Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?

Eigil Krogh

Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Hi

I have a HP DeskJet 880C printer. When I upgraded Windows XP to Windows
VISTA the printer was automatically installed.

Unfortunately I deleted the printer by error. Now VISTA can't find the
driver for the printer, when I connect it via USB.

I don't understand that. How can the driver disappear ? Can it have been
deleted during a Disk Cleanup ?

What can I do now to reinstall the driver ? (I checked HPs support software
download site, but they only write, that VISTA has the driver which was
right, but now it is gone)

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Best
Eigil

Cal Bear '66

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Have you tried to disconnect the printer, make sure the printer is deleted,
reboot and then reconnect the printer?

"Eigil Krogh" <qxl2@ekrogh.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a HP DeskJet 880C printer. When I upgraded Windows XP to Windows VISTA
> the printer was automatically installed.
>
> Unfortunately I deleted the printer by error. Now VISTA can't find the driver
> for the printer, when I connect it via USB.
>
> I don't understand that. How can the driver disappear ? Can it have been
> deleted during a Disk Cleanup ?
>
> What can I do now to reinstall the driver ? (I checked HPs support software
> download site, but they only write, that VISTA has the driver which was right,
> but now it is gone)
>

> Thanks in advance for suggestions!
>

> Best
> Eigil

dean-dean

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Try Control Panel > Add Hardware. You could attempt the automatic option
first. If that doesn't work, try the second option, and select from a list
of printers, or use the Windows Update button, under the list...

"Eigil Krogh" <qxl2@ekrogh.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a HP DeskJet 880C printer. When I upgraded Windows XP to Windows
> VISTA the printer was automatically installed.
>
> Unfortunately I deleted the printer by error. Now VISTA can't find the
> driver for the printer, when I connect it via USB.
>
> I don't understand that. How can the driver disappear ? Can it have been
> deleted during a Disk Cleanup ?
>
> What can I do now to reinstall the driver ? (I checked HPs support
> software download site, but they only write, that VISTA has the driver
> which was right, but now it is gone)
>

> Thanks in advance for suggestions!
>

> Best
> Eigil

Eigil Krogh

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Thanks for the replies!

I did try "disconnect the printer, delete the printer, reboot and then
reconnect the printer and Add Hardware with both automatic, select from a
list of printers and Windows Update. If I try to select from a list of
printers none is shown. If I try the Windows Update button I get a short
list of Hewlet Packard printers, but the DeskJet 880C isn't among them.

- Eigil

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try Control Panel > Add Hardware. You could attempt the automatic option
> first. If that doesn't work, try the second option, and select from a
> list of printers, or use the Windows Update button, under the list...
>
> "Eigil Krogh" <qxl2@ekrogh.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a HP DeskJet 880C printer. When I upgraded Windows XP to Windows
>> VISTA the printer was automatically installed.
>>
>> Unfortunately I deleted the printer by error. Now VISTA can't find the
>> driver for the printer, when I connect it via USB.
>>
>> I don't understand that. How can the driver disappear ? Can it have been
>> deleted during a Disk Cleanup ?
>>
>> What can I do now to reinstall the driver ? (I checked HPs support
>> software download site, but they only write, that VISTA has the driver
>> which was right, but now it is gone)
>>

>> Thanks in advance for suggestions!
>>

>> Best
>> Eigil

freddy

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Eigil Krogh,

I don't know whether the following comments will get you any further than
you have gotten up to now, but it's free to try:

In Control Panel, go to Printers. In the Printers page, click on File and
then select Server Properties. Then, click on the Drivers tab. The driver
that was installed by Vista may be listed. If it is, then it's still on your
system. If it's not listed, then the problem is how to get it back. That's
the part I'm not certain about.

Even so, on the Printers page, click on Add a Printer. Whether doing it
this way is an improvement to what you have already done will only be known
after you try it. In theory, Vista will find the previously installed driver
and install the printer, or ask for the Vista DVD and install the printer, or
do something else to install it. I just don't know.

If these steps don't work, try contacting HP Support for assistance. Just
some thoughts.
--
freddy

"Eigil Krogh" wrote:

> Thanks for the replies!
>
> I did try "disconnect the printer, delete the printer, reboot and then
> reconnect the printer and Add Hardware with both automatic, select from a
> list of printers and Windows Update. If I try to select from a list of
> printers none is shown. If I try the Windows Update button I get a short
> list of Hewlet Packard printers, but the DeskJet 880C isn't among them.
>

> - Eigil
>

> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Try Control Panel > Add Hardware. You could attempt the automatic option
> > first. If that doesn't work, try the second option, and select from a
> > list of printers, or use the Windows Update button, under the list...
> >
> > "Eigil Krogh" <qxl2@ekrogh.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have a HP DeskJet 880C printer. When I upgraded Windows XP to Windows
> >> VISTA the printer was automatically installed.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately I deleted the printer by error. Now VISTA can't find the
> >> driver for the printer, when I connect it via USB.
> >>
> >> I don't understand that. How can the driver disappear ? Can it have been
> >> deleted during a Disk Cleanup ?
> >>
> >> What can I do now to reinstall the driver ? (I checked HPs support
> >> software download site, but they only write, that VISTA has the driver
> >> which was right, but now it is gone)
> >>

> >> Thanks in advance for suggestions!
> >>

> >> Best
> >> Eigil

Eigil Krogh

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
freddy

Thank you for the reply!

