Finally started overclocking

lolsonjr

Finally started overclocking
I used a program called Ntune today.  I adjusted the front side bus of my HP a6300f to 228.mhz. , which translates to rated FSB of 912.8 mhz. which using a multiplier of 6 brings the core speed to 2282.8 mhz.  This is all without yet changing the Power Supply out which is 250 watts.  Can I go any further or should I just leave it as is?  Temperatures look ok.  Mainboard is 22%C, CPU1 is 26%C, CPU1 Core is between 30 to 40%C as is CPU0 Core.

Dustin Harper

Re: Finally started overclocking
As long as it's stable (try running Prime95 for a day or two to make sure!)
it should be fine. You might want to upgrade that power supply soon, though,
if you can. It looks kind of weak. But, without knowing the other specs of
your machine, it's hard to tell.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

"lolsonjr" wrote in message news:uQWVnGOyIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I used a program called Ntune today.  I adjusted the front side bus of
>my HP a6300f to 228.mhz. , which translates to rated FSB of 912.8 mhz.
>which using a multiplier of 6 brings the core speed to 2282.8 mhz.
>This is all without yet changing the Power Supply out which is 250
>watts.  Can I go any further or should I just leave it as is?
>Temperatures look ok.  Mainboard is 22%C, CPU1 is 26%C, CPU1 Core is
>between 30 to 40%C as is CPU0 Core.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Jay Moore

Re: Finally started overclocking
I used to overclock...everything..i found it was a way to get more
performence out of cheaper hardware.

I don't overclock anymore. Sure, you can run the hardware overclocked....and
maybe even stable..but seriously...you're drastically reducing the life of
your hardware by doing it...not to mention you might be causing all kinds of
other issues.

If you wanna run that though, swap out your power supply and DIFFENTLY
upgrade the cooling on your CPU...you're running it beyond it's design and
beyond what the heatsink/fan were designed to handle. You're bascially
turning the dial on the oven up a few degrees..and after a few months, it
can spell disaster. You're seriously better dropping the speed back to
normal..ESPICALLY FSB tweaks...you're setting yourself up for a bunch of RAM
issues in the future.

"lolsonjr" wrote in message news:uQWVnGOyIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I used a program called Ntune today.  I adjusted the front side bus of
>my HP a6300f to 228.mhz. , which translates to rated FSB of 912.8 mhz.
>which using a multiplier of 6 brings the core speed to 2282.8 mhz.
>This is all without yet changing the Power Supply out which is 250
>watts.  Can I go any further or should I just leave it as is?
>Temperatures look ok.  Mainboard is 22%C, CPU1 is 26%C, CPU1 Core is
>between 30 to 40%C as is CPU0 Core.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Dustin Harper

Re: Finally started overclocking
"You're drastically reducing the life of your hardware by doing it"

Do you happen to have any sources on that? How much it really is reduced? So
far, us die hard overclockers have never run into the problem. Sure, it does
do it, but not 'drastically'. 15 years instead of 20 for the lifetime of a
CPU, possibly. But, computer technology moves much faster than the life of a
CPU. If you overvolt, and have poor cooling, you can fry your CPU, but that
is almost instant.

For minor overclocking, it is very safe. A lot of CPU's are actually higher
spec processors, but slowed down to fill a gap in supply.

--

"Jay Moore" <dewdude@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I used to overclock...everything..i found it was a way to get more
>performence out of cheaper hardware.
>
> I don't overclock anymore. Sure, you can run the hardware
> overclocked....and maybe even stable..but seriously...you're drastically
> reducing the life of your hardware by doing it...not to mention you might
> be causing all kinds of other issues.
>
> If you wanna run that though, swap out your power supply and DIFFENTLY
> upgrade the cooling on your CPU...you're running it beyond it's design and
> beyond what the heatsink/fan were designed to handle. You're bascially
> turning the dial on the oven up a few degrees..and after a few months, it
> can spell disaster. You're seriously better dropping the speed back to
> normal..ESPICALLY FSB tweaks...you're setting yourself up for a bunch of
> RAM issues in the future.
>
> "lolsonjr" wrote in message news:uQWVnGOyIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>I used a program called Ntune today.&nbsp; I adjusted the front side bus
>>of my HP a6300f to 228.mhz.&nbsp;, which translates to rated FSB of 912.8
>>mhz. which using a multiplier of 6 brings the core speed to 2282.8
>>mhz.&nbsp; This is all without yet changing the Power Supply out which is
>>250 watts.&nbsp; Can I go any further or should I just leave it as
>>is?&nbsp; Temperatures look ok.&nbsp; Mainboard is 22%C, CPU1 is 26%C,
>>CPU1 Core is between 30 to 40%C as is CPU0 Core.&nbsp;
>>

>> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Rob

Re: Finally started overclocking
"lolsonjr" wrote in message news:uQWVnGOyIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I used a program called Ntune today.&nbsp; I adjusted the front side bus of my HP a6300f to
>228.mhz.&nbsp;, which translates to rated FSB of 912.8 mhz. which using a multiplier of 6
>brings the core speed to 2282.8 mhz.&nbsp; This is all without yet changing the Power Supply
>out which is 250 watts.&nbsp; Can I go any further or should I just leave it as is?&nbsp;
>Temperatures look ok.&nbsp; Mainboard is 22%C, CPU1 is 26%C, CPU1 Core is between 30 to 40%C as
>is CPU0 Core.&nbsp;
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

what is the stuff inside ur machine now?

--
Q9450 OC'd 3.8GHz
4x 2GB 1066Mhz RAM 1:1