Can you "Repair" Vista?

Lee Beck

Can you "Repair" Vista?
I used my optical drive LG-GSA 4163B fine for a couple of months, then began
getting BSOD whenever I try to do anything relating to the DVD-RAM
capabilities, and also when trying to install some beta softwate from an ISO
disc. I'm thinking that somewhere along the way something has gotten
corrupted or damaged. I decided to repair vista rather than to reinstall. I
think I've gone too far downstream to use the restore function.

I inserted the vista install disc and can't find a repair routine. Is there
one? Can I repair my copy of vista?
Richard G. Harper

Re: Can you "Repair" Vista?
Thank you for your post, but please note the following:

Please note the following:
This newsgroup is available for you to post issues and questions about the
use of the Vista Hardware Assessment Solution Accelerator. You can use it
to collaborate directly with Microsoft Support Professionals, Microsoft Most
Valuable Professionals (MVPs) and other community members to get answers.

Your question would be better addressed to the Vista General newsgroup where
you will get a better audience for your query.

"Lee Beck" <LeeBeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used my optical drive LG-GSA 4163B fine for a couple of months, then
>began
> getting BSOD whenever I try to do anything relating to the DVD-RAM
> capabilities, and also when trying to install some beta softwate from an
> ISO
> disc. I'm thinking that somewhere along the way something has gotten
> corrupted or damaged. I decided to repair vista rather than to reinstall.
> think I've gone too far downstream to use the restore function.
>
> I inserted the vista install disc and can't find a repair routine. Is
> there
> one? Can I repair my copy of vista?

JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Can you "Repair" Vista?
Hello, Lee,

Yes, there is a repair feature on Vista.
It has to be run at the Windows command prompt.

Right click it in the Start directory,
and select - Run as administrator,
Type CD\ to put you in the Root directory.
Type SFC /SCANNOW and hit Enter.

This will repair or replace missing or corrupt files.

--

Jerry

If at first you don't succeed,
Well,
So much for sky diving.

"Lee Beck" <LeeBeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used my optical drive LG-GSA 4163B fine for a couple of months, then
>began
> getting BSOD whenever I try to do anything relating to the DVD-RAM
> capabilities, and also when trying to install some beta softwate from an
> ISO
> disc. I'm thinking that somewhere along the way something has gotten
> corrupted or damaged. I decided to repair vista rather than to reinstall.
> think I've gone too far downstream to use the restore function.
>
> I inserted the vista install disc and can't find a repair routine. Is
> there
> one? Can I repair my copy of vista?

Jay Arr

Re: Can you "Repair" Vista?
I've just this minute "repaired" Vista by booting my machine from the Vista
install CD and selecting the repair option.

Jamboroonie

"JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Lee,
>
> Yes, there is a repair feature on Vista.
> It has to be run at the Windows command prompt.
>
> Right click it in the Start directory,
> and select - Run as administrator,
> Type CD\ to put you in the Root directory.
> Type SFC /SCANNOW and hit Enter.
>
> This will repair or replace missing or corrupt files.
>
> --
>
> Jerry
>
> If at first you don't succeed,
> Well,
> So much for sky diving.
>

> "Lee Beck" <LeeBeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I used my optical drive LG-GSA 4163B fine for a couple of months, then
>>began
>> getting BSOD whenever I try to do anything relating to the DVD-RAM
>> capabilities, and also when trying to install some beta softwate from an
>> ISO
>> disc. I'm thinking that somewhere along the way something has gotten
>> corrupted or damaged. I decided to repair vista rather than to
>> reinstall. I
>> think I've gone too far downstream to use the restore function.
>>
>> I inserted the vista install disc and can't find a repair routine. Is
>> there
>> one? Can I repair my copy of vista?

mikeyhsd

Re: Can you "Repair" Vista?
do believe that just repairs the boot information.
to do a REPAIR as was able in XP you do an in place update.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net