Server Properties->Drivers shows, that both the HP DeskJet 880C and HP
DeskJet 882C drivers are there! It also shows where the driver files are
stored. But unfortunately there are no .inf files, so if I try to force the
installation by selecting "Have disk" in the process I can't do it because
VISTA then asks for a .inf file.

When I attach the HP DeskJet 880C printer to an USB port on the PC VISTA
pops up with this message:

Driver Software Installation

Installing device driver software

HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 880C Searching Windows Update...

Close

but after a while it asks me to insert the CD for the hardware (I have one,
but it is for Windows 95/98 and VISTA won't use that). When I press Other
options then after a short while I get a message that the installation
failed.

Strange.

Should the .inf files exist somewhere on the PC ?

Best
Eigil

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Eigil Krogh,
>
> I don't know whether the following comments will get you any further than
> you have gotten up to now, but it's free to try:
>
> In Control Panel, go to Printers. In the Printers page, click on File and
> then select Server Properties. Then, click on the Drivers tab. The
> driver
> that was installed by Vista may be listed. If it is, then it's still on
> your
> system. If it's not listed, then the problem is how to get it back.
> That's
> the part I'm not certain about.
>
> Even so, on the Printers page, click on Add a Printer. Whether doing it
> this way is an improvement to what you have already done will only be
> known
> after you try it. In theory, Vista will find the previously installed
> driver
> and install the printer, or ask for the Vista DVD and install the printer,
> or
> do something else to install it. I just don't know.
>
> If these steps don't work, try contacting HP Support for assistance. Just
> some thoughts.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Eigil Krogh" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replies!
>>
>> I did try "disconnect the printer, delete the printer, reboot and then
>> reconnect the printer and Add Hardware with both automatic, select from a
>> list of printers and Windows Update. If I try to select from a list of
>> printers none is shown. If I try the Windows Update button I get a short
>> list of Hewlet Packard printers, but the DeskJet 880C isn't among them.
>>

>> - Eigil
>>

>> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Try Control Panel > Add Hardware. You could attempt the automatic
>> > option
>> > first. If that doesn't work, try the second option, and select from a
>> > list of printers, or use the Windows Update button, under the list...

dean-dean

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
You should be seeing a list of Printers, either through Add Hardware or Add
Printer (Control Panel\Printers). Everyone would have this list, even if
they don't have a printer. I would do this:

Run the System File Checker, by right-clicking on Command Prompt, and
choosing Run as Administrator. At the prompt, type:

sfc /scannow

Press enter on your keyboard. The scan may take awhile.

Then try adding the printer, first by turning the printer on, then plugging
it in to your computer. Hopefully, a "Your devices are ready to use" window
will display on the screen. If the window displays and does not close
automatically, close the window.

If that doesn't work, try the Add Printer/list approach again.

> Thanks for the replies!
>
> I did try "disconnect the printer, delete the printer, reboot and then
> reconnect the printer and Add Hardware with both automatic, select from a
> list of printers and Windows Update. If I try to select from a list of
> printers none is shown. If I try the Windows Update button I get a short
> list of Hewlet Packard printers, but the DeskJet 880C isn't among them.
>

> - Eigil
>

> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Try Control Panel > Add Hardware. You could attempt the automatic option
>> first. If that doesn't work, try the second option, and select from a
>> list of printers, or use the Windows Update button, under the list...
>>
>> "Eigil Krogh" <qxl2@ekrogh.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a HP DeskJet 880C printer. When I upgraded Windows XP to Windows
>>> VISTA the printer was automatically installed.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I deleted the printer by error. Now VISTA can't find the
>>> driver for the printer, when I connect it via USB.
>>>
>>> I don't understand that. How can the driver disappear ? Can it have been
>>> deleted during a Disk Cleanup ?
>>>
>>> What can I do now to reinstall the driver ? (I checked HPs support
>>> software download site, but they only write, that VISTA has the driver
>>> which was right, but now it is gone)
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance for suggestions!
>>>

>>> Best
>>> Eigil

freddy

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Eigil Krogh,

The .inf file would be located in C:\Windows\inf, if it exists. If the
installer asks for the .inf file, direct it to that location. Post back on
what happens.
--
freddy

"Eigil Krogh" wrote:

