USB

Sven Molin

USB
Can anyone please help me.

I have four USB ports in the back of my computer.
They are all used up.

1: Extern USB HardDive
2: Extern USB HardDrive
3: Printer Canon ip4500
4: USB conectedion for mouse and keyboard.

And I bought a PCI Express card with 4+1 USB ports inserted in my computer.
Its connected to 12v power.
But none of the HardDrives or the printer works in this USB ports.
So that card was a waste of money.
The only thing that work is a small lamp connected on that cards USB ports.

And I have tryed use a USB Hub with 7 connections and a power adapter,
but none of the extern HardDrive work here either its the same for the
printer.

Wat's wrong? Why can't I use my USB hubb? Or the PCI Express USB card?

Sven Molin

Re: USB
I thought I could try once more time.
And the screen went blue. My Windows Vista Ultimate x64 couldn't find any
solution.
What can I do to fix so I can use more then 4 USB connections?

"Sven Molin" <sven.molin@bredband.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Can anyone please help me.
>
> I have four USB ports in the back of my computer.
> They are all used up.
>
> 1: Extern USB HardDive
> 2: Extern USB HardDrive
> 3: Printer Canon ip4500
> 4: USB conectedion for mouse and keyboard.
>
> And I bought a PCI Express card with 4+1 USB ports inserted in my
> computer. Its connected to 12v power.
> But none of the HardDrives or the printer works in this USB ports.
> So that card was a waste of money.
> The only thing that work is a small lamp connected on that cards USB
> ports.
>
> And I have tryed use a USB Hub with 7 connections and a power adapter,
> but none of the extern HardDrive work here either its the same for the
> printer.
>
> Wat's wrong? Why can't I use my USB hubb? Or the PCI Express USB card?

alexB

Re: USB
I wish I could help you but I have a similar problem. What I've ended up
doing was to order a brand new computer an hour ago from DELL because I just
kept losing data. I cannot connect anything thru my USB ports except a mouse
and a single external hard drive. Also a mike works too. I have 2 other
identical systems, and I mean they are identical in all respects and none
has this idiotic problems. DELL changed the motherboard on this machine
twice and nothing helped. Once I spent 4 hours on the phone with techs
troubleshooting it. Nothing worked. They read all possible manuals. It is a
mystery. I still want to keep this machine going. I want to replace the USB
Controller or whatever hardware controls this darn thing. I will call DELL
with it on Monday because my warrantee is at the end and I do not want to
renew it.

You may console yourselves that you are not alone. Many, and I mean it, many
other people whimper the same tune. I mean they may have somewhat different
problems but it is all around USB ports.

"Sven Molin" <sven.molin@bredband.net> wrote in message
>I thought I could try once more time.
> And the screen went blue. My Windows Vista Ultimate x64 couldn't find any
> solution.
> What can I do to fix so I can use more then 4 USB connections?
>
> "Sven Molin" <sven.molin@bredband.net> skrev i meddelandet
>> Can anyone please help me.
>>
>> I have four USB ports in the back of my computer.
>> They are all used up.
>>
>> 1: Extern USB HardDive
>> 2: Extern USB HardDrive
>> 3: Printer Canon ip4500
>> 4: USB conectedion for mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> And I bought a PCI Express card with 4+1 USB ports inserted in my
>> computer. Its connected to 12v power.
>> But none of the HardDrives or the printer works in this USB ports.
>> So that card was a waste of money.
>> The only thing that work is a small lamp connected on that cards USB
>> ports.
>>
>> And I have tryed use a USB Hub with 7 connections and a power adapter,
>> but none of the extern HardDrive work here either its the same for the
>> printer.
>>
>> Wat's wrong? Why can't I use my USB hubb? Or the PCI Express USB card?

Tom Lake

Re: USB

"Sven Molin" <sven.molin@bredband.net> wrote in message

> Can anyone please help me.

> And I have tryed use a USB Hub with 7 connections and a power adapter,
> but none of the extern HardDrive work here either its the same for the
> printer.
>
> Wat's wrong? Why can't I use my USB hubb? Or the PCI Express USB card?

Vista has some issues with USB ports and hubs. Some fixes are here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600/en-us

Tom Lake

alexB

Re: USB
Another idea:

In Install/Uninstall Windows Components there is an option "Manage Removable
Storage Devices." I just found it and checked it. It was unchecked. I do not
know if it is going to help or not, will find out tomorrow.

"Sven Molin" <sven.molin@bredband.net> wrote in message
>I thought I could try once more time.
> And the screen went blue. My Windows Vista Ultimate x64 couldn't find any
> solution.
> What can I do to fix so I can use more then 4 USB connections?
>
> "Sven Molin" <sven.molin@bredband.net> skrev i meddelandet
>> Can anyone please help me.
>>
>> I have four USB ports in the back of my computer.
>> They are all used up.
>>
>> 1: Extern USB HardDive
>> 2: Extern USB HardDrive
>> 3: Printer Canon ip4500
>> 4: USB conectedion for mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> And I bought a PCI Express card with 4+1 USB ports inserted in my
>> computer. Its connected to 12v power.
>> But none of the HardDrives or the printer works in this USB ports.
>> So that card was a waste of money.
>> The only thing that work is a small lamp connected on that cards USB
>> ports.
>>
>> And I have tryed use a USB Hub with 7 connections and a power adapter,
>> but none of the extern HardDrive work here either its the same for the
>> printer.
>>
>> Wat's wrong? Why can't I use my USB hubb? Or the PCI Express USB card?

RalfG

Re: USB
I've currently got 10 USB devices plugged in, all working though not all
being used at once (Vista Home Premium). Similar 4 USB ports on the rear of
the PC plus two usually vacant ports on the front. There's also a built in
memory card reader which connects internally to one of the onboard USB hubs.
If all the USB devices were running at the same time there would be 12 USB
devices operating, but half of the devices are only turned on as needed

All the on-board USB ports have dual USB1.1/USB2 functionality. I installed
2 external ,non-powered, 4 port USB hubs to accommodate all of my USB
devices. One hub is USB 1.1 for the low bandwidth, low power devices like
mouse, UPS, RF receivers. The other hub is USB2 for high speed, low power
devices like scanners. Devices that are high-power or high-bandwidth or
both, like external USB harddrive or WLAN adapter, go directly into the
ports on the PC.

A USB 1.1 hub would be inadequate for you but a powered multi-port USB2 hub
should work. A condition is that none of the devices should consume too much
of the available bandwidth of the hub, which would only be equal to the
single port that you plugged the hub into. For instance a WLAN adapter could
consume a full 500mw power plus a large chunk of the available bandwidth of
the hub and each harddrive could consume the full data bandwidth of the hub
on its own. If there are too many USB powered devices on the hub (some
scanners, USB powered hard drives, webcam, wlan adapter etc. ) they could
conceivably pull down the available power to the point where none of them
are functional. Its a question of balance. Printer, mouse, keyboard and
maybe one externally powered harddrive could work together on the same hub.
Intermittently used devices (i.e.. digital cameras) could also probably be
plugged in without causing problems. An externally powered scanner might
also work but it would impede the data transfer performance of a harddrive
when the scanner was operating.

You didn't mention if you'd installed Vista compatible drivers for that add
in USB card. The card wouldn't be functional until after the drivers for it
loaded in Windows. Does the card and its USB ports show up in Device
Manager?