WinImage in Vista

alexB

WinImage in Vista
I've got some good guidance in this forum and I am grateful to people who
assisted me in solving my problems. I especially indebted to Andre Da Costa.
Let me explain my problem anew since it is still ridiculously unresolved.

I need to open/unzip/make workable software stored in ISO images. I tried
DAEMON and that turned out to be malware. I finally rolled the system back
and got rid of it. then I tried MagicDisk which turned out to be even more
malicious malware. Could you believe my bad luck? I got rid of this beast as
well. Another rollback.

BTW, I've got Vista Ultimate. Now I downloaded WinImage. I kind of liked
their ad, their website, etc. It does not seem to be malicious. It is French
made.I do not know if this is a recommendation or not but this is the fact.
The demo does not seem to do much and I decided to explore further. I
downloaded "freeware" from the same guy, Gilles, it is called extract.exe
and tried to extract one of my images in Command Prompt. It gave me an
immediate error:"This is not a disk file." Whoops!

Then I decided to purchase it. Went to their website and navigated myself to
the place where I could drop my hard earned greenbacks in and there is no
mentioning of Vista at all ANYWHERE!

I need some advice what I should purchase.

I wanted to buy WinImage Professional for $60.00. because aside from using
it for installations I want to do imaging of my entire system.

They do have a forum but it is moribund. People post there twice or trice a
month. I posted a couple of questions there anyway.

Thanks.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Re: WinImage in Vista
"alexB" <alexb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> BTW, I've got Vista Ultimate. Now I downloaded WinImage.

> I wanted to buy WinImage Professional for $60.00. because aside from using
> it for installations I want to do imaging of my entire system.

Alex, I've been very happy with using WinImage for making ISO images of CDs,
VFD images of floppy disks, and other utility purposes. I primarily use
WinImage on Windows XP. I've not yet had occasion for creating an ISO image
of a CD on my Vista system, but if I did, I'd install WinImage as my first
choice.

However, on Vista, for reading ISO images as a "Mounted CD", I started using
Virtual Clonedrive when I discovered that the MS VirtualCD software wouldn't
run on Vista.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

I have no complaints with Virtual Clonedrive, and I especially like the way
it plug into/integrates with the shell -- all I have to do to mount an ISO
is double click on the ISO, and the image is mounted.

I still use MS VirtualCD on my XP systems, but I've considered converting
them to Virtual Clonedrive.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

alexB

Re: WinImage in Vista
Thank you very much Lawrence, it is very valuable for me.