Windows Defender & Firewall turn off

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

oldfogie

Windows Defender & Firewall turn off
Every day or two, I find Windows Defender and the Firewall turned off.
I turn them on, but something keeps turning them off.
Has anyone had experience with this, and know how to determine what is doing it?
oldfogie

Re: Windows Defender & Firewall turn off
Forgot to mention, I have Windows Live OneCare, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and CCleaner, and keep them updated and run them often.
Malcolm B.

"oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:fjfmi.5480$O9.3551@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
Every day or two, I find Windows Defender and the Firewall turned off.
I turn them on, but something keeps turning them off.
Has anyone had experience with this, and know how to determine what is doing it?
Dave

Re: Windows Defender & Firewall turn off
" Windows Defender was integrated into Windows Live OneCare. We recommend
that you remove Windows Defender before installing Windows Live OneCare."

http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust511...h22.nohold.net

"I have another antivirus or firewall program. Can I also install Windows
Live OneCare?
No. Before installing Windows Live OneCare, make sure to uninstall any other
antivirus or firewall programs currently on your computer. OneCare might not
run, or it might slow the performance of your computer, if you install it
when other antivirus or firewall programs are also installed on your
computer. During setup, OneCare checks for common antivirus and firewall
programs that are known to conflict and provides means for you to uninstall
them. "

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm

Forgot to mention, I have Windows Live OneCare, Adaware, Spybot Search &
Destroy, and CCleaner, and keep them updated and run them often.
Malcolm B.

"oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Every day or two, I find Windows Defender and the Firewall turned off.
I turn them on, but something keeps turning them off.
Has anyone had experience with this, and know how to determine what is doing
it?

oldfogie

Re: Windows Defender & Firewall turn off
So, wonder if it's Windows Live OneCare that's turning them off?
I don't remember anything about uninstalling Defender and Firewall when I was installing OneCare.
I will just leave them turned off.
Thanks!

"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message news:O$8gMhoxHHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> " Windows Defender was integrated into Windows Live OneCare. We recommend
> that you remove Windows Defender before installing Windows Live OneCare."
>
> http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust511...h22.nohold.net
>

> "I have another antivirus or firewall program. Can I also install Windows
> Live OneCare?
> No. Before installing Windows Live OneCare, make sure to uninstall any other
> antivirus or firewall programs currently on your computer. OneCare might not
> run, or it might slow the performance of your computer, if you install it
> when other antivirus or firewall programs are also installed on your
> computer. During setup, OneCare checks for common antivirus and firewall
> programs that are known to conflict and provides means for you to uninstall
> them. "
>
> http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm
>

> "oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Forgot to mention, I have Windows Live OneCare, Adaware, Spybot Search &
> Destroy, and CCleaner, and keep them updated and run them often.
> Malcolm B.
>

> "oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Every day or two, I find Windows Defender and the Firewall turned off.
> I turn them on, but something keeps turning them off.
> Has anyone had experience with this, and know how to determine what is doing
> it?

oldfogie

Re: Windows Defender & Firewall turn off

"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message news:O$8gMhoxHHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> " Windows Defender was integrated into Windows Live OneCare. We recommend
> that you remove Windows Defender before installing Windows Live OneCare."
>
> http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust511...h22.nohold.net

Dave, was the link above to a place to remove W.Defender?

When clicked on, it says:

"Your session or bookmark has expired. Please close all Knowledge Portal windows and then re-launch from the original site."

Dave

Re: Windows Defender & Firewall turn off
that link came from
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...rt/default.htm

click on "Launch Instant Support". That's where that quote came from... I
found in there somewhere... it may refer to XP...
I don't think you can remove Defender from Vista, but you can disable it.

I just found this...
http://windowsonecare.spaces.live.com/
Jan 12
"Let me try and clarify - if Windows Defender is installed on a machine and
then OneCare v1.5 is installed afterward, by default the installation will
disable Windows Defender. Windows Defender will then display a dialog
indicating that it has been disabled, and asking if the user wants to turn
it on again. When you are installing OneCare v1.5 you should close this
dialog without re-enabling Defender. OneCare intentionally disables Defender
because it can cause system instability to have both running at the same
time, and since OneCare is a superset of Defender, there is no reason you
would need both of them running.

A number of folks have also asked why OneCare disables Windows Defender
rather than simply removing it. Two reasons: First, Windows Defender is part
of the Windows Vista operating system and cannot be uninstalled, it can only
be disabled. Second, if for any reason a user uninstalls OneCare, we will
automatically turn Windows Defender back on to help keep users protected
against spyware. "

"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
> " Windows Defender was integrated into Windows Live OneCare. We recommend
> that you remove Windows Defender before installing Windows Live OneCare."
>
> http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust511...h22.nohold.net

Dave, was the link above to a place to remove W.Defender?

When clicked on, it says:

"Your session or bookmark has expired. Please close all Knowledge Portal
windows and then re-launch from the original site."

oldfogie

Re: Windows Defender & Firewall turn off
OK, Thanks, Dave! That answers my questions.
Malcolm