D drive is full

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Nancy

D drive is full
I have VISTA Home Premium.

Please help with this issue. I can't get rid of the warning that my "D"
drive is full. Backup failed. Next backup will in in 1889 (NOT a typo).
<LOL> Support told me to tweak several things but when we came to finding
the HP Pavillion folder it was simply not there to delete! So he had me
delete the recycle bin which did nothing.

Thanks in advance,
Nancy

Dave B.

Re: D drive is full
Is D the HP recovery partition?
If so try turning off system restore for the D partition, and remove it from
any backups your doing.
Also, if it is the recovery partition you can't do a backup to it I don't
believe.
We need more info of exactly how your backup is set up to offer any useful
advise.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have VISTA Home Premium.
>
> Please help with this issue. I can't get rid of the warning that my "D"
> drive is full. Backup failed. Next backup will in in 1889 (NOT a typo).
> <LOL> Support told me to tweak several things but when we came to finding
> the HP Pavillion folder it was simply not there to delete! So he had me
> delete the recycle bin which did nothing.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Nancy

Nancy

Re: D drive is full
Yes, the D drive is the recovery partition. Every time I boot up it warns
me the D drive is full. I think there are automatic backups that would
occur if it weren't full. It cannot be emptied like any ol' bunch of files.
It simply won't allow that. I have no idea how to do that ... remove it
from backups I am doing. I only try to backup the C drive anyway. I have
not tried any backups at all other than the recovery disks I made last week
when I bought this new computer.

"Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> Is D the HP recovery partition?
> If so try turning off system restore for the D partition, and remove it
> from any backups your doing.
> Also, if it is the recovery partition you can't do a backup to it I don't
> believe.
> We need more info of exactly how your backup is set up to offer any useful
> advise.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have VISTA Home Premium.
>>
>> Please help with this issue. I can't get rid of the warning that my "D"
>> drive is full. Backup failed. Next backup will in in 1889 (NOT a typo).
>> <LOL> Support told me to tweak several things but when we came to
>> finding the HP Pavillion folder it was simply not there to delete! So he
>> had me delete the recycle bin which did nothing.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Nancy

Dave B.

Re: D drive is full
You don't want to empty it, you'd loose the option to recover your system if
it crashed. Have you turned of system restore on it? Unless HP changed the
way this partition works, Vista should not be using it in any way.

--
----
> Yes, the D drive is the recovery partition. Every time I boot up it warns
> me the D drive is full. I think there are automatic backups that would
> occur if it weren't full. It cannot be emptied like any ol' bunch of
> files. It simply won't allow that. I have no idea how to do that ...
> remove it from backups I am doing. I only try to backup the C drive
> anyway. I have not tried any backups at all other than the recovery disks
> I made last week when I bought this new computer.
>
> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> Is D the HP recovery partition?
>> If so try turning off system restore for the D partition, and remove it
>> from any backups your doing.
>> Also, if it is the recovery partition you can't do a backup to it I don't
>> believe.
>> We need more info of exactly how your backup is set up to offer any
>> useful advise.
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have VISTA Home Premium.
>>>
>>> Please help with this issue. I can't get rid of the warning that my "D"
>>> drive is full. Backup failed. Next backup will in in 1889 (NOT a
>>> typo). <LOL> Support told me to tweak several things but when we came
>>> to finding the HP Pavillion folder it was simply not there to delete!
>>> So he had me delete the recycle bin which did nothing.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Nancy

Nancy

Re: D drive is full
2 things ...
how do I "turn off system restore on it?"
Also, now that support had me remove the recycle bin from it will that
effect it?

I suppose I can live with the warning coming up all the time but I'd prefer
to address the issue.

> You don't want to empty it, you'd loose the option to recover your system
> if it crashed. Have you turned of system restore on it? Unless HP changed
> the way this partition works, Vista should not be using it in any way.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, the D drive is the recovery partition. Every time I boot up it
>> warns me the D drive is full. I think there are automatic backups that
>> would occur if it weren't full. It cannot be emptied like any ol' bunch
>> of files. It simply won't allow that. I have no idea how to do that ...
>> remove it from backups I am doing. I only try to backup the C drive
>> anyway. I have not tried any backups at all other than the recovery
>> disks I made last week when I bought this new computer.
>>
>> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>>> Is D the HP recovery partition?
>>> If so try turning off system restore for the D partition, and remove it
>>> from any backups your doing.
>>> Also, if it is the recovery partition you can't do a backup to it I
>>> don't believe.
>>> We need more info of exactly how your backup is set up to offer any
>>> useful advise.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ----
>>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://www.db-pc.com
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott

