Here's how to get unsupported scanners to work.

PTravel

Here's how to get unsupported scanners to work.
I've got a couple of old, but very serviceable, HP scanners (a 4C and a
IIcx) that are not supported in Vista and for which HP will not be issuing
an updated driver. I found a third-party program, Vuescan, that has drivers
for hundreds of scanners. Though it is marketed as a stand-alone, i.e. it
can scan to a file or a printer, I found that Vista will use the Vuescan
drivers when I try to install the old scanners and, once installed, all the
HP-specific software (Deskcopy, etc.), as well as other programs that
support scanning, e.g. Acrobat, Photoshop, Word, etc., will work just fine.

I have nothing to do with Vuescan, other than I bought the software and I'm
thrilled that it will let me get more use out of my old HP scanners. Just
thought I'd share this tip.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Here's how to get unsupported scanners to work.
And as we've both said before I got my HP SJ 5P running under VISTA as
I did under XP and W2K by using the older HP Deskscan 2.9 software that
uses TWAIN to communicate.

It all works perfectly including the Copier facility.

Does't cost a penny -- just download from the HP website ......

PTravel

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" <huwyngr@unspam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:VA.0000028d.0039d8a7@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> And as we've both said before I got my HP SJ 5P running under VISTA as
> I did under XP and W2K by using the older HP Deskscan 2.9 software that
> uses TWAIN to communicate.
>
> It all works perfectly including the Copier facility.
>
> Does't cost a penny -- just download from the HP website ......

I tried that before getting Vuescan. It didn't work.

Hemanth

Re: Here's how to get unsupported scanners to work.
Thanks for the good tip.. But i'm sure there will be hp drivers soon.

"Hemanth" <admin@techtalkz.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the good tip.. But i'm sure there will be hp drivers soon.

At least with respect to my scanners, HP stopped supporting them long ago.
There are not even drivers available for XP and, according to the HP
website, there will not be Vista drivers for them. I don't know how Vuescan
works under XP, but this may be an instance in which obsolete hardware can
run under Vista, but not XP.

> "PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message
>> I've got a couple of old, but very serviceable, HP scanners (a 4C and a
>> IIcx) that are not supported in Vista and for which HP will not be
>> issuing an updated driver. I found a third-party program, Vuescan, that
>> has drivers for hundreds of scanners. Though it is marketed as a
>> stand-alone, i.e. it can scan to a file or a printer, I found that Vista
>> will use the Vuescan drivers when I try to install the old scanners and,
>> once installed, all the HP-specific software (Deskcopy, etc.), as well as
>> other programs that support scanning, e.g. Acrobat, Photoshop, Word,
>> etc., will work just fine.
>>
>> I have nothing to do with Vuescan, other than I bought the software and
>> I'm thrilled that it will let me get more use out of my old HP scanners.
>> Just thought I'd share this tip.

Phyberlink

Re: Here's how to get unsupported scanners to work.
Thank you for the tip, but The Standard Edition costs $39.95 on the
software, and I have found a nice scanner at Staples for the same price, so
wouldn't be better to by the new scanner from Staples, (they still have 3
boxes left) I asked the salesperson, as to what's wrong with them, & he
pointed to the new model scanner on display for $99.99 and stated that the
old model is discontinued, but the 3 boxes are sealed and new, it just they
want to get rid of them. So now I am confused, I need help to make an
intelligent decision & make up my mind. Thanks

Phyberlink.

"PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message
> I've got a couple of old, but very serviceable, HP scanners (a 4C and a
> IIcx) that are not supported in Vista and for which HP will not be issuing
> an updated driver. I found a third-party program, Vuescan, that has
> drivers for hundreds of scanners. Though it is marketed as a stand-alone,
> i.e. it can scan to a file or a printer, I found that Vista will use the
> Vuescan drivers when I try to install the old scanners and, once
> installed, all the HP-specific software (Deskcopy, etc.), as well as other
> programs that support scanning, e.g. Acrobat, Photoshop, Word, etc., will
> work just fine.
>
> I have nothing to do with Vuescan, other than I bought the software and
> I'm thrilled that it will let me get more use out of my old HP scanners.
> Just thought I'd share this tip.

shellp

Re: Here's how to get unsupported scanners to work.
Just an FYI- printer abilities are also effected by whether it is compatible
w/32 bit or 64 bit PC's. And don't get me started on where this will go when
Windos 7 starts!
--
shellp (tecno newbie)

"Phyberlink" wrote:

> Thank you for the tip, but The Standard Edition costs $39.95 on the
> software, and I have found a nice scanner at Staples for the same price, so
> wouldn't be better to by the new scanner from Staples, (they still have 3
> boxes left) I asked the salesperson, as to what's wrong with them, & he
> pointed to the new model scanner on display for $99.99 and stated that the
> old model is discontinued, but the 3 boxes are sealed and new, it just they
> want to get rid of them. So now I am confused, I need help to make an
> intelligent decision & make up my mind. Thanks
>
> Phyberlink.
>

> "PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message
> > I've got a couple of old, but very serviceable, HP scanners (a 4C and a
> > IIcx) that are not supported in Vista and for which HP will not be issuing
> > an updated driver. I found a third-party program, Vuescan, that has
> > drivers for hundreds of scanners. Though it is marketed as a stand-alone,
> > i.e. it can scan to a file or a printer, I found that Vista will use the
> > Vuescan drivers when I try to install the old scanners and, once
> > installed, all the HP-specific software (Deskcopy, etc.), as well as other
> > programs that support scanning, e.g. Acrobat, Photoshop, Word, etc., will
> > work just fine.
> >
> > I have nothing to do with Vuescan, other than I bought the software and
> > I'm thrilled that it will let me get more use out of my old HP scanners.
> > Just thought I'd share this tip.

Chuck

Re: Here's how to get unsupported scanners to work.
VueScan pro has the ability to generate profiles for the scanner and even
the printer. This can be quite useful if your use involves pictures.
It's also a way to get around using the OEM specific "bloatwear" (Install
processes that force install of a bunch of OEM supplied software just to get
to the drivers.
Once installed you can usually leave just the drives, and uninstall the
"bloatware".