Simultaneous USB Ports Malfunction

GWL

Simultaneous USB Ports Malfunction
Yesterday, my computer suddenly issued a series of USB port unplugging
sounds. Investigation has revealed that none of the USB ports on my machine
are functioning. No USB printer, keyboard or mouse (without PS/2). There were
five windows displayed with the following message: "One of the USB devices
attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize
it." Occasionally when I try to plug in a device, while no plugging sound is
issued, the malfunction message will be displayed. I also have one USB port
in a multi-card reader on my machine and it has a Ready Boost device plugged
in. This device works when plugged in at Boot, but is unrecognized if plugged
in after boot.
HELP, I have no clue as to what happened here.
Richard G. Harper [MVP]

Re: Simultaneous USB Ports Malfunction
If you have restarted the computer and still have no USB, you likely have a
hardware failure on your system.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Desktop] rgharper@gmail.com

"GWL" <GWL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday, my computer suddenly issued a series of USB port unplugging
> sounds. Investigation has revealed that none of the USB ports on my
> machine
> are functioning. No USB printer, keyboard or mouse (without PS/2). There
> were
> five windows displayed with the following message: "One of the USB devices
> attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize
> it." Occasionally when I try to plug in a device, while no plugging sound
> is
> issued, the malfunction message will be displayed. I also have one USB
> port
> in a multi-card reader on my machine and it has a Ready Boost device
> plugged
> in. This device works when plugged in at Boot, but is unrecognized if
> plugged
> in after boot.
> HELP, I have no clue as to what happened here.

GWL

Re: Simultaneous USB Ports Malfunction
Thank you for the response. I answered in another thread that after spending
the weekend trying to figure this out, I gave up and assumed it was hardware
too. I unplugged everything and took it to the shop where nothing was found
amiss. After bringing back the computer all USB ports were functioning
normally. Since this happened I was contacted by two other users who
experienced the same problem. One explained that her IS people could not
bring her USB ports back on Friday. They told her that they would bring a
replacement on Monday. She unplugged the computer and left it unpowered over
the weekend. On Monday morning out of habit, she booted up the ailing machine
and all USB ports had returned to full function. I am now leaning in the
direction of some kind of problem that was resolved by the prolonged
unplugging of the machines. (Or maybe the Cyber Gods were just playing.)
:-)

"Richard G. Harper [MVP]" wrote:

> If you have restarted the computer and still have no USB, you likely have a
> hardware failure on your system.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Desktop] rgharper@gmail.com
>

> "GWL" <GWL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday, my computer suddenly issued a series of USB port unplugging
> > sounds. Investigation has revealed that none of the USB ports on my
> > machine
> > are functioning. No USB printer, keyboard or mouse (without PS/2). There
> > were
> > five windows displayed with the following message: "One of the USB devices
> > attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize
> > it." Occasionally when I try to plug in a device, while no plugging sound
> > is
> > issued, the malfunction message will be displayed. I also have one USB
> > port
> > in a multi-card reader on my machine and it has a Ready Boost device
> > plugged
> > in. This device works when plugged in at Boot, but is unrecognized if
> > plugged
> > in after boot.
> > HELP, I have no clue as to what happened here.

hafizahmad

Driver Problems in Windows Vista
Find assistance for Hardware and Drivers problems at this link

http://tweak-vista.blogspot.com/sear...ver%20Problems
hafizahmad

Speedup Windows Vist through bypassing unused hardware
Here is a method to Speedup Windows Vist through bypassing unused hardware

http://tweak-vista.blogspot.com/2008...up-bypass.html