HP Quicklook vista sideshow

Steven Wabik

HP Quicklook vista sideshow
i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP tablet
pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get my
tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i could get
this feature.

from,
Steven Wabik

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
>> tc4400 does not <<

some details would help... what's not supported... can't get it, won't
install, won't run, handwriting not supported, etc, etc?

Your best bet on this is probably going to be hp since it is an hp
product and you are trying to get it going on a new hp after using it on
an older hp.

Historically, hp has tied software and hardware to specific machines to
prevent redistribution... if this is the case, not likely to have a
solution.

>> xposting <<

pick a forum... any forum... ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Rick Rogers

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can simply
alter in the installed software or operating system that will change that.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
>http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
>well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
>tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get
>my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i could
>get this feature.
>
> from,
> Steven Wabik

Steven Wabik

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my tc4400
to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or something to get
the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the installation i get an issue
saying that my pc does not support vista sideshow or that i do not have
vista installed....

> You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can simply
> alter in the installed software or operating system that will change that.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
>>http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
>>well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
>>tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to
>>get my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i
>>could get this feature.
>>
>> from,
>> Steven Wabik

Sven

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
Vista Sideshow and HP Quicklook are two different things. Quicklook appears
to be a proprietary software/hardware add-on that lets you pull up some PIM
info on the screen, likely from some flash RAM area, without bringing the
unit out of hibernation or standby. Sideshow is an included feature of Vista
that will support additional, or external displays. Not a second monitor,
but rather more like the outside display on a cell phone. I haven't seen too
many manufacturers supporting this yet. Here is one announcement
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/15/l...-out-in-korea/

Sideshow really expects a secondary low power display. Quicklook seems to
be a feature more like some of the current laptops that support playing CDs
or DVDs without booting into the OS, though Quicklook seems to offer PIM
functions rather than entertainment. I don't think you are going to get it
with bios or software alone. Seems like it would require specific hardware,
that if it was included, you would have the feature enabled.

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
> on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my
> tc4400 to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or
> something to get the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the
> installation i get an issue saying that my pc does not support vista
> sideshow or that i do not have vista installed....

>> You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can simply
>> alter in the installed software or operating system that will change
>> that.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
>>>http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
>>>well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
>>>tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to
>>>get my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i
>>>could get this feature.
>>>
>>> from,
>>> Steven Wabik

Steven Wabik

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
quickplay was for playing DVDs without starting windows. but quickplay
changed so much that windows needs to be started before quickplay can be
accessed in most notebooks.

quicklook is apart of sideshow. it just uses the same display. it just lets
you view email contacts, notes, memoes, and stuff like that, without loading
windows. you can start quicklook while the notebook is off, in sleep,
hybernate, or in standbye.

i think i may be able to modify the bios and whatnot in my pc to support hp
quickstart because in the installation i got an error about vista sideshow.
i have had experienes in this stuff before. and if i mess up the bios, i can
always restore it to its original.

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Vista Sideshow and HP Quicklook are two different things. Quicklook
> appears to be a proprietary software/hardware add-on that lets you pull up
> some PIM info on the screen, likely from some flash RAM area, without
> bringing the unit out of hibernation or standby. Sideshow is an included
> feature of Vista that will support additional, or external displays. Not a
> second monitor, but rather more like the outside display on a cell phone.
> I haven't seen too many manufacturers supporting this yet. Here is one
> announcement
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/15/l...-out-in-korea/
>
> Sideshow really expects a secondary low power display. Quicklook seems to
> be a feature more like some of the current laptops that support playing
> CDs or DVDs without booting into the OS, though Quicklook seems to offer
> PIM functions rather than entertainment. I don't think you are going to
> get it with bios or software alone. Seems like it would require specific
> hardware, that if it was included, you would have the feature enabled.
>

> --
> Sven
> MS MVP Mobile Devices
> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my
>> tc4400 to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or
>> something to get the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the
>> installation i get an issue saying that my pc does not support vista
>> sideshow or that i do not have vista installed....
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can
>>> simply alter in the installed software or operating system that will
>>> change that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Chinatiger

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
Maybe you can ask for help to HP service.

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> дϢ
> i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
> http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
> well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
> tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to
> get my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i
> could get this feature.
>
> from,
> Steven Wabik

Josh Einstein

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
For what it's worth, there is a feature described in the Vista product guide
called "Hot Start" that seems to be related to how this works. Hot start is
described as a technology that lets you boot into software without incurring
the time it takes to boot the entire OS. It may or may not be tied into the
sideshow technology since in theory, sideshow could eventually support
periodically "polling" data sources on the computer for things like new
email without doing a full boot. That's pretty much how they pitched the
technology for LCD's on the outside of laptops but in this case, Quicklook
would be the sideshow display. Either way I'd just rather check my WM phone.

--
Josh Einstein (Tablet PC MVP)
Einstein Technologies

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Vista Sideshow and HP Quicklook are two different things. Quicklook
> appears to be a proprietary software/hardware add-on that lets you pull up
> some PIM info on the screen, likely from some flash RAM area, without
> bringing the unit out of hibernation or standby. Sideshow is an included
> feature of Vista that will support additional, or external displays. Not a
> second monitor, but rather more like the outside display on a cell phone.
> I haven't seen too many manufacturers supporting this yet. Here is one
> announcement
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/15/l...-out-in-korea/
>
> Sideshow really expects a secondary low power display. Quicklook seems to
> be a feature more like some of the current laptops that support playing
> CDs or DVDs without booting into the OS, though Quicklook seems to offer
> PIM functions rather than entertainment. I don't think you are going to
> get it with bios or software alone. Seems like it would require specific
> hardware, that if it was included, you would have the feature enabled.
>

> --
> Sven
> MS MVP Mobile Devices
> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my
>> tc4400 to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or
>> something to get the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the
>> installation i get an issue saying that my pc does not support vista
>> sideshow or that i do not have vista installed....
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can
>>> simply alter in the installed software or operating system that will
>>> change that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Sven

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
Lord help him if that is his last resort. I have a ticket open with HP
support for manager software for their new GPS. When I bought it support
barely new it existed, and the dedicated site was 'coming soon'. The site
has been up for a week now and the software has been available on it. HP
support has yet to figure that out, provide me the info, and close the
support ticket.

I have always found HP support to be very friendly and sincere, and if the
solution was to replace the device, very accommodating and efficient. If it
was a technical issue however, you are better off here. (Not that tech
support anywhere else is much better)

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices