Can't open, rename, delete, or move a file....

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Paul MacFarlane

Can't open, rename, delete, or move a file....
I received a file (we'll call it Mydata.cp) within a ZIP file. The ZIP file
and data file were created on an XPP machine.

The CP is an Adobe Captivate file. (212mb)

If I run Captivate, I can't open the file. If I run Captivate as
Administrator, I can open the file.

If I run windows explorer as Administrator (and maybe I'm not doing this
right), I cannot rename or move the file.

If I run command prompr as Administator, I can't delete or rename either.

If I right click the file, and select properties, nothing ever shows.

I've looked at the properties of the ZIP file and "unblocked" it.

Any idea what is going on? what I've done wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

Rosenkrieger

RE: Can't open, rename, delete, or move a file....
I have EXACTLY the same Problem - with a .MOV File -

I cannot freakin' delete it - its sitting right on my desktop. I have tried
everything as well - no solution yet. I don't want to re-install the whole
freakin' Vista just because of ONE SINGLE File that I am unable to delete!

"Paul MacFarlane" wrote:

> I received a file (we'll call it Mydata.cp) within a ZIP file. The ZIP file
> and data file were created on an XPP machine.
>
> The CP is an Adobe Captivate file. (212mb)
>
> If I run Captivate, I can't open the file. If I run Captivate as
> Administrator, I can open the file.
>
> If I run windows explorer as Administrator (and maybe I'm not doing this
> right), I cannot rename or move the file.
>
> If I run command prompr as Administator, I can't delete or rename either.
>
> If I right click the file, and select properties, nothing ever shows.
>
> I've looked at the properties of the ZIP file and "unblocked" it.
>
> Any idea what is going on? what I've done wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

dean-dean

Re: Can't open, rename, delete, or move a file....
Try this. Right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

For example, type:
takeown /f C:\Users\You\Desktop\unwanted.mov

Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
administrators full access to the file:

icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type:
icacls C:\Users\You\Desktop\unwanted.mov /grant administrators:F

Then try to delete unwanted.mov.

If you've already done the security thing, then have you tried deleting it
in Safe Mode (without networking)?. This might take any service or
application holding onto the file out of the equation, including the Volume
Shadow Copy Service.

"Rosenkrieger" <Rosenkrieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have EXACTLY the same Problem - with a .MOV File -
>
> I cannot freakin' delete it - its sitting right on my desktop. I have
> tried
> everything as well - no solution yet. I don't want to re-install the whole
> freakin' Vista just because of ONE SINGLE File that I am unable to delete!
>
> "Paul MacFarlane" wrote:
>
>> I received a file (we'll call it Mydata.cp) within a ZIP file. The ZIP
>> file
>> and data file were created on an XPP machine.
>>
>> The CP is an Adobe Captivate file. (212mb)
>>
>> If I run Captivate, I can't open the file. If I run Captivate as
>> Administrator, I can open the file.
>>
>> If I run windows explorer as Administrator (and maybe I'm not doing this
>> right), I cannot rename or move the file.
>>
>> If I run command prompr as Administator, I can't delete or rename either.
>>
>> If I right click the file, and select properties, nothing ever shows.
>>
>> I've looked at the properties of the ZIP file and "unblocked" it.
>>
>> Any idea what is going on? what I've done wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul

Rosenkrieger

Re: Can't open, rename, delete, or move a file....
Hi,

tried just about everything, including with takeown & icacls commands.

My solution:

I used ERD Commander to boot the laptop, deleted the file and was "happy"

Its really hard to believe that I had to use a program from 2005 to delete a
file on my super expensive Vista Ultimate Laptop :-/ - but at least now its
gone/done.

Greets

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Try this. Right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator.
> Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
>
> takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
>
> For example, type:
> takeown /f C:\Users\You\Desktop\unwanted.mov
>
> Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
> administrators full access to the file:
>
> icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
>
> For example, type:
> icacls C:\Users\You\Desktop\unwanted.mov /grant administrators:F
>
> Then try to delete unwanted.mov.
>
> If you've already done the security thing, then have you tried deleting it
> in Safe Mode (without networking)?. This might take any service or
> application holding onto the file out of the equation, including the Volume
> Shadow Copy Service.
>
> "Rosenkrieger" <Rosenkrieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have EXACTLY the same Problem - with a .MOV File -
> >
> > I cannot freakin' delete it - its sitting right on my desktop. I have
> > tried
> > everything as well - no solution yet. I don't want to re-install the whole
> > freakin' Vista just because of ONE SINGLE File that I am unable to delete!

dean-dean

Re: Can't open, rename, delete, or move a file....
Yes, I once booted the Vista DVD and used Command Prompt to delete a rogue
file. Glad you got it solved. Thanks for reporting back.