> freddy
>
> Thank you for the reply!
>
> Server Properties->Drivers shows, that both the HP DeskJet 880C and HP
> DeskJet 882C drivers are there! It also shows where the driver files are
> stored. But unfortunately there are no .inf files, so if I try to force the
> installation by selecting "Have disk" in the process I can't do it because
> VISTA then asks for a .inf file.
>
> When I attach the HP DeskJet 880C printer to an USB port on the PC VISTA
> pops up with this message:
>
> Driver Software Installation
>
> Installing device driver software
>
> HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 880C Searching Windows Update...
>

> Close
>
> but after a while it asks me to insert the CD for the hardware (I have one,
> but it is for Windows 95/98 and VISTA won't use that). When I press Other
> options then after a short while I get a message that the installation
> failed.
>
> Strange.
>
> Should the .inf files exist somewhere on the PC ?
>

> Best
> Eigil
>

> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Eigil Krogh,
> >
> > I don't know whether the following comments will get you any further than
> > you have gotten up to now, but it's free to try:
> >
> > In Control Panel, go to Printers. In the Printers page, click on File and
> > then select Server Properties. Then, click on the Drivers tab. The
> > driver
> > that was installed by Vista may be listed. If it is, then it's still on
> > your
> > system. If it's not listed, then the problem is how to get it back.
> > That's
> > the part I'm not certain about.
> >
> > Even so, on the Printers page, click on Add a Printer. Whether doing it
> > this way is an improvement to what you have already done will only be
> > known
> > after you try it. In theory, Vista will find the previously installed
> > driver
> > and install the printer, or ask for the Vista DVD and install the printer,
> > or
> > do something else to install it. I just don't know.
> >
> > If these steps don't work, try contacting HP Support for assistance. Just
> > some thoughts.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Eigil Krogh" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the replies!
> >>
> >> I did try "disconnect the printer, delete the printer, reboot and then
> >> reconnect the printer and Add Hardware with both automatic, select from a
> >> list of printers and Windows Update. If I try to select from a list of
> >> printers none is shown. If I try the Windows Update button I get a short
> >> list of Hewlet Packard printers, but the DeskJet 880C isn't among them.
> >>

> >> - Eigil

Eigil Krogh

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Thanks again freddy and dean-dean!

freddy:

I tried to search Windows\inf\ for 880c (both files nemaes and file
contents). The only thing, that was founf for HP DeskJet 880C was an
oem72.inf file for Windows95 (contains these lines:
"
[DJ880]
DriverFile=You_must_use_the_supplied_setup_program _to_install_this_printer!
CopyFiles=HPDriverFiles
Win95DeviceID=HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJ70CE
Device=%device%
VendorInstaller="hpfpnp.dll,ScheduleInstallation"
"

dean-dean:

System File Checker gave this output:
"
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 99% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
"

but reconnecting the printer USB nothing had changed. First I got the normal
message:
"
Driver Software Installation

Installing device driver software

HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 880C Searching Windows Update...

Close
"

and then:
"
Found New Hardware - HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 880C

Insert the disc that came with your HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 880C

If you have the disc that came with your device, insert it now. Windows will
automatically
search the disc for driver software.

-> I don't have the disc. Show me other options.

Cancel
"

and then, when I clicked "I don't have the disc. Show me other options":

"
Found New Hardware - HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 880C

Windows was unable to install your HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 880C
Windows could not find driver software for your device.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
check the support
section for driver software.

Close
"

Do you think I have to reinstall VISTA ? Can I do a repair only if I
reinstall ?

Thanks

> You should be seeing a list of Printers, either through Add Hardware or
> Add Printer (Control Panel\Printers). Everyone would have this list, even
> if they don't have a printer. I would do this:
>
> Run the , by right-clicking on Command Prompt, and
> choosing Run as Administrator. At the prompt, type:
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> Press enter on your keyboard. The scan may take awhile.
>
> Then try adding the printer, first by turning the printer on, then
> plugging it in to your computer. Hopefully, a "Your devices are ready to
> use" window will display on the screen. If the window displays and does
> not close automatically, close the window.
>
> If that doesn't work, try the Add Printer/list approach again.
>

> "Eigil Krogh" <qxl2@ekrogh.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the replies!
>>
>> I did try "disconnect the printer, delete the printer, reboot and then
>> reconnect the printer and Add Hardware with both automatic, select from a
>> list of printers and Windows Update. If I try to select from a list of
>> printers none is shown. If I try the Windows Update button I get a short
>> list of Hewlet Packard printers, but the DeskJet 880C isn't among them.
>>

>> - Eigil
>>

>> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Try Control Panel > Add Hardware. You could attempt the automatic
>>> option first. If that doesn't work, try the second option, and select
>>> from a list of printers, or use the Windows Update button, under the
>>> list...

...winston

Re: Can't fin driver for HP DeskJet 880C any longer ?
Visit HP's web site and download the XP driver or order the CD from
HP..these are your only two options to attempt resolution and use of the
HP880c printer unless HP releases a compatible Vista driver.
...winston