Laptop Keyboard and Mouse Suddenly Stopped Working

GirlFriday is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laptop Keyboard and Mouse Suddenly Stopped Working
Okay, I am hoping someone in this forum might be able to give me a little computer help. I am at my wits end. I have an Acer Aspire 3100 Laptop with the Windows Vista OS, AMD Sempron processor, 80 GB HD, 512 MB DDR2 (I canít give any other info due to the fact that I canít use the computer at present and donít have any of the paperwork because I am currently out of the country); Iíve had it about 8 months and have only had minimal problems. However, the other day I turned it on to download photos from my cell phone to the computer, but when it turned on the cursor was frozen in the middle of the screen. I allowed it to sit for a few more minutes thinking maybe I didnít let it boot up completely, but it never unfroze. I tried to use the keyboard to maneuver a restart with CTRL+ALT+DEL but the keyboard didnít respond either. So I just turned it off using the power switch. I let it sit for a while and then tried a reboot. This time it worked. I thought I would attempt some troubleshooting so I did a disc cleanup and scheduled a scan disc to be completed on restart. Then I began the AVG virus scanner (which has been installed on the computer for over 2 months and not given me a problem) and a few minutes into the scan the whole computer locked up again (not just a program ďnot respondingĒ). I let it sit about 15 minutes hoping it would unlock, but it didnít. The cursor was frozen in the middle of the screen and the keyboard was not responding again. I turned it off by the power switch and let it sit for about an hour. When I turned it back on the scan disc I had scheduled began running and when the system restarted everything worked again, but then I needed to leave so I put the computer to sleep and brought it with me. When I turned the computer back on a few hours later everything seemed to be working. I began working on a project and maybe 20-30 minutes into the project, the computer completely locked up again, cursor in the middle and no keyboard function. I did notice that the laptop was running a little hot at that point and from then on I have kept it in the coolest place possible and keep my house fan blowing on it as well.

I am generally pretty good at troubleshooting if I can maneuver but I canít do anything. The last things I did on the computer on the days right before it stopped working properly were download photos from my cell phone, help a friend of mine create a Skype account (Skype was already installed on the computer for about 2 months and working fine before I created the account) and authorize a windows update which had downloaded and was ready to install. I have attempted to start it in safe mode, but even at the bios point I have no keyboard function. I have attempted pressing the FN F7 touch pad on/off button thinking maybe that could be the problem to no avail. I have also tried using an external USB mouse thinking maybe the touchpad is fault, again to no avail.

At this point when I turn the computer on the Acer logo displays and then it takes me to a bios screen that says that Windows Error Recovery-windows failed to startÖit defaults to run Startup Repair and I canít change the selection because the keyboard will not work. So the computer runs the Startup Repair wizard which then asks if I want to restore using System Restore. Again, I am not able to select Restore because neither the keyboard nor the mouse are working. I can go no further than that screen and once more am forced to turn the computer off by the power switch. I donít know what is wrong, what caused it to go wrong or how to fix it.

I have spent a good portion of the past 2 days online on a friends computer trying to find out more information about what the problem might be or what the solution is, but I just keep coming up with articles like ďyour mouse batteries are deadĒ (which they arenít, because my mouse is a touchpad) and ďuse the keyboard toÖĒ (I canít because the keyboard is not working) and many other rather unhelpful Ďsolutionsí. I am at a complete loss and donít know what to do. I would like to try to fix it on my own as I am on a very tight budget and would prefer to not have to spend money unnecessarily. Does anyone have a legitimate solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
Dominic Payer

Re: Laptop Keyboard and Mouse Suddenly Stopped Working
This looks like a problem with the hardware in the 3100. If you have a
current warranty you should return the laptop for diagnosis and repair.

If no warranty is current, it may not be economic to repair. You should be
able to remove the disk and connect it to a USB adapter and recover your
data to another machine.

"GirlFriday" <GirlFriday.39pcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:GirlFriday.39pcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> [...]
> further than that screen and once more am forced to turn the computer
> off by the power switch. I don't know what is wrong, what caused it to
> go wrong or how to fix it.::
>
> ::I have spent a good portion of the past 2 days online on a friends
> computer trying to find out more information about what the problem
> might be or what the solution is, but I just keep coming up with
> articles like "your mouse batteries are dead" (which they aren't,
> because my mouse is a touchpad) and "use the keyboard to." (I can't
> because the keyboard is not working) and many other rather unhelpful
> 'solutions'. I am at a complete loss and don't know what to do. I would
> like to try to fix it on my own as I am on a very tight budget and would
> prefer to not have to spend money unnecessarily. Does anyone have a
> legitimate solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.::

Bob

Re: Laptop Keyboard and Mouse Suddenly Stopped Working
If you can manage to boot up again here are some things you can try.

Run sfc /scannow.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Uninstall the windows update you mentioned.

From Device Manger uninstall the mouse and keyboard, reboot and allow them
to reinstall.

Before AVG were you using Norton or McAfee? They leave bits behind that can
screw things up.

Which firewall are you running?

Which anti-spyware program(s)?

There are some that don't play nice with Vista.

