Incomplete list of software

Truck013

Incomplete list of software
Hello,

I have run the Hardware Assessment tool on the network here however have
noticed not all software is picked up. Examples include Qualcomm Eudora and
Adobe Photoshop... Any suggestions?

Other software such as Microsoft Office 2003, 2000, XP and Adobe Acrobat &
Reader appeared fine... I am wondering if there is only a limited list of
software the tool will display?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Robert Li [MSFT]

RE: Incomplete list of software
Hello,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delay due to the weekend.

Based on my research, when Vista Hardware Assessment tools run, it queries
the software information in Add/Remove programs. If the software is not
installed correctly or not list in Add/Remove programs, it will not appear
in Vista Hardware Assessment tools report.

Hope the information helps.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Subject: Incomplete list of software
<Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:55:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<
<Hello,
<
<I have run the Hardware Assessment tool on the network here however have
<noticed not all software is picked up. Examples include Qualcomm Eudora
and
<Adobe Photoshop... Any suggestions?
<
<Other software such as Microsoft Office 2003, 2000, XP and Adobe Acrobat &
<Reader appeared fine... I am wondering if there is only a limited list of
<software the tool will display?
<
<Thanks in advance.
<
<Regards
<
<

Truck013

RE: Incomplete list of software
Thank you for the feedback Robert,

I have confirmed the applications are in the Add/Remove software list
although in the case of Endnote there doesn't appear to be a version number
in the list. The OS I checked is Windows XP.

I ran a WMI script (.vbs) that looks at the
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstal l\ registry key. It located
Endnote but again did not have any version information, etc... Perhaps the
Vista tool only records information on software that has name, version, date
installed, etc included? Looking at the Vista Tool Products table all the
main fields appear populated...

The Scriptomatic v2 tool did not locate Endnote either within the WMI
Installed Software Element or Product class...

I also ran a freeware application called WinAudit
(http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm) that successfully picked up the
applications including Endnote and Eudora...

I would like to continue using the Vista tool as it is easy to use and
fast... However without a complete list of software its use will be limited.

I would welcome any further suggestions you may have...

Regards Peter

"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.
>
> I am sorry for the delay due to the weekend.
>
> Based on my research, when Vista Hardware Assessment tools run, it queries
> the software information in Add/Remove programs. If the software is not
> installed correctly or not list in Add/Remove programs, it will not appear
> in Vista Hardware Assessment tools report.
>
> Hope the information helps.
>
> If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Robert Li(MSFT)
>
> Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

> ================================================== ===
>
> This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have issues
> regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the corresponding
> newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner.
> You can locate the newsgroup here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx
>
> When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check the
> "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there are
> any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your newsreader,
> please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue.
>
> Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
> provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
> different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In doing
> so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
>
> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. Please
> check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>
> Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
>
> ================================================== ===

> --------------------
> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
> <Subject: Incomplete list of software
> <Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:55:01 -0700
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
> <
> <Hello,
> <
> <I have run the Hardware Assessment tool on the network here however have
> <noticed not all software is picked up. Examples include Qualcomm Eudora
> and
> <Adobe Photoshop... Any suggestions?
> <
> <Other software such as Microsoft Office 2003, 2000, XP and Adobe Acrobat &
> <Reader appeared fine... I am wondering if there is only a limited list of
> [...]

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay.

Please help me collect the following information and I need to do deep
research:

MPS Report on the computer which you installed Vista Hardware Assessment.

1) Download MPS report tool from:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE
2) Run the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.exe on the server box.
3) Wait for 10~15 minutes.
4) Open Windows explorer, navigate to
%SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab\
5) Send the .cab file me at v-robeli@microsoft.com with subject: Incomplete
list of software.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Subject: RE: Incomplete list of software
<Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:32:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<
[...]
<"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<
<> Hello,
<>
[...]
<> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<>
<> ================================================== ===
<>
[...]
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
<>
<> --------------------
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<> <Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:55:01 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <
<> <Hello,
<> <
[...]

Hi Robert,

I have forwarded the MPSReports.CAB file as requested produced from the
machine that has the Vista Hardware Assessment Tool on it... Incidentally
this machine also has Endnote installed on it that is recorded in the
Add/Remove Programs...

I also attached an extract of the products table related to this machine for
your reference...

Please let me know the results of your investigation.

