Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium

=\(8\)

Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium
How do you access the security policy editor in Vista Home Premium?

=(8)
Terence Liu [MSFT]

RE: Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium
Hello Customer,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that you want to open security
policy editor console on Vista Home Premium edition. If I have
misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Based on my research, we can run command "Secpol.msc" to open security
policy editor console in Vista:

Click Start menu, select Run, in the Run window input "Secpol.msc" (without
quotation marks), click OK. Then you will open security policy editor
console in Vista.

Hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

This newsgroup only focuses on Vista technical issues. If you have issues
You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
| From: "=\(8\)" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium
| Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:25:26 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
|
| How do you access the security policy editor in Vista Home Premium?
|
| =(8)

=\(8\)

"Terence Liu [MSFT]" <v-terliu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Customer,
>
> Thank you for posting here.
>
> According to your description, I understand that you want to open security
> policy editor console on Vista Home Premium edition. If I have
> misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.
>
> Based on my research, we can run command "Secpol.msc" to open security
> policy editor console in Vista:
>
> Click Start menu, select Run, in the Run window input "Secpol.msc"
> (without
> quotation marks), click OK. Then you will open security policy editor
> console in Vista.
>
> Hope these steps will give you some help.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Terence Liu(MSFT)
>
> Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

> ================================================== ===
> This newsgroup only focuses on Vista technical issues. If you have issues
> regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the corresponding
> newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner.
> You can locate the newsgroup here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx
>
> When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check
> the
> "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there are
> any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your newsreader,
> please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue.
>
> Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
> provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
> different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
> doing
> so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
>
> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. Please
> check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>
> Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
> ================================================== ===

> rights.
>
> --------------------
> | From: "=\(8\)" <nospam@nospam.com>
> | Subject: Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium
> | Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:25:26 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
> |
> | How do you access the security policy editor in Vista Home Premium?
> |
> | =(8)

Yes, that is what I want. However, when I follow your instructions I get a
message that that file can't be found. I don't know why Microsoft has to
hide these things and can't just add icons or some other way of accessing
them more directly.

=(8)

Jane C

Re: Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium
Hi,
Home Editions of Windows don't have the Security Policy editor, or Group
Policy Editor. Depending on what you are hoping to achieve, you would have
to use the Registry Editor.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"=(8)" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
newsB0CEEA4-D915-42C3-A9BB-1A7BBB5A2A02@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>>
>> Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
>> ================================================== ===

>> rights.
>>
>> --------------------
>> | From: "=\(8\)" <nospam@nospam.com>
>> | Subject: Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium
>> | Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:25:26 -0700
>> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
>> |
>> | How do you access the security policy editor in Vista Home Premium?
>> |
>> | =(8)
>> |

> Yes, that is what I want. However, when I follow your instructions I get a
> message that that file can't be found. I don't know why Microsoft has to
> hide these things and can't just add icons or some other way of accessing
> them more directly.
>
> =(8)

Terence Liu [MSFT]

Re: Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium

Thank you for your kind update. And thanks for Jane's inputs.

Based on my test in my lab test machine, I found that Jane is correct.
There are no security policy editor console in Vista Home Basic and Home
Premium editions. This is by-design.

I understand that this limitation may inconvenience our users and we
apologize for the inconvenience you faced. In our efforts to continue to
improve our products, you are welcome to add your suggestions in
Partnerfeedback newsgroup to make Microsoft products easier and more
powerful to use. Thanks for your understanding.

Submitting suggestions for product enhancement:

Legitimate Wishes fit into the following guidelines:

Enhancement or feature addition to existing Microsoft products
Reproducible problem or bug with current version that needs resolution
Cannot find documentation of feature within the help files
Difficulty using the product
All beta products
Product packaging complaints
Added accessibility feature for a Microsoft product
These can be submitted here:

https://support.microsoft.com/common...14&showpage=1&
WS=Wish&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.microsoft.com%2firela nd%2fcontact%2f

Additional, we can open security policy editor console in the other Vista
editions thru two methods:
1. Run "Secpol.msc" command.

2. Run the command "gpedit.msc" instead. Then, extend Local Computer
Policy->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings. You
can open security policy editor console here.

Note: Please ensure the user accounts you logon Vista is a of member local
Administrators.

Meanwhile, this is Windows Vista Hardwar Assessment newsgroup, we only
support this tool here:

Windows Vista Hardware Assessment Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sol...assessment/wv/
default.mspx

For further question about security policy editor console, I suggest you
repost your issue in vista general newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

> [...]

| > different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
| > doing
| > so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
| >
| > For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
Please
| > check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
| >
| > Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.

| > rights.

| > | From: "=\(8\)" <nospam@nospam.com>
| > | Subject: Security Policy Editor - Vista Home Premium
| > | Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:25:26 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
| > |
| > | How do you access the security policy editor in Vista Home Premium?
| > |