Computer crashes on startup. RAM problem?

santiagomaspero@gmail.com

Computer crashes on startup. RAM problem?
Here are my pc stats. Proc. C2Q 9300, Mobo DX38BT, 4gb RAM dual
channel (Kingston set of two 2gb strips, DDR3 1333), NVIDIA GeForce
XFX 8800GT, HD 750gb, Windows Vista 32 (same problem happened under
Win XP).

Here┤s the thing. When I turn on my pc with just ONE of the two memory
strips (2gb), or even when I try a different memory set (kingston 1gb,
set of two 512), the computer boots just fine. But when I do it with
both 2gb strips (4gb total), computer crashes on startup. Sometimes
the screen freezes when Vista is loading the startup apps, some other
times it doesn┤t even get to that point and the computer just stops
working somewhere along the process. Something else happened when I
tried it with ONE 2gb strip and TWO 512mb strips (3gb total). This
time I got a blue screen. The message on the blue screen said
something like "There was an attempt to write on the read only
memory".

With WinXp (I switched to Vista to see if I could fix this problem)
the computer could boot (at a noticeably slower speed), but it would
just reboot when I played media files or opened a few browser windows
(I unchecked the "restart automatically" box to see if there were any
blue screens of error messages, but it would just reboot without any
of those, as if there was a power interruption.

I ran some memory testing apps and there doesn┤t seem to be a problem
with the hardware, so I guess it must be something that needs to be
configured. Note that the Bios setting for memory are automatically
assigned to some values that seem to be wrong. For instance, the
voltage is set to 1.54, while the memory specs clearly state that it
should run on 1.5. I tried to run it with different settings (changed
it to 1.5v, 7-7-7-20 instead of the 9-9-9-24) but I still can┤t get it
to work.

I read in some forum that this kind of memory, with this kind of fast
processor and this mobo can have some synchronization issues or things
that need to be fine tuned, but I can┤t seem to find an expert on the
subject.

Is anyone kind enough to give me a hand? Thanks

usasma

RE: Computer crashes on startup. RAM problem?
As the same issues happened in XP and Vista - I'd have to wonder about the
BIOS on your motherboard. Go to the mobo manufacturer's website and look for
BIOS updates.

If you find them, check to see if there are any updates available. Read the
information about the update to see if it applies to this issue.

If it does, and you want to update your BIOS - be VERY, VERY careful to
follow the directions exactly. Print the directions out and ensure that you
have selected the proper BIOS update file before proceeding and don't let
anything affect the progress of the flash.

- John

"santiagomaspero@gmail.com" wrote:

> Here are my pc stats. Proc. C2Q 9300, Mobo DX38BT, 4gb RAM dual
> channel (Kingston set of two 2gb strips, DDR3 1333), NVIDIA GeForce
> XFX 8800GT, HD 750gb, Windows Vista 32 (same problem happened under
> Win XP).
>
> Here┬┤s the thing. When I turn on my pc with just ONE of the two memory
> strips (2gb), or even when I try a different memory set (kingston 1gb,
> set of two 512), the computer boots just fine. But when I do it with
> both 2gb strips (4gb total), computer crashes on startup. Sometimes
> the screen freezes when Vista is loading the startup apps, some other
> times it doesn┬┤t even get to that point and the computer just stops
> working somewhere along the process. Something else happened when I
> tried it with ONE 2gb strip and TWO 512mb strips (3gb total). This
> time I got a blue screen. The message on the blue screen said
> something like "There was an attempt to write on the read only
> memory".
>
> With WinXp (I switched to Vista to see if I could fix this problem)
> the computer could boot (at a noticeably slower speed), but it would
> just reboot when I played media files or opened a few browser windows
> (I unchecked the "restart automatically" box to see if there were any
> blue screens of error messages, but it would just reboot without any
> of those, as if there was a power interruption.
>
> I ran some memory testing apps and there doesn┬┤t seem to be a problem
> with the hardware, so I guess it must be something that needs to be
> configured. Note that the Bios setting for memory are automatically
> assigned to some values that seem to be wrong. For instance, the
> voltage is set to 1.54, while the memory specs clearly state that it
> should run on 1.5. I tried to run it with different settings (changed
> it to 1.5v, 7-7-7-20 instead of the 9-9-9-24) but I still can┬┤t get it
> to work.
>
> I read in some forum that this kind of memory, with this kind of fast
> processor and this mobo can have some synchronization issues or things
> that need to be fine tuned, but I can┬┤t seem to find an expert on the
> subject.
>
> Is anyone kind enough to give me a hand? Thanks

toprod555

RE: Computer crashes on startup. RAM problem?
make sure you mobo suports dual channel memory and weather its buffrred or
unbuffered or eec or non eec need to look in mobo manual leave memory set
to auto in bios allows for better compatabillity also do you get any beep
codes at start up post ? othther thing is check speed of ram is compatable
with board last resort check for bios update for this problem follow
instructions to the letter with bios update if it fails could destroy bios
chip hope this helps