Regards Peter

"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> <> --------------------
> <> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
> <> <Subject: Incomplete list of software
> <> <Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:55:01 -0700
> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
> <> <
> <> <Hello,
> <> <
> <> <I have run the Hardware Assessment tool on the network here however
> have
> <> <noticed not all software is picked up. Examples include Qualcomm Eudora
> <> and
> <> <Adobe Photoshop... Any suggestions?
> <> <
> <> <Other software such as Microsoft Office 2003, 2000, XP and Adobe
> Acrobat &
> <> <Reader appeared fine... I am wondering if there is only a limited list

Thanks for your reply.

WMI inventory is always performed when running the Windows Vista Hardware
Assessment wizard. The technology used for gathering detailed computer
hardware and device information is the WMI protocol.

Accord to the WMI error in the log, please take the following steps:

Step 1: Please WMI setting in DCOMCNFG

1. DCOMCNFG command, Under "Default Launch Permissions" ensured that at
least INTERACTIVE, SYSTEM, and Administrators have "Allow Launch".
2. Make sure that "Default Access Permissions" listed only Self and System
accounts.
3. Go to properties for WMI under DCOMCNFG.
4. Make sure Authentication level is "Default", Lauch Permission is
"everyone" and Access Permission is "Use Default".

Step 2: Verified WMI services is running as local system account.

Step 3: Rebuild the WMI repository using the following batch file script.

%systemdrive%
cd %windir%\system32\wbem
net stop winmgmt /y
if exist repository.old rmdir /s/q repository.old
rename repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

Step 4 : Ran the following batch file to register the WMI related dlls.

cd %windir%\system32\wbem
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

Hope the information helps.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:46:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<
<Hi Robert,
<
<I have forwarded the MPSReports.CAB file as requested produced from the
<machine that has the Vista Hardware Assessment Tool on it... Incidentally
<this machine also has Endnote installed on it that is recorded in the
<Add/Remove Programs...
<
<I also attached an extract of the products table related to this machine
for
<your reference...
<
<Please let me know the results of your investigation.
<
<Regards Peter
<
<"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
<>
<> I am sorry for the delay.
<>
[...]
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<> <Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:32:01 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <
[...]
<> <"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<> <
<> <> Hello,
<> <>
[...]
<> <> ================================================== ===
<> <>
[...]
<> <> --------------------
<> <> <Thread-Topic: Incomplete list of software
<> <> <thread-index: Acez6jviBs+LJOmbR+WnZDh8i8G4vg==
<> <> <X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.193.207
<> <> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<> <> <Subject: Incomplete list of software
<> <> <Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:55:01 -0700
<> <> <Lines: 14
<> <> <Message-ID: <A434C61A-4F35-425A-AE8F-DA27C27FA7E0@microsoft.com>
<> <> <MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <> <Content-Type: text/plain;
<> <> < charset="Utf-8"
<> <> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<> <> <Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<> <> <Importance: normal
<> <> <Priority: normal
<> <> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2826
<> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <> <Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> <> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment :269
<> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftibfm01.phx.gbl 10.40.244.149
<> <> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <> <
<> <> <Hello,
<> <> <
[...]

I have executed your recommended steps without change. Perhaps the only grey
area is step 1, hence I have elaborated on how I checked the settings below
on the system with Vista Hardware Assessment Toolkit installed:
a) Start Button->Run
b) Type DCOMCNFG and press Enter to display the "Component Services" MMC
c) Select Properties on "My Computer" within Component Services->Computers
d) Select COM Security Tab
e) Press the Edit Default Button under Access Permission and note
- SELF with Allow Local & Remote Access
- SYSTEM with Allow Local Access
f) Press the Edit Default Button under the Launch and Activation Permissions
and note
- Administrators with Allow Local & Remote Launch, Allow Local & Remote
Activation
- INTERACTIVE with Allow Local Launch, Allow Local Activation
- SYSTEM with Allow Local Launch, Allow Local Activation
g) Select DCOM Config within Component Services->Computers->My Computer
h) Select Properties for Windows Management and Instrumentation and note
- Authentication Level on the General Tab is Default
- Launch and Activation Permissions is Customize (Edit Button reveals only
Everyone listed with Allow Local & Remote Launch, Allow Local & Remote
Activation
- Access Permissions is Use Default
- The system account is selected under the Identity Tab
i) Services confirms Local System Account used for Windows Management
Instrumentation - started... Whereas Windows Management Instrumentation is
set as Manaul and NOT started...

Any further thoughts?

