32bit v 64bit operating system

Suzan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32bit v 64bit operating system
Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion dv9308nr notebook which HP techies tell me should have a 32 bit operating system and a 64bit processor. But my system tells me that it is a 64bit operating system....and so does the system recovery cd. But all the drivers seems to be 32bit and I have two Program files which seem to be duplicates of each other though one is called'Program' and the other is Program x86. If, as I suspect, a reinstallation done by a well-known company used the wrong recovery disc will this be a huge problem? The machine had 1gb of RAM until today. I wanted to upgrade to 4gb but was told the mother board can only support 2gb in total, so that's what I now have. Online, Vista says the 64bit system needs 4gb. Is this true?

I did a health check and got a report that says my D drive - which is my system recovery drive - is too full and that I should delete som files. It also said "root\cmv2:SELECT:Relpath,Name,description,VolumeD irty FROM Win 32_LogicalDisc WHERE Drive Type=3 and Volume Dirty = true.

I don't know if these are all reated issues, or if they should be separate queries. Can someone please advise me? Thanks.
david manvell

RE: 32bit v 64bit operating system

"Suzan" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an HP Pavilion dv9308nr notebook which HP techies tell me should
> have a 32 bit operating system and a 64bit processor. But my system
> tells me that it is a 64bit operating system....and so does the system
> recovery cd. But all the drivers seems to be 32bit and I have two
> Program files which seem to be duplicates of each other though one is
> called'Program' and the other is Program x86. If, as I suspect, a
> reinstallation done by a well-known company used the wrong recovery disc
> will this be a huge problem? The machine had 1gb of RAM until today. I
> wanted to upgrade to 4gb but was told the mother board can only support
> 2gb in total, so that's what I now have. Online, Vista says the 64bit
> system needs 4gb. Is this true?
>
> I did a health check and got a report that says my D drive - which is
> my system recovery drive - is too full and that I should delete som
> files. It also said
> "root\cmv2:SELECT:Relpath,Name,description,VolumeD irty FROM Win
> 32_LogicalDisc WHERE Drive Type=3 and Volume Dirty = true.
>
> I don't know if these are all reated issues, or if they should be
> separate queries. Can someone please advise me? Thanks.
>

> --
> Suzan

If you right click your Computer icon on your desktop then select
Properties, it will tell you in the System section if you do have a 64 bit
operating system installed or not. If you don't have the Computer icon on
your desktop, click on Start then point your mouse cursor over the word
Computer then right click.

If you do have a 64 bit operating system then you also have 64 bit hardware
to support it (Or you wouldn't be able to run the 64 bit OS.

If you have a 64 bit OS then you can have more then 4 GB of ram. 32 bit
windows is limited to 3.2 GB ram.

If you have 64 bit hardware, you can install either a 32 bit or a 64 bit
operating system. 64 bit operating system is best however if you have 64 bit
hardware so you can take advantage of the extra speed and memory.

Some software is written in 32 bit and some is written in 64 bit. The 64 bit
software is faster then the 32 bit counterpart so if given a choice always
install the 64 bit version.

Software that is installed in the Programs_86 drawer are 32 bit software
programs. Software installed in the Programs drawer are 64 bit versions of
the software.

If you only have a 32 bit operating system, you will only see a Programs
drawer and in it will only be 32 bit software.