> [...]
> further than that screen and once more am forced to turn the computer
> off by the power switch. I donít know what is wrong, what caused it to
> go wrong or how to fix it.::
>
> ::I have spent a good portion of the past 2 days online on a friends
> computer trying to find out more information about what the problem
> might be or what the solution is, but I just keep coming up with
> articles like ďyour mouse batteries are deadĒ (which they arenít,
> because my mouse is a touchpad) and ďuse the keyboard toÖĒ (I canít
> because the keyboard is not working) and many other rather unhelpful
> Ďsolutionsí. I am at a complete loss and donít know what to do. I would
> like to try to fix it on my own as I am on a very tight budget and would
> prefer to not have to spend money unnecessarily. Does anyone have a
> legitimate solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.::

Location: Ireland
drumroragh is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sell and repair Acer laptops, and it sounds like you have tried everything possible to sort out the problem, if you cannot turn on the touchpad using the FN + F7 keys, you are not going to be able to solve the problem and as you have already indicated that you have only had the laptop for about 8+ months, it is still under warranty and you should get it logged into an Acer repair centre as soon as possible, all you need is the serial number from the bottom of the laptop and the proof of purchase.

As long as you have the problem logged efiore the expiry of the 12 month warranty Acer will usually collect from you home and return it to you after repair.

Check out the following site for a contact address and number for your Country.

Acer Europe, Middle East and Africa - Service & Support, Contact Acer

Last edited by drumroragh : 05-26-2008 at 11:52. Reason: Add additional information
Animeazn

Re: Laptop Keyboard and Mouse Suddenly Stopped Working
I own a hp pavilion dv2000 with Windows Vista and I've been experiencing some
of the same problems. First of all, sometimes when I log into windows, my
screen is totally white and blank. On top of that, my keyboard and mouse also
stopped working. I don't know what to do, I tried doing some system restore,
but that still didn't solve the problem. My conclusion is that WINDOWS VISTA
SUCKS. -.-'' sorry, but I've experienced numerous problems with Windows Vista
and I think its just a whole load of bull_ _ _ _ ;; you fill in the blanks
.....*sigh* Can anybody please direct me in some sort of direction, on which
way I should deal with this problem. Thanks.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> [...]
> > further than that screen and once more am forced to turn the computer
> > off by the power switch. I don't know what is wrong, what caused it to
> > go wrong or how to fix it.::
> >
> > ::I have spent a good portion of the past 2 days online on a friends
> > computer trying to find out more information about what the problem
> > might be or what the solution is, but I just keep coming up with
> > articles like "your mouse batteries are dead" (which they aren't,
> > because my mouse is a touchpad) and "use the keyboard to." (I can't
> > because the keyboard is not working) and many other rather unhelpful
> > 'solutions'. I am at a complete loss and don't know what to do. I would
> > like to try to fix it on my own as I am on a very tight budget and would
> > prefer to not have to spend money unnecessarily. Does anyone have a
> > legitimate solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.::

It looks like a hardware problem, but i agree with you 100%, Vista is the biggest piece of S**t that has ever come out of the USA, no wonder Bill Gates is stepping down, i wouldn't want to be associated with Vista either.

I would suggest that you check out HP's site and download all see if it is possible to step the operating system back to Windows XP

Location: Ireland
drumroragh is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a hardware problem, but i agree with you 100%, Vista is the biggest piece of S**t that has ever come out of the USA, no wonder Bill Gates is stepping down, i wouldn't want to be associated with Vista either.

I would suggest that you check out HP's site and download all of the drivers for Windows XP.

The Link is here:

Software & Driver downloads*HP Pavilion dv2000 CTO Notebook PC

I hope that this wll help.

Location: Ireland
drumroragh is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever sort out the problem with your Acer Aspire 3100, i have an Aspire 3000 that has a damaged screen but the motherboard is perfect and should fit if you are interested.
meatpudding

Re: Laptop Keyboard and Mouse Suddenly Stopped Working
I know this thread was a while back, but i just wanted to say that I have the
same problem right now and it is not a hardware issue. I loaded Vista PE and
everything worked fine, I just don't know what the problem is on my current
laptop.
Rob

> [...]
> further than that screen and once more am forced to turn the computer
> off by the power switch. I donít know what is wrong, what caused it to
> go wrong or how to fix it.::
>
> ::I have spent a good portion of the past 2 days online on a friends
> computer trying to find out more information about what the problem
> might be or what the solution is, but I just keep coming up with
> articles like ďyour mouse batteries are deadĒ (which they arenít,
> because my mouse is a touchpad) and ďuse the keyboard toÖĒ (I canít
> because the keyboard is not working) and many other rather unhelpful
> Ďsolutionsí. I am at a complete loss and donít know what to do. I would
> like to try to fix it on my own as I am on a very tight budget and would
> prefer to not have to spend money unnecessarily. Does anyone have a
> legitimate solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.::

cud it be ur laptop is overheating? u said when u moved it, it seemed ok, but felt hot before.
idk where the fan on that model is, but a lot of laptops have the fan on bottom, which is ghey
for using it on anything other than a completely flat surface (ie not bed/lap etc)

--
Q9450 OC'd 3.8GHz
4x 2GB 1066Mhz RAM 1:1