Computer memory amount keeps changing

__

Computer memory amount keeps changing
Hello All,

I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell laptop
and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a 256 MB chip.
The problem is that every other reboot on average, it gives the "amount of
memory has changed" and it will go down to 128 or back up to 384. I would
wonder if the memory isn't tight in the slot but it's in a docking station
and not getting moved. Any ideas appreciated, the box is already slow at
384, at 128 it's just unbearable.

Rick Rogers

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing
Hi,

Could be loose, try reseating it. Also could be a failing stick or slot in
the motherboard, so replacement may be the only viable option.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"__" <guest@login.net> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell laptop
> and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a 256 MB chip.
> The problem is that every other reboot on average, it gives the "amount of
> memory has changed" and it will go down to 128 or back up to 384. I would
> wonder if the memory isn't tight in the slot but it's in a docking station
> and not getting moved. Any ideas appreciated, the box is already slow at
> 384, at 128 it's just unbearable.

Gerry

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing

Does the extra memory comply with the requirements specified in the
motherboard manual?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

__ wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell
> laptop and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a
> 256 MB chip. The problem is that every other reboot on average, it
> gives the "amount of memory has changed" and it will go down to 128
> or back up to 384. I would wonder if the memory isn't tight in the
> slot but it's in a docking station and not getting moved. Any ideas
> appreciated, the box is already slow at 384, at 128 it's just
> unbearable.

Bill in Co.

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing
I wonder if he properly put it in in pairs (thinking of the different slots
or banks).

Gerry wrote:
> Does the extra memory comply with the requirements specified in the
> motherboard manual?
>

> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> __ wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell
>> laptop and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a
>> 256 MB chip. The problem is that every other reboot on average, it
>> gives the "amount of memory has changed" and it will go down to 128
>> or back up to 384. I would wonder if the memory isn't tight in the
>> slot but it's in a docking station and not getting moved. Any ideas
>> appreciated, the box is already slow at 384, at 128 it's just
>> unbearable.

Gerry

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing
Bill

Only the OP can say. Without knowing what motherboard is being used we
can find out whether that is necessary.

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill in Co. wrote:
> I wonder if he properly put it in in pairs (thinking of the different
> slots or banks).
>
> Gerry wrote:
>> Does the extra memory comply with the requirements specified in the
>> motherboard manual?
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> __ wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell
>>> laptop and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a
>>> 256 MB chip. The problem is that every other reboot on average, it
>>> gives the "amount of memory has changed" and it will go down to 128
>>> or back up to 384. I would wonder if the memory isn't tight in the
>>> slot but it's in a docking station and not getting moved. Any ideas
>>> appreciated, the box is already slow at 384, at 128 it's just
>>> unbearable.

__

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing
It's a Latitude CPxJ, Pentium II. It'll only tell me the specific model
when I boot, I"ll post it once I reboot next. Ancient model in any event.
I don't know how to open it. I bought it used. I've opened laptops before
but they're rather like snowflakes, each one is different. I'll post what I
find.

"Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Bill
>
> Only the OP can say. Without knowing what motherboard is being used we can
> find out whether that is necessary.
>

> --
> Regards.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> I wonder if he properly put it in in pairs (thinking of the different
>> slots or banks).
>>
>> Gerry wrote:
>>> Does the extra memory comply with the requirements specified in the
>>> motherboard manual?
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Gerry
>>> ~~~~
>>> FCA
>>> Stourport, England
>>> Enquire, plan and execute
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

__

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing
J650GT BIOD A16

> It's a Latitude CPxJ, Pentium II. It'll only tell me the specific model
> when I boot, I"ll post it once I reboot next. Ancient model in any event.
> I don't know how to open it. I bought it used. I've opened laptops
> before but they're rather like snowflakes, each one is different. I'll
> post what I find.
>

> "Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Bill
>>
>> Only the OP can say. Without knowing what motherboard is being used we
>> can find out whether that is necessary.
>>

>> --
>> Regards.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> Bill in Co. wrote:
>>> I wonder if he properly put it in in pairs (thinking of the different
>>> slots or banks).

Gerry

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing

http://support.euro.dell.com/support...ecs.htm#memory

You could run Dell Diagnostics
http://support.euro.dell.com/support...memory_modules

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

__ wrote:
> J650GT BIOD A16
>
> "__" <guest@login.net> wrote in message
>> It's a Latitude CPxJ, Pentium II. It'll only tell me the specific
>> model when I boot, I"ll post it once I reboot next. Ancient model
>> in any event. I don't know how to open it. I bought it used. I've
>> opened laptops before but they're rather like snowflakes, each one
>> is different. I'll post what I find.
>>

>> "Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> Only the OP can say. Without knowing what motherboard is being used
>>> we can find out whether that is necessary.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> Gerry
>>> ~~~~
>>> FCA
>>> Stourport, England
>>> Enquire, plan and execute

Rob

Re: Computer memory amount keeps changing

if I remember right, back in this day mem had to be in pairs

so a 128+256 will give odd results. try getting another 256, shud be cheap, and chuck the 128

--
Q9450 OC'd 3.8GHz
4x 2GB 1066Mhz RAM 1:1