Re: D drive is full
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:26:34 -0500, "Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net>
spake thusly:

>Yes, the D drive is the recovery partition. Every time I boot up it warns
>me the D drive is full. I think there are automatic backups that would
>occur if it weren't full. It cannot be emptied like any ol' bunch of files.
>It simply won't allow that. I have no idea how to do that ... remove it
>from backups I am doing. I only try to backup the C drive anyway. I have
>not tried any backups at all other than the recovery disks I made last week
>when I bought this new computer.

If you've not already done so, create a restore DVD. The data used for
that is on your "D" drive.

Once you've done that, you're not allowed to do it again. Therefore,
it's safe to format your D drive (as the data on it is now useless)
and do whatever you wish with it.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.
Dave B.

Re: D drive is full
I'm not on a Vista machine, so from memory, right click my computer, select
properties, then advanced options, and I believe there is a tab for it, just
turn it off on the D drive, there's nothing there to back up, it's just the
recovery data you access during POST with a keystroke.

--
----
>2 things ...
> how do I "turn off system restore on it?"
> Also, now that support had me remove the recycle bin from it will that
> effect it?
>
> I suppose I can live with the warning coming up all the time but I'd
> prefer to address the issue.
>
> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> You don't want to empty it, you'd loose the option to recover your system
>> if it crashed. Have you turned of system restore on it? Unless HP changed
>> the way this partition works, Vista should not be using it in any way.
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Yes, the D drive is the recovery partition. Every time I boot up it
>>> warns me the D drive is full. I think there are automatic backups that
>>> would occur if it weren't full. It cannot be emptied like any ol' bunch
>>> of files. It simply won't allow that. I have no idea how to do that ...
>>> remove it from backups I am doing. I only try to backup the C drive
>>> anyway. I have not tried any backups at all other than the recovery
>>> disks I made last week when I bought this new computer.

Nancy

Re: D drive is full

"Scott" <geekboy@angrykeyboarder.comatose> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:26:34 -0500, "Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net>
> spake thusly:
>
>>Yes, the D drive is the recovery partition. Every time I boot up it warns
>>me the D drive is full. I think there are automatic backups that would
>>occur if it weren't full. It cannot be emptied like any ol' bunch of
>>files.
>>It simply won't allow that. I have no idea how to do that ... remove it
>>from backups I am doing. I only try to backup the C drive anyway. I have
>>not tried any backups at all other than the recovery disks I made last
>>week
>>when I bought this new computer.

> If you've not already done so, create a restore DVD. The data used for
> that is on your "D" drive.
>
> Once you've done that, you're not allowed to do it again. Therefore,
> it's safe to format your D drive (as the data on it is now useless)
> and do whatever you wish with it.
>
> --
> Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
> be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.

You used the phrase "create a restore DVD". Am I to assume that is the same
thing as a "recovery disk"? I had not done that the first day so have 2
DVD's for the recovery disks. In the interrim I had copied a lot of the
files from my old computer to the new one.

Nancy

Re: D drive is full

"Scott" <geekboy@angrykeyboarder.comatose> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:26:34 -0500, "Nancy" <nospamplease@comcast.net>
> spake thusly:
>
>>Yes, the D drive is the recovery partition. Every time I boot up it warns
>>me the D drive is full. I think there are automatic backups that would
>>occur if it weren't full. It cannot be emptied like any ol' bunch of
>>files.
>>It simply won't allow that. I have no idea how to do that ... remove it
>>from backups I am doing. I only try to backup the C drive anyway. I have
>>not tried any backups at all other than the recovery disks I made last
>>week
>>when I bought this new computer.

> If you've not already done so, create a restore DVD. The data used for
> that is on your "D" drive.
>
> Once you've done that, you're not allowed to do it again. Therefore,
> it's safe to format your D drive (as the data on it is now useless)
> and do whatever you wish with it.
>
> --
> Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
> be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.

Thanks again. I did indeed format that drive. Now here's hoping the
recovery discs I made are all right. But the original problem of the full
drive warning is past. That was my goal. Thanks for bearing with me.
Nancy