Re: trouble with new ram

ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: trouble with new ram

On 21-Oct-2007, "Computer & Sound System Tech" <jonperreault@verizon.net>
wrote:

> i bought ram last month i believe, and for some reason i'm getting the
> blue
> screen of death sometimes not always. and today was even worse the
> computer
> would always give me the blue screen of death, and i waited few hours and
> turned it on and now it's fine. but i'm tired of the blue screen
> especially the ram is fine, i will try the ram tester,

If you have a floppy drive then run a DOS based memory tester,
Doc Memory Ram Diagnostic V2.2 comes to mind, from
http://www.simtester.com/
I've never trusted MS$ diagnostics to diagnose anything.
IDocMemory does a range of different walk tests to pick up obscure
faults like crosstalk between address lines, and can be
set to run a large number of cycles as a soak test.
I had boot blue screens until I killed most processes
prior to shutdown with Process Killer.
If shutdown leaves a corrupted file you may get
continuous BSOD's until you run Check Disk in Fix
Errors mode.
Once it finds and repairs crosslinked files, sorts
out orphened fragments, and the file tables, it'll
come good for a sort while.
Could be you have a hardware device like a USB
wireless stick, the drivers for which misbehave
and screw things up.
Alan T

Re: trouble with new ram
How long the test should be taking?
3 hours, 5 hours or 8 hours?

<ato_zee@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 21-Oct-2007, "Computer & Sound System Tech" <jonperreault@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> > i bought ram last month i believe, and for some reason i'm getting the
> > blue
> > screen of death sometimes not always. and today was even worse the
> > computer
> > would always give me the blue screen of death, and i waited few hours

and
> > turned it on and now it's fine. but i'm tired of the blue screen
> > especially the ram is fine, i will try the ram tester,

> If you have a floppy drive then run a DOS based memory tester,
> Doc Memory Ram Diagnostic V2.2 comes to mind, from
> http://www.simtester.com/
> I've never trusted MS$ diagnostics to diagnose anything.
> IDocMemory does a range of different walk tests to pick up obscure
> faults like crosstalk between address lines, and can be
> set to run a large number of cycles as a soak test.
> I had boot blue screens until I killed most processes
> prior to shutdown with Process Killer.
> If shutdown leaves a corrupted file you may get
> continuous BSOD's until you run Check Disk in Fix
> Errors mode.
> Once it finds and repairs crosslinked files, sorts
> out orphened fragments, and the file tables, it'll
> come good for a sort while.
> Could be you have a hardware device like a USB
> wireless stick, the drivers for which misbehave
> and screw things up.

Dustin Harper

Re: trouble with new ram
Usually a good RAM tester should take less than 2 hours. That's a real
thorough test, too.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Alan T wrote:
> How long the test should be taking?
> 3 hours, 5 hours or 8 hours?
>
> <ato_zee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 21-Oct-2007, "Computer & Sound System Tech" <jonperreault@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> i bought ram last month i believe, and for some reason i'm getting the
>>> blue
>>> screen of death sometimes not always. and today was even worse the
>>> computer
>>> would always give me the blue screen of death, and i waited few hours

> and
>>> turned it on and now it's fine. but i'm tired of the blue screen
>>> especially the ram is fine, i will try the ram tester,

>> If you have a floppy drive then run a DOS based memory tester,
>> Doc Memory Ram Diagnostic V2.2 comes to mind, from
>> http://www.simtester.com/
>> I've never trusted MS$ diagnostics to diagnose anything.
>> IDocMemory does a range of different walk tests to pick up obscure
>> faults like crosstalk between address lines, and can be
>> set to run a large number of cycles as a soak test.
>> I had boot blue screens until I killed most processes
>> prior to shutdown with Process Killer.
>> If shutdown leaves a corrupted file you may get
>> continuous BSOD's until you run Check Disk in Fix
>> Errors mode.
>> Once it finds and repairs crosslinked files, sorts
>> out orphened fragments, and the file tables, it'll
>> come good for a sort while.
>> Could be you have a hardware device like a USB
>> wireless stick, the drivers for which misbehave
>> and screw things up.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: trouble with new ram

On 12-Nov-2007, "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> How long the test should be taking?
> 3 hours, 5 hours or 8 hours?
>
> <ato_zee@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If you can run Doc Memory or alternative RAM tester
for an hour with no errors I would assume the RAM is
not the cause of BSOD and look elsewhere for
the source of the problem.
If the memory test runs ok for an hour with no
problems it would be reasonable to assume that
the processor is also ok. This is not a 100%
proof as during memory testing the processor
probably isn't running at its full rating, but as
your BSOD is a boot time, the processor is unlikely
to have reached its maximum full load temp.
I'd look to attached hardware, USB devices, and
remove any non-essential devices.
> > > i bought ram last month i believe, and for some
> > > reason i'm getting the
> > > blue screen of death sometimes not always.

Do you still get the BSOD with just the original RAM?
Some motherboards don't like some makes of RAM.
Size of the individual memory chips and their
organisation.
My motherboard manual specifies certain
restrictions for compatible RAM.
Like 'this motherboard does not support memory
modules made up of 128 Mb chips or double
sided x16 memory modules.'