency has to be as high as
possible with a minimum of 75 Hertz...

I have a portable PC with a PnP-screen where i can only put 60 Hertz ?

My questions:
-i suppose this is a TFT-screen so the pixels are on or out so there is no
refresh required?
-why is mentioned 60 Hertz ? Maybe because the SW can be used on a monitor,
but that is neverthess confusing.
-does this mean that the 60 Hertz has no meaning at all?

Thanks
Huib

OD

Re: PNP - screen / 60Hertz?
> -i suppose this is a TFT-screen so the pixels are on or out so there is no
> refresh required?
> -why is mentioned 60 Hertz ? Maybe because the SW can be used on a monitor,
> but that is neverthess confusing.
> -does this mean that the 60 Hertz has no meaning at all?

Excerpt from a this thread
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1112967398

"
Refresh rate has no meaning on an LCD monitor. A CRT scans the image at
the refresh rate of 60 or 72 times per second for refresh rates of 60
and 72 Hz respectively.
An LCD does not produce an image by scanning a stream of electrons
across the cathode ray tube. Each pixel receives instructions from the
computer to be turned on or off. So it doesn't matter what you set the
refresh rate at, it will ignore all entries equally.

[So why can you set the refresh to 60 or 72 Hz on a LCD ?]
[because] the VGA connector contains five wires of interest to this
discussion: Red, Green, Blue, HSync, and VSync. Red, Green, and Blue
specify the color of the current pixel. HSync and VSync are timing
signals tell the monitor when a new pixel is selected. The refresh
rate, while not affecting LCD monitors by flickering, does affect the
rate at which data is transferred to the monitor. In addition, things
such as 3D games often configure the hardware to wait for VSync so that
a frame is not drawn in the middle of a monitor refresh. Why? Because
on a CRT, this causes the lower portion of the image to be different
than the upper portion until the next VSync cycle, which is just slow
enough to be seen. "

--

OD___
www.e-naxos.com

Huib

Re: PNP - screen / 60Hertz?
"OD" <webmaster @ e-naxos dot com> schreef in bericht
>> -i suppose this is a TFT-screen so the pixels are on or out so there is
>> no refresh required?
>> -why is mentioned 60 Hertz ? Maybe because the SW can be used on a
>> monitor, but that is neverthess confusing.
>> -does this mean that the 60 Hertz has no meaning at all?

> Excerpt from a this thread
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1112967398
>
> "
> Refresh rate has no meaning on an LCD monitor. A CRT scans the image at
> the refresh rate of 60 or 72 times per second for refresh rates of 60 and
> 72 Hz respectively.
> An LCD does not produce an image by scanning a stream of electrons across
> the cathode ray tube. Each pixel receives instructions from the computer
> to be turned on or off. So it doesn't matter what you set the refresh rate
> at, it will ignore all entries equally.
>
> [So why can you set the refresh to 60 or 72 Hz on a LCD ?]
> [because] the VGA connector contains five wires of interest to this
> discussion: Red, Green, Blue, HSync, and VSync. Red, Green, and Blue
> specify the color of the current pixel. HSync and VSync are timing signals
> tell the monitor when a new pixel is selected. The refresh rate, while not
> affecting LCD monitors by flickering, does affect the rate at which data
> is transferred to the monitor. In addition, things such as 3D games often
> configure the hardware to wait for VSync so that a frame is not drawn in
> the middle of a monitor refresh. Why? Because on a CRT, this causes the
> lower portion of the image to be different than the upper portion until
> the next VSync cycle, which is just slow enough to be seen. "
>
> --
>

> OD___
> www.e-naxos.com

Hallo OD
Thanks for the technical information and the related site was very
interested to read.
By now i can drop my bad fealing for sure.
Important is that i can prove my wife by now that working to long on my
laptop will do no harm (at least not for my eyes).

Regards
Huib

OD

Re: PNP - screen / 60Hertz?
> Hallo OD
> Thanks for the technical information and the related site was very interested
> to read.
> By now i can drop my bad fealing for sure.
> Important is that i can prove my wife by now that working to long on my
> laptop will do no harm (at least not for my eyes).

for you eyes no, for you marital life, not sure.. :-)

--

OD___
www.e-naxos.com