Regards Peter

"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> issues
> <> <> regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the
> <> corresponding
> <> <> newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely
> <> manner.
> <> <> You can locate the newsgroup here:
> <> <> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx
> <> <>
> <> <> When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you
> check
> <> the
> <> <> "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there
> <> are
> <> <> any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your
> <> newsreader,
> <> <> please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from

Thanks for your updating.

The Windows Management Instrumentation is set to start up Automatic by
default, please change your setting.

I am research your issue and will let you know the result as soon as
possible. Thanks for you understanding.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:36:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<
<Hi Robert,
<
[...]
<"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
<>
<> Thanks for your reply.
<>
[...]
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<> <Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:46:01 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <
<> <Hi Robert,
<> <
<> <I have forwarded the MPSReports.CAB file as requested produced from the
<> <machine that has the Vista Hardware Assessment Tool on it...
Incidentally
<> <this machine also has Endnote installed on it that is recorded in the
<> <Add/Remove Programs...
<> <
<> <I also attached an extract of the products table related to this
machine
<> for
<> <your reference...
<> <
<> <Please let me know the results of your investigation.
<> <
<> <Regards Peter
<> <
<> <"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<> <
<> <> Hi,
<> <>
<> <> I am sorry for the delay.
<> <>
[...]
<> <> <thread-index: Ace3mi0W5NvDsr8HTfm0KaKFSq9D3Q==
<> <> <X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.192.207
<> <> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<> <> <References: <A434C61A-4F35-425A-AE8F-DA27C27FA7E0@microsoft.com>
<> <> <Peuyv8xtHHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>
<> <> <Subject: RE: Incomplete list of software
<> <> <Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:32:01 -0700
<> <> <Lines: 123
<> <> <Message-ID: <1B99A8B9-24A1-4DFA-8242-2E9530A23B99@microsoft.com>
<> <> <MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <> <Content-Type: text/plain;
<> <> < charset="Utf-8"
<> <> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<> <> <Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<> <> <Importance: normal
<> <> <Priority: normal
<> <> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2826
<> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <> <Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> <> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment :278
[...]
<> <> <"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<> <> <
<> <> <> Hello,
<> <> <>
[...]
<> <> <> ================================================== ===
<> <> <>
[...]

My Apologies Robert,

The "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions" service is set at
Manual and NOT Started. The "Windows Management Instrumentation" service is
set at Automotic and IS started... Should the "Windows Management
Instrumentation Driver Extensions" service be started?

Regards Peter

"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> <> <>
> <> <> This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have
> issues
> <> <> regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the
> <> corresponding
> <> <> newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely
> <> manner.
> <> <> You can locate the newsgroup here:
> <> <> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx
> <> <>
> <> <> When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you
> check
> <> the

Robert Li [MSFT]

RE: Incomplete list of software
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions" service is set
at Manual and stepped. That's the default setting. Please don't change that.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:06:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<
<My Apologies Robert,
<
<The "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions" service is set
at
<Manual and NOT Started. The "Windows Management Instrumentation" service
is
<set at Automotic and IS started... Should the "Windows Management
<Instrumentation Driver Extensions" service be started?
<
<Regards Peter
<
<"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
<>
<> Thanks for your updating.
<>
[...]
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VHJ1Y2swMTM=?= <Truck013@discussions.microsoft.com>
<> <Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:36:01 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <
<> <Hi Robert,
<> <
[...]
<> <"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<> <
<> <> Hi,
<> <>
<> <> Thanks for your reply.
<> <>
[...]
<> <> <thread-index: Ace55t2URquYkEZISqCbckslBhcMMw==
<> <> <X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.19.197
<> <> <0Hg1VRKuHHA.520@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>
<> <> <Subject: RE: Incomplete list of software
<> <> <Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:46:01 -0700
<> <> <Lines: 245
<> <> <Message-ID: <B1932586-1538-4B4E-9A71-0D52D1B38738@microsoft.com>
<> <> <MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <> <Content-Type: text/plain;
<> <> < charset="Utf-8"
<> <> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<> <> <Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<> <> <Importance: normal
<> <> <Priority: normal
<> <> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2826
<> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
<> <> <Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
<> <> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment :283
<> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftsbfm01.phx.gbl 10.40.244.148
[...]
<> <> <"Robert Li [MSFT]" wrote:
<> <> <
<> <> <>
<> <> <> I am sorry for the delay.