CD drive does not recognize cd

artstar

CD drive does not recognize cd
I currently have windows vista home premium. When I put in cd's that
I've purchased, the drive does not recognize that there is a CD in the
drive.
But I tried a CD that I've burned, it work perfectly. If you have any
advice please help!!!

Terence Liu [MSFT]

RE: CD drive does not recognize cd
Hello Customer,

Thank you for posting here.

From the post, I understand you cannot read some CDs from your Vista drive.

This is most a hardware issue: the drive issue or the disk issue. I suggest
you contact your hardware vendor for further assistance.

We can narrow down this issue by the following tests:

1. Read the disks from another computer disk drive.

2. Read some other disks on this Vista disk drive.

If the disk cannot be read from other computer disk drive, and the Vista
disk drive can read other disks, this will be a disk issue. Please contact
your disk vendor.

If the disk can be read from other computer disk drive, and the vista disk
drive cannot read other disks, this will be a drive issue. Please contact
your disk drive vendor.

If the disk can be read from other computer disk drive, and the vista disk
drive can read other disks, this will be a drive and disk compatibility
issue. Please contact your disk drive vendor.

I hope the information above is helpful.

Thanks for your understanding and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

issue.

--------------------
| From: artstar <artstarny@gmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
| Subject: CD drive does not recognize cd
| Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:14:07 -0700
|
| I currently have windows vista home premium. When I put in cd's that
| I've purchased, the drive does not recognize that there is a CD in the
| drive.
| But I tried a CD that I've burned, it work perfectly. If you have any
| advice please help!!!

Axel Göller

"artstar" wrote:

>I currently have windows vista home premium. When I put in cd's that
> I've purchased, the drive does not recognize that there is a CD in the
> drive.
> But I tried a CD that I've burned, it work perfectly. If you have any
> advice please help!!!

2 things (may be, too simple):

a) wipe the critical CD with a soft, dry cloth and try again.
b) do you detect the CD in the explorer? I mean, is it autorun which does
not work?

Axel

RTreat

RE: CD drive does not recognize cd
I too am having this problem and can confirm that it is not a hardware issue,
I have tried 3 different cd/dvd/rw drives in my computer. AFTER this issue
began, I decided to try the 3rd party, open source software "infrarecorder".
This software can burn to a blank CD in the drive when Vista will not
recognize a disk has been inserted. I am running Vista Ultimate.

I've tried deleting the device and reinstalling from scratch with no effect.

"artstar" wrote:

> I currently have windows vista home premium. When I put in cd's that
> I've purchased, the drive does not recognize that there is a CD in the
> drive.
> But I tried a CD that I've burned, it work perfectly. If you have any
> advice please help!!!

deniso36

"RTreat" wrote:

> I too am having this problem and can confirm that it is not a hardware issue,
> I have tried 3 different cd/dvd/rw drives in my computer. AFTER this issue
> began, I decided to try the 3rd party, open source software "infrarecorder".
> This software can burn to a blank CD in the drive when Vista will not
> recognize a disk has been inserted. I am running Vista Ultimate.
>
> I've tried deleting the device and reinstalling from scratch with no effect.
>
> "artstar" wrote:
>
> > I currently have windows vista home premium. When I put in cd's that
> > I've purchased, the drive does not recognize that there is a CD in the
> > drive.
> > But I tried a CD that I've burned, it work perfectly. If you have any
> > advice please help!!!

deniso36

"RTreat" wrote:

> I too am having this problem and can confirm that it is not a hardware issue,
> I have tried 3 different cd/dvd/rw drives in my computer. AFTER this issue
> began, I decided to try the 3rd party, open source software "infrarecorder".
> This software can burn to a blank CD in the drive when Vista will not
> recognize a disk has been inserted. I am running Vista Ultimate.
>
> I've tried deleting the device and reinstalling from scratch with no effect.
>
> "artstar" wrote:
>
> > I currently have windows vista home premium. When I put in cd's that
> > I've purchased, the drive does not recognize that there is a CD in the
> > drive.
> > But I tried a CD that I've burned, it work perfectly. If you have any
> > advice please help!!!
> >
> > The reason you Can't read them is that they are DVD'S not CD's!!!

deniso36

RE: CD drive does not recognize cd
The Reason you Can't read them is that VISTA is on DVD'S, NOT CD's

"deniso36" wrote:

> "RTreat" wrote:
>
> > I too am having this problem and can confirm that it is not a hardware issue,
> > I have tried 3 different cd/dvd/rw drives in my computer. AFTER this issue
> > began, I decided to try the 3rd party, open source software "infrarecorder".
> > This software can burn to a blank CD in the drive when Vista will not
> > recognize a disk has been inserted. I am running Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > I've tried deleting the device and reinstalling from scratch with no effect.
> >
> > "artstar" wrote:
> >
> > > I currently have windows vista home premium. When I put in cd's that
> > > I've purchased, the drive does not recognize that there is a CD in the
> > > drive.
> > > But I tried a CD that I've burned, it work perfectly. If you have any
> > > advice please help!!!

camurphy

RE: CD drive does not recognize cd
I am having this same issue. I am dual booting Windows XP Professional SP2
and Windows Vista Ultimate. If I put any burnt CD or DVD in Vista assumes
they are blank, however if I boot to XP I can read them fine. This is the
case with both my internal drive and an external Sony firewire DVD burner.
MrViggy

RE: CD drive does not recognize cd
Ditto. Actually, I wasn't dual booting, but was running Linux on VMWare in
Vista. Vista would say the CD was blank, yet when I launched Linux (still
running on Vista, mind you), Linux could read the CD perfectly.

Has this issue been resolved? I downgraded my laptop to WindowsXP because
of this issue.

"camurphy" wrote:

> I am having this same issue. I am dual booting Windows XP Professional SP2
> and Windows Vista Ultimate. If I put any burnt CD or DVD in Vista assumes
> they are blank, however if I boot to XP I can read them fine. This is the
> case with both my internal drive and an external Sony firewire DVD burner.

camurphy

RE: CD drive does not recognize cd
Yeah I've been running an XP virtual machine on VMWare and mapping my CD
drive to it to get files off burnt CDs and DVDs. Inconvenient.