Content of drive not updated when switching CD or DVD-disc

GusTheMagic

Content of drive not updated when switching CD or DVD-disc
Hi there,

Upgraded from XP to Vista and got problem with the DVD-drive and
DVD-RW-drive.

When switching the disc (CD or DVD) in the drive the content will not update
even if I klick the refresh button in the meny bar. The content of the first
disc are still there and if you try to open a file Vista will say that it
cant find the file. Ive only been able to clear the content by restarting
the computer and thats a pretty bad idea if you need to install a game set
on several discs.

A clue to what is wrong might be that I have not been able to get the drives
to autostart the disc inserted in the drive.

Have anyone experienced a similar problem and found a solution?

Thankful for answers,
/GusTheMagic

Robert Li [MSFT]

RE: Content of drive not updated when switching CD or DVD-disc
Hello Gus,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delay due to the weekend.

From your description, I know that you upgraded computer from XP to Vista.
When you replace the disc (CD or DVD) in the drive the content will not
update even click the Fresh button. If I am off-base, please don't hesitate
to let me know.

Based on my research on this issue, please take the following step to
narrow down this issue:

Step 1: You may try using another CD/DVD media. Will the same issue reoccur?

Step 2: I suggest we use another type of DVD Rom to narrow down whether the
issue is caused by DVD drive or Windows Vista itself.

If other DVD Drive works, I suggest we contact DVD hardware support to see
if they have released Vista compatible driver.

Step 3: If you have Vista compatible driver. Please replace the existing
driver

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance,
and then click System.
If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
4. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm
the removal, click OK.
6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

Step 4: You may let him check the following registry keys. If they exist,
please delete them:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11c
e-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on
the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on
the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us

Also, the problem is not related to autoplay feature of DVD-ROM, since you
must see the folders and files first, then it can perform autoplay.

Hope the information helps.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
<From: "GusTheMagic" <GusTheMagic@hotmail.com>
<Subject: Content of drive not updated when switching CD or DVD-disc
<Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 23:48:04 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<
<Hi there,
<
[...]

Qfreed

RE: Content of drive not updated when switching CD or DVD-disc
Before you try the involved soluition, try gathering some more basic info.
It sounds as if you are saying that if you open the drive door and take out
one cd/dvd and replace it with another (without closing the drive door) the
media info does not update. I'm not sure that it's supposed to. If you open
the drive door, remove the disc, shut the drive door, reopen it and place
another disc into it, does it then update the disc info?
--
qfreed