An HDD is too busy. What would help?

Dima

An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Hello!
My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help? Can I combine
2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
What would help?
How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
Regards,
Dima
Ǝиçεl

RE: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Check the exact type of your installed RAM with a tool like AIDA or Everest
(find them via Google).

Check the part number of the installed module.

And/or contact the manufacturer of your PC and ask for the *recommended* RAM
for additional installation.
-=-

Install no more of 4G
-=-

"Dima" wrote:

> Hello!
> My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
> freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
> activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help? Can I combine
> 2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
> Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
> What would help?
> How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
> Regards,
> Dima

Dima

RE: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Thanks for replying!
2gb modules are 1% in all the *recommended* RAMs list, and they are 667.
There are many 1gb 1066 modules in the *recommended* RAMs list.
Why should not I install no more than 4G? My Windows Vista x64 should
support even 8gb. My mailboard Asus P5K supports 8gb.
Regards,
Dima

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Check the exact type of your installed RAM with a tool like AIDA or Everest
> (find them via Google).
>
> Check the part number of the installed module.
>
> And/or contact the manufacturer of your PC and ask for the *recommended* RAM
> for additional installation.
> -=-
>
> Install no more of 4G
> -=-
>
> "Dima" wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> > My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
> > freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
> > activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help? Can I combine
> > 2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
> > Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
> > What would help?
> > How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
> > Regards,
> > Dima

Ǝиçεl

RE: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Hi Dima,

My Windows Vista x64 should
> support even 8gb.

I dn't argue that.

But, what about the software?

Unless you have a specific software requiring more than 4 G.

Maybe others can suggest ways to help with that.

Good luck
-=-

"Dima" wrote:

> Thanks for replying!
> 2gb modules are 1% in all the *recommended* RAMs list, and they are 667.
> There are many 1gb 1066 modules in the *recommended* RAMs list.
> Why should not I install no more than 4G? My Windows Vista x64 should
> support even 8gb. My mailboard Asus P5K supports 8gb.
> Regards,
> Dima
>
> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
> > Check the exact type of your installed RAM with a tool like AIDA or Everest
> > (find them via Google).
> >
> > Check the part number of the installed module.
> >
> > And/or contact the manufacturer of your PC and ask for the *recommended* RAM
> > for additional installation.
> > -=-
> >
> > Install no more of 4G
> > -=-
> >
> > "Dima" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > > My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
> > > freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
> > > activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help? Can I combine
> > > 2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
> > > Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
> > > What would help?
> > > How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
> > > Regards,
> > > Dima

Rick Rogers

Re: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Hi,

A busy disk doesn't necessarily mean you need more ram, it may just be file
accessing, especially if you are sharing (P2P) with utorrent or any other
file sharing software. Adding ram will not alter the activity unless the
files could be cached prior to being accessed (not possible as neither you
nor the system can predict which files are going to be accessed).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news1CE92F1-A1CE-4C5C-ABB5-6F583DC0C953@microsoft.com...
> Hello!
> My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
> freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
> activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help? Can I
> combine
> 2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
> Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
> What would help?
> How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
> Regards,
> Dima

Dima

RE: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
I convert, playback, seed and download in uTorrent 10gb HD videos. Would more
than 4gb reduce HDD business then?

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hi Dima,
>

> My Windows Vista x64 should
> > support even 8gb.
> >

> I dn't argue that.
>

> But, what about the software?
>
> Unless you have a specific software requiring more than 4 G.
>

> Maybe others can suggest ways to help with that.
>

> Good luck
> -=-
>
> "Dima" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for replying!
> > 2gb modules are 1% in all the *recommended* RAMs list, and they are 667.
> > There are many 1gb 1066 modules in the *recommended* RAMs list.
> > Why should not I install no more than 4G? My Windows Vista x64 should
> > support even 8gb. My mailboard Asus P5K supports 8gb.
> > Regards,
> > Dima
> >
> > "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
> >
> > > Check the exact type of your installed RAM with a tool like AIDA or Everest
> > > (find them via Google).
> > >
> > > Check the part number of the installed module.
> > >
> > > And/or contact the manufacturer of your PC and ask for the *recommended* RAM
> > > for additional installation.
> > > -=-
> > >
> > > Install no more of 4G
> > > -=-

Dominic Payer

Re: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Converting videos will put a heavy load on CPU & HDD. More and faster
memory may help by providing a bigger buffer for disk and CPU, and
faster transfer to CPU, but you need to look carefully at which of CPU,
disk input/output and memory is really the limiting factor.

