set associations doesn't work

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

John

set associations doesn't work
Trying to reset the association of .flac files. I use browse to get to
mediaplayer but when I click "open" it just goes to adobe which is first
on the list of possiblities given. Dinging around I've discovered i
can't change anything using the browse button.

john
zachd [MSFT]

Re: set associations doesn't work

Which FLAC filter did you install? They should do this registration or
extend Media Player's registration to help make this happen. There's public
documentation on this on MSDN they should be able to use to make this
happen. If that confuses them, I'm willing to work with them to help make
it so that everyone benefits here.

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.
"John" <John6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to reset the association of .flac files. I use browse to get to
> mediaplayer but when I click "open" it just goes to adobe which is first
> on the list of possiblities given. Dinging around I've discovered i can't
> change anything using the browse button.
>
> john

Sascha B. Jazbec

Re: set associations doesn't work
Sorry I use a german Vista, but this is the way to go :

Try Startmenue / Control Panel --> " Standard programs" ( or "Default
programs" )

There you can re-associate filetypes with applications, works systemwide.

SBJ

"John" <John6528@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Trying to reset the association of .flac files. I use browse to get to
> mediaplayer but when I click "open" it just goes to adobe which is first
> on the list of possiblities given. Dinging around I've discovered i can't
> change anything using the browse button.
>
> john

zachd [MSFT]

Re: set associations doesn't work

Right, but that (Default Programs) is meant to be a holistic solution. If
the FLAC filter author didn't register themselves within WMP's association
arena, that'd kind of be a half-baked solution. If the FLAC filter author
would register themselves properly, we'd all be happier. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Sascha B. Jazbec" <sbj77REMOVE@THISgmx.de> wrote in message
> Sorry I use a german Vista, but this is the way to go :
>
> Try Startmenue / Control Panel --> " Standard programs" ( or "Default
> programs" )
>
> There you can re-associate filetypes with applications, works systemwide.
>
> SBJ
>

> "John" <John6528@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Trying to reset the association of .flac files. I use browse to get to
>> mediaplayer but when I click "open" it just goes to adobe which is first
>> on the list of possiblities given. Dinging around I've discovered i can't
>> change anything using the browse button.
>>
>> john

Adam Albright

Re: set associations doesn't work
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:02:09 -0700, "zachd [MSFT]"
<zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Right, but that (Default Programs) is meant to be a holistic solution. If
>the FLAC filter author didn't register themselves within WMP's association
>arena, that'd kind of be a half-baked solution. If the FLAC filter author
>would register themselves properly, we'd all be happier. =)

I'd be happy if Vista was smart enough to see codecs one of it's
applets does, but another may not. You keep dodging the issue how it
is that Media Player can play certain video files that Movie Maker
won't open.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: set associations doesn't work

WMP is Media Foundation based, Movie Maker is DirectShow based.

If you really want a full answer there, I'd really love a sample piece of
content that shows this problem. I think I've been begging pretty hard for
that data. Can you reproduce that failure? That would indicate that you
too have affected sample content that you could share.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:02:09 -0700, "zachd [MSFT]"
> <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>Right, but that (Default Programs) is meant to be a holistic solution. If
>>the FLAC filter author didn't register themselves within WMP's association
>>arena, that'd kind of be a half-baked solution. If the FLAC filter author
>>would register themselves properly, we'd all be happier. =)

> I'd be happy if Vista was smart enough to see codecs one of it's
> applets does, but another may not. You keep dodging the issue how it
> is that Media Player can play certain video files that Movie Maker
> won't open.

Adam Albright

Re: set associations doesn't work
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:41:53 -0700, "zachd [MSFT]"
<zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>WMP is Media Foundation based, Movie Maker is DirectShow based.
>
>If you really want a full answer there, I'd really love a sample piece of
>content that shows this problem. I think I've been begging pretty hard for
>that data. Can you reproduce that failure? That would indicate that you
>too have affected sample content that you could share.

The last time we had this discussion you told me you were bored. I
don't save files for you Zach in the hope weeks later you may reply. I
simply fix the problem and move on. As far as this being a problem,
like I said last time it is easy enough to duplicate if you sample a
few vids from assorted newsgroups you are bound to run into a few that
exhibit this problem.

John

Re: set associations doesn't work
The flac filter works fine. I have 5 music playing programs and they all
work with it. I was trying to switch the association. How do you do that?

John

zachd [MSFT] wrote:
> Right, but that (Default Programs) is meant to be a holistic solution. If
> the FLAC filter author didn't register themselves within WMP's association
> arena, that'd kind of be a half-baked solution. If the FLAC filter author
> would register themselves properly, we'd all be happier. =)

John

Re: set associations doesn't work
It worked fine. I want to switch the assosiation from CoolEdit to
MediaPlayer. Appaerently there is now way to do this in Vista. I even
looked in the registry but it's different there too.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word. I mean that when i click on a flac file
I want Media Player to open it.

John

zachd [MSFT] wrote:

> Which FLAC filter did you install? They should do this registration or
> extend Media Player's registration to help make this happen. There's public
> documentation on this on MSDN they should be able to use to make this
> happen. If that confuses them, I'm willing to work with them to help make
> it so that everyone benefits here.
>
> -Zach

zachd [MSFT]

Re: set associations doesn't work

There's a really easy way to do this provided they register themselves as
extending Windows Media Player in this fashion. They haven't done that. I
can cobble together that registration, but I'd like to know what FLAC filter
provider could use that information so that we fix this problem at the
source rather than just have a one-off fix that only fixes one person.

So: what exact FLAC filter are you using here? =)

Thanks!
-Zach