Multiple Processors (NOT cores) and Vista

sam

Multiple Processors (NOT cores) and Vista
Can anyone please tell me how many maxium physical processors Vista
Ultimate/Business can handle? Please note that I am not asking how many
*cores*.

Everyone is happy to say that Vista can handle multiple *cores*, but no
one can say for certain how many processors--I'd like to build a system
with 4-8 physical processors and would like to use Vista in some flavor.

I know that XP Pro can only handle 2 procs maximum and that you must use
XP Server for more than 2 procs, but cannot assume that to be true for
Vista.
Dominic Payer

Re: Multiple Processors (NOT cores) and Vista
See "Processor and memory support" at
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...ions_final.asp

Business, Enterprise and Ultimate can support 2 physical cpus, other
versions only 1. There is no limit on the number of cores in any edition. If
2 cpus are used they should be identical.

"sam" <spammenot@gtnincs.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone please tell me how many maxium physical processors Vista
> Ultimate/Business can handle? Please note that I am not asking how many
> *cores*.
>
> Everyone is happy to say that Vista can handle multiple *cores*, but no
> one can say for certain how many processors--I'd like to build a system
> with 4-8 physical processors and would like to use Vista in some flavor.
>
> I know that XP Pro can only handle 2 procs maximum and that you must use
> XP Server for more than 2 procs, but cannot assume that to be true for
> Vista.

sam

Dominic Payer wrote:
://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions_final.asp

> Business, Enterprise and Ultimate can support 2 physical cpus, other
> versions only 1. There is no limit on the number of cores in any
> edition. If 2 cpus are used they should be identical.

So Dominic, does this mean that there is currently no version of Vista
that can handle a 4-processor system? Or is there a double-secret
version of Vista I'm overlooking.....?
Dominic Payer

Re: Multiple Processors (NOT cores) and Vista
If you want more physical processors you need one of the Windows Server
OSes. This might not have drivers for all your peripherals.

Vista is a consumer or user OS. There is no version that will support more
than 2 physical cpus.