cant install java on vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

lily3536

cant install java on vista
windows installer pops up says "this installation package could not be opened
verify the package exists and that you can access it or contact application
vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package" i have tried
the online and offline download of jre 6 i have windows vista home basic ie7
help
Andrew McLaren

Re: cant install java on vista
"lily3536" <lily3536@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> windows installer pops up says "this installation package could not be
> opened
> verify the package exists and that you can access it or contact
> application
> vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package" i have
> tried
> the online and offline download of jre 6 i have windows vista home basic
> ie7

It sounds like the download might have been corrupted?

Did you download Java from here:
http://www.java.com/getjava

Java 6 should install and run just fine, on Vista. There aren't many (any?)
problems I know of. It's only anecdotal evidence, but I have Java running on
several Vista machines, both 32 and 64 bit. So far, no problem.

I just looked at the Java website and it appears to be having a few
problems - if you downloaded Java in the last 6 hours or so it may well have
been a disrupted download. Try downloading again.

Hope it helps,
--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

CB

Re: cant install java on vista

lilly3536,

I experienced no problems whatsoever installing and running Java. Perhaps
the downloaded file was corrupted. I would try again.

Have a nice day.

C.B.
lily3536

"Andrew McLaren" wrote:

> "lily3536" <lily3536@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> > windows installer pops up says "this installation package could not be
> > opened
> > verify the package exists and that you can access it or contact
> > application
> > vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package" i have
> > tried
> > the online and offline download of jre 6 i have windows vista home basic
> > ie7

> It sounds like the download might have been corrupted?
>
> Did you download Java from here:
> http://www.java.com/getjava
>
> Java 6 should install and run just fine, on Vista. There aren't many (any?)
> problems I know of. It's only anecdotal evidence, but I have Java running on
> several Vista machines, both 32 and 64 bit. So far, no problem.
>
> I just looked at the Java website and it appears to be having a few
> problems - if you downloaded Java in the last 6 hours or so it may well have
> been a disrupted download. Try downloading again.
>
> Hope it helps,
> --
> Andrew McLaren
> amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au
>

> yes I have been working on finding an answer to this problem for 3 days I have went to the link you have posted and still have the same error someone else was having the same problem and theirs was solved but they didnt say how.I am at a total loss as I have tried downloading it several times over the last 3 days I am new to vista and don't know what else to try

Andrew McLaren

Re: cant install java on vista
"lily3536" <lily3536@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
>> yes I have been working on finding an answer to this problem for 3 days I
>> have went to the link you have posted and still have the same error
>> someone else was having the same problem and theirs was solved but they
>> didnt say how.I am at a total loss as I have tried downloading it several
>> times over the last 3 days I am new to vista and don't know what else to
>> try

The error message is coming from InstallShield, the software Sun use to
package Java for Windows. InstallShield is a good product, but it's
obvioulsy complining about something.

This Sun article describes exactly the error message you are seeing, and how
to fix it - have you tried this yet?
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/6000040100.xml

As a start, try to remove any traces of old or failed Java installation
attampts. In addition to the steps suggested in the Sun article, you can
also run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
to look for left-over crud on your system to be deleted.

If Java setup continues to fail, to this:

- download the Offline Java package for Windows, from here:
http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/downlo...BundleId=11291
This will download a file called jre-6u2-windows-i586-p-s.exe to your hard
disk,. It is about 13MB in size.

- start and Administrative command prompt -
- go to Start menu, Accessories,
- find the Command Prompt icon and right click it,
- choose Run as Administrator

- change directory to the location of your downloaded Java file, eg:
C:\Users\User>cd Downloads
C:\Users\User\Downloads

- now run jre-6u2-windows-i586-p-s.exe with the paramteters "/lvx
javainst.log"; eg:
C:\Users\User\Downloads>jre-6u2-windows-i586-p-s.exe /lvx javainst.log
and press <enter>

This will cause the Java setup to create a text file, javaist.log, in the
current directory, logging every step of the installation process. This
won't fix the problem, as such. But if Java setup fails, you can examine the
resulting log file to get more details of exactly what it is unhappy about;
instead of the rather vague error message which appears in the UI. You can
open javainst.log using any text editor, such as NotePad. A successful
installation creates a log file about 500MB in size. If the installation was
successful, you can just delete the log file.

At this point if Java won't install, you may have more of a Java problem,
than a Vista problem as such. But let us know if you have
questions/comments/issues.

Hope this helps,
--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

lily3536

Re: cant install java on vista

Thank you so much finaly got it I had to download the offline and restart my
computer and it worked so thank you again for your help
"lily3536" wrote:

> "Andrew McLaren" wrote:
>
> > "lily3536" <lily3536@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> > > windows installer pops up says "this installation package could not be
> > > opened
> > > verify the package exists and that you can access it or contact
> > > application
> > > vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package" i have
> > > tried
> > > the online and offline download of jre 6 i have windows vista home basic
> > > ie7

> > It sounds like the download might have been corrupted?
> >
> > Did you download Java from here:
> > http://www.java.com/getjava
> >
> > Java 6 should install and run just fine, on Vista. There aren't many (any?)
> > problems I know of. It's only anecdotal evidence, but I have Java running on
> > several Vista machines, both 32 and 64 bit. So far, no problem.
> >
> > I just looked at the Java website and it appears to be having a few
> > problems - if you downloaded Java in the last 6 hours or so it may well have
> > been a disrupted download. Try downloading again.
> >
> > Hope it helps,
> > --
> > Andrew McLaren
> > amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au
> >

> > yes I have been working on finding an answer to this problem for 3 days I have went to the link you have posted and still have the same error someone else was having the same problem and theirs was solved but they didnt say how.I am at a total loss as I have tried downloading it several times over the last 3 days I am new to vista and don't know what else to try

Andrew McLaren

Re: cant install java on vista
> finaly got it I had to download the offline and restart my
> computer and it worked

Excellent! Thanks for letting us know the problem was resolved.

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

wstemm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: cant install java on vista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaren View Post
> finaly got it I had to download the offline and restart my
> computer and it worked

Excellent! Thanks for letting us know the problem was resolved.

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au
well i have bin trying for a week and i still can`t instal it
Richard G. Harper

Re: cant install java on vista
A. Try posting in English.
B. Try telling us what version you're trying to install.
C. Try telling us what happens when you try to install it. Complete error
messages if present are essential.

"wstemm" <wstemm.3oe4w9@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Andrew McLaren;350144 Wrote:
>> > finaly got it I had to download the offline and restart my
>> > computer and it worked

>> Excellent! Thanks for letting us know the problem was resolved.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew McLaren
>> amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

> well i have bin trying for a week and i still can`t instal it
>

> --
> wstemm

wstemm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: cant install java on vista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G. Harper View Post
A. Try posting in English.
B. Try telling us what version you're trying to install.
C. Try telling us what happens when you try to install it. Complete error
messages if present are essential.

"wstemm" <wstemm.3oe4w9@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Andrew McLaren;350144 Wrote:
>> > finaly got it I had to download the offline and restart my
>> > computer and it worked
>>
>> Excellent! Thanks for letting us know the problem was resolved.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew McLaren
>> amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

> well i have bin trying for a week and i still can`t instal it
>

> --
> wstemm

vista basic 32 bit
pops up says "this installation package could not be opened
verify the package exists and that you can access it or contact application
vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package" i have tried
the online and offline download of jre 6 i have windows vista home basic ie7
help
tryed everything in this thread and still won`t load