Often with video processing it is the disk transfers which are the
limiting factor and you may need a RAID array to speed up the conversions.

Your system freezes will be because the CPU is fully occupied. More
cores, and another CPU, may help but disk transfers and/or memory speed
will then probably become limiting.

Lowering the priority of the video conversion processes might free your
system for other work by making the video conversion a background task.
Only you can say how important quick video conversion is.

On 24/07/2009 12:18, Dima wrote:
> I convert, playback, seed and download in uTorrent 10gb HD videos. Would more
> than 4gb reduce HDD business then?
>

> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dima,
>>
>> My Windows Vista x64 should
>>> support even 8gb.
>>>

>> I dn't argue that.
>>

>> But, what about the software?
>>
>> Unless you have a specific software requiring more than 4 G.
>>

>> Maybe others can suggest ways to help with that.
>>

>> Good luck
>> -=-
>>
>> "Dima" wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for replying!
>>> 2gb modules are 1% in all the *recommended* RAMs list, and they are 667.
>>> There are many 1gb 1066 modules in the *recommended* RAMs list.
>>> Why should not I install no more than 4G? My Windows Vista x64 should
>>> support even 8gb. My mailboard Asus P5K supports 8gb.
>>> Regards,
>>> Dima

Dima

Re: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Thanks Dominic for your answer!
The priority of the video conversion processes is already "Idle".
The mouse cursor freezes only when the HDD activity indicator lights up
completely and for minutes.
The HDD activity indicator lights up for 10 minutes every hour of uTorrent
seeding. The upload speed is just 30kBytes/s.
Regards,
Dima
"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> Converting videos will put a heavy load on CPU & HDD. More and faster
> memory may help by providing a bigger buffer for disk and CPU, and
> faster transfer to CPU, but you need to look carefully at which of CPU,
> disk input/output and memory is really the limiting factor.
>
> Often with video processing it is the disk transfers which are the
> limiting factor and you may need a RAID array to speed up the conversions.
>
> Your system freezes will be because the CPU is fully occupied. More
> cores, and another CPU, may help but disk transfers and/or memory speed
> will then probably become limiting.
>
> Lowering the priority of the video conversion processes might free your
> system for other work by making the video conversion a background task.
> Only you can say how important quick video conversion is.
>

> On 24/07/2009 12:18, Dima wrote:
> > I convert, playback, seed and download in uTorrent 10gb HD videos. Would more
> > than 4gb reduce HDD business then?
> >

> > "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dima,
> >>
> >> My Windows Vista x64 should
> >>>
> >> I dn't argue that.
> >>

> >> But, what about the software?
> >>
> >> Unless you have a specific software requiring more than 4 G.
> >>

> >> Maybe others can suggest ways to help with that.
> >>

> >> Good luck
> >> -=-

Dima

Re: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
Thanks Rick for your reply!
The HDD activity indicator lights up for 10 minutes every hour of uTorrent
seeding, not all the time. What does uTorrent do every hour? The upload speed
is low, just 30kBytes/s.
Regards,
Dima
"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A busy disk doesn't necessarily mean you need more ram, it may just be file
> accessing, especially if you are sharing (P2P) with utorrent or any other
> file sharing software. Adding ram will not alter the activity unless the
> files could be cached prior to being accessed (not possible as neither you
> nor the system can predict which files are going to be accessed).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> Vote for my shoe: http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news1CE92F1-A1CE-4C5C-ABB5-6F583DC0C953@microsoft.com...
> > Hello!
> > My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
> > freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
> > activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help? Can I
> > combine
> > 2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
> > Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
> > What would help?
> > How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
> > Regards,
> > Dima

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: An HDD is too busy. What would help?
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 01:06:02 -0700, Dima
<Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello!
> My HDD activity indicator lights up for 20 minutes and even mouse cursor
> freezes some times. This is because of uTorrent 1.8.3 and video conversion
> activity I guess. Will increasing of RAM from 2gb to 6gb help?

I can't be sure, but probably not. How much RAM you can make effective
use of depends on what apps you are running, and not on disk usage.

> Can I combine
> 2x1gb 800mhz installed modules with new 2x2gb 1066mhz modules?
> Page file is on G: HDD already, not C:. Windows Vista is x64.
> What would help?
> How to know what makes an HDD so busy exactly?
> Regards,
> Dima

Please Reply to the Newsgroup