ADD FILE EXTENSION

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

BIG BOY

ADD FILE EXTENSION
IN VISTA DEFAULT PROGRAM setup ...How do I add a file extension that is not
listed and a default program to use that file,

example: I have a FLV player but I do not see FLV listed to associate FLV
with a specific program

dean-dean

Re: ADD FILE EXTENSION
Double-click on a .flv file, and use Open With to (1) give the a name for
the file type, say "Flash Video File" (no quotes), then, (2) browse to the
program you want to open it.

"BIG BOY" <lmiller145@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> IN VISTA DEFAULT PROGRAM setup ...How do I add a file extension that is
> not listed and a default program to use that file,
>
> example: I have a FLV player but I do not see FLV listed to associate FLV
> with a specific program

dean-dean

Re: ADD FILE EXTENSION
To clarify, when you double-click on a .flv file, you will see a dialog.
Choose "Select a program from a list of installed programs". Then you will
see "Type a description that you want to use for this kind of file". Type
"Flash Video File" (no quotes), and then click on Browse, and browse to the
folder that contains the *.exe file for the program. Double-click on
"Program".exe.

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Double-click on a .flv file, and use Open With to (1) give the a name for
> the file type, say "Flash Video File" (no quotes), then, (2) browse to the
> program you want to open it.
>

> "BIG BOY" <lmiller145@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> IN VISTA DEFAULT PROGRAM setup ...How do I add a file extension that is
>> not listed and a default program to use that file,
>>
>> example: I have a FLV player but I do not see FLV listed to associate FLV
>> with a specific program

james brown

Re: ADD FILE EXTENSION
d-d,
I have vista, and got a gvp file in an e-mail. Vista/GVP doesnt exist, but
it may be possible to play as an AVI. My default AVI player is windows media
center, but I dont know how to instruct GVP file to open AVI player-
suggestions?
thx Jamie B