KVM switches & Vista 64-bit?

Blithe

KVM switches & Vista 64-bit?
I am not sure if the issue of 'Vista compatibility' & KVM switches is a
relevant one. (One KVM vendor I contacted claimed KVM's functioned
independently regardless of the operating system). I would like some
reassurance because:

1. I will soon be installing Vista Ultimate 64-bit on a new PC
2. I run two W2K PCs thru an old Belkin, PS/2, KVM switch ("OmniCube
4-Port") that has never been a problem but I'd like to replace it if it
might become an issue with Vista.
3. The Microsoft Vista-ready hardware listing does not appear to include KVM
switches
4. Belkin Tech Support has failed to reassure - their responses to my
inquiries has been mixed & less than a clear 'yes' or 'no' (a Belkin tech
agt.has indicated their USB models have Vista issues)
5. I did discover that zonenetusa.com posted a Vista-ready list for their
components & they claim their model KVM3304 - a PS/2, 4-port KVM - is
'Vista-ready' - (That is reassuring but do I need it?)

So . . . can any Vista hardware guru advise if PS/2, KVM switches
represent any relevant Vista 64-bit compatibility issues? If so, can you
suggest what options I have to prepare for a relatively painless
installation that will continue to maintain my KVM setup?

Many thanks - Blithe

mikeyhsd

Re: KVM switches & Vista 64-bit?
I had looked into this for a friend and was unable to find a KVM with 64 bit drivers for vista.
32 bit was a different story.

might check with some computer stores in your area.
not like best buy and circuit city but regular stores.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Blithe" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message news:ei71GEyVIHA.5396@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

Thanks, Mike,
I just surfed again & found that Iogear and D-Link have posted 32-bit/64-bit
'Vista-ready' KVMs. The specs for one switch claim it's OS independent.

I see no reason why my old Belkin KVM would create a Vista issue. I'll go a
step at a time & decide when I finally hook it up.

Blithe

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
[...]

it all depends on how the switching is done.
via program or manual with a switch.
by program, you need drivers and that is where the problem arises.
by switch you need to insure you have a break before make switching so as not to cause dual connections.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Blithe" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message news:uOfXjG8VIHA.4696@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

I am sure that you are correct, Mike. Any interactive programming controls
will require the drivers. My Belkin came with no software. The switching
is manual by a toggle switch that loops thru port 1 to 4 and back again.
(Some users complain about the beep at each port change.) I probably have
nothing to worry about. I strongly suspect that PC component makers/sellers
are posting Vista-ready icons for many of their products that obviously will
prove not to have any compatibility issues. That's just a smart marketing
strategy.

[...]

probably, almost anything to try and get more $ from you.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Blithe" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message news:ecdc779VIHA.4448@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

Wolfgang Kaml

RE: KVM switches & Vista 64-bit?
Hi there!

I found your posting through looking and searching for answers to....
How to get Windows Vista Ultimate to work with the Belkin OmniCube 4-Port
switch?

Well, the fact that I am posting this question will tell you that 'yes,
there is a problem with Windows Vista support for Belkin OmniCube 4-Port
switch, and more than likely, yes, there is a problem with Windows Vista and
any multiple computer switch boxes.

While I agree, that the Belkin OmniCube 4-Port switch does support any
operating system, Windows Vista does not support the Belkin OmniCube 4-Port
switch.

Well, you may think - that's a strange comment...

I have spent half a day now trying to figure this all out, and the source of
all problems seems to be the "smart monitor detection of Windows Vista", or,
the smart hardware detection of Windows Vista.

The problem is the following: When I connect both monitors, digital and VGA
to the docking station of my Dell Precision M60 laptop directly, then both
monitors (through a combination of using FN+F8 and the monitor settings in
the control panel) start to work. Also, if I then unplug the VGA cable from
connecting monitor 1 directly and instead reroute the VGA cable through the
Belkin OmniCube 4-port switch, then Windows Vista immediately starts the
whole monitor scanning process all over. Interestingly enough, it picks up
monitor 1 rerouted through the Belkin OmniPort switch (and the correct port
being active - of course) and keeps the digital monitor active too.
However, as soon as I switch to a different computer, the Belkin OmniPort
4-port switch naturally will turn off the VGA monitor for the Windows Vista
laptop, which again will cause the Windows Vista laptop to scan for monitors,
now turning the dual view off and using the digital monitor only. When I
scroll through the computers and back to said Windows Vista laptop, Vista
won't recognize the dual screen again.

Unless I am able to turn off the monitor scan (or other hardware scan) and
just safe monitor settings as are for the Windows Vista box so I can use the
Belkin OmniCube 4-port and scroll through computers and back to the Vista box
using both
monitors, I will restore my Windows XP Professional GHost image as Windows
XP worked just like a charm in that setup constellation.

It may not help you any further with your setup but definitely give ideas of
what to expect.

Regards,
Wolfgang