'permissions' relating to import/export of .pst files in Outlook 2

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

TufftyBob

'permissions' relating to import/export of .pst files in Outlook 2
Hello all.

To start with my apologies for such a long posting!

I am a new user of Windows Vista Home Premium and don't understand why I am
having such a problem trying to import the same .pst data files that were
exported from my personal folders in Outlook 2003 back into the same personal
folders after I have done a full destructive recovery and re-installed Office
2003. I am able to export either the entire pop3 e-mail accounts personal
folders which include everything contained within it i.e inbox, outbox, sent
items etc in one go or I can export each folder individually. I am not asked
for any kind of permission when I use the import/export feature in Outlook
2003 found in the file menu to export these files to either an external usb2
fat32 drive or an external usb2 NTSF drive. When I try to use the same
feature to import these files I get the message "file access is denied. you
do not have the required permission to access the file "filename" at
location.........." the last bit is referring to the drive letter and folder
and/or file to which the .pst file was exported.

The strange thing about it is that when I did exactly the same thing with
..pst files on my Win' XP sp2 laptop using Outllook 2003 (as well as 2002 AND
2000) I had no such problems importing those exported files into Outlook 2003
on my Vista pc and Outlook 2003 on my laptop whether they were on the same
drives I am still using today or even if they were in a file or folder
created on a cd-rw disc used in the XP laptop.

I have gone into the properties either for the drive in question that the
folder containing the files is on or even down to the individual file level,
and tried to change the settings for permissions for each account found in
there (on the security tab), of which there seems to be many by default
despite me being the owner of this pc and therefore the 'Administrator'.
There is only ONE account showing in the option in control panel (apart from
'Guest Account' which is turned off) as that is what I use to log into
windows and this is password protected.

Even when I go into safe mode to try to change the settings for the account
entries which are described in one column as " not inherited" I can NOT set
permanently the "creator/owner" entry to FULL Control, or the duplicated
username(administrator) entry which has a lower than Full control permission.
Also an 'Unknown Account' with a huge string of numbers for it's 'name' keeps
popping into this section when I try to remove the duplicated entry for my
username that has lower than full control permission and/or when I click on
apply after changing the permission for creator from 'special' to full
control. After I click 'apply' the changed settings for creator/owner revert
to default and the duplicated username entry aslo returns. I cannot for the
life of me figure out how to change any of the permissions for any of the
account entries for any external drive of any such folder or file on it even
temporarily as these options are 'greyed out' on the only boxes that pop up
if I use the edit or advanced buttons.

I have no idea where I am able to get the correct instructions as Microsoft
wont tell me without charging £40 and the tech support for the company that
sold me the pc wont tell me because of 'data protection'.

thank you for any info that helps

Michael Solomon

Re: 'permissions' relating to import/export of .pst files in Outlook 2

"TufftyBob" <TufftyBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> control. After I click 'apply' the changed settings for creator/owner
> revert
> to default and the duplicated username entry aslo returns. I cannot for
> the
> life of me figure out how to change any of the permissions for any of the
> account entries for any external drive of any such folder or file on it
> even
> temporarily as these options are 'greyed out' on the only boxes that pop
> up
> if I use the edit or advanced buttons.
>
> I have no idea where I am able to get the correct instructions as
> Microsoft
> wont tell me without charging £40 and the tech support for the company
> that
> sold me the pc wont tell me because of 'data protection'.

Try temporarily turn off User Account Control, UAC and see if you are then
able to perform the function. Open Control Panel, open User Accounts, click
"Turn User Account Control On or Off, then turn it off and see if you can
get it done.

I've run into a few issues with the import/export function as well and not
just in Vista. As an alternative, you use my backup program. I backup the
file, when I restore, I restore it to a temp location and then import from
there. Also, Outlook has a backup/restore add-in but I've found it a bit
buggy and I had to recreate some things my backup restore did not require.
Here's a link if you are interested:
http://tinyurl.com/4xwnh

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

TufftyBob

Re: 'permissions' relating to import/export of .pst files in Outlo
Hello Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion about UAC, I will try that and get back to you via
this method if it does or doesn't work.

Do you know whether the Personal Folders Backup add in for Outlook 2003 (or
any other Office 2003 "add in" for that matter e.g. Microsoft eBook reader or
Active Sync) is compatible with Office/Outlook 2003 when it is on a Vista pc?

news20F0012-67AD-4DCC-9DE5-57FC0BBBB5EB@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> >
>> > thank you for any info that helps
>> >

>> Try temporarily turn off User Account Control, UAC and see if you are
>> then
>> able to perform the function. Open Control Panel, open User Accounts,
>> click
>> "Turn User Account Control On or Off, then turn it off and see if you can
>> get it done.
>>
>> I've run into a few issues with the import/export function as well and
>> not
>> just in Vista. As an alternative, you use my backup program. I backup
>> the
>> file, when I restore, I restore it to a temp location and then import
>> from
>> there. Also, Outlook has a backup/restore add-in but I've found it a bit
>> buggy and I had to recreate some things my backup restore did not

The one thing that I can think of that might be an issue is the default file
restore might be different. As you may know, the PST file is located in a
different place on Vista than on XP. That said, it's been awhile since I
used it. I don't remember precisely why I stopped in favor of my backup
program but it probably had to do with it's greater options and flexibility.
I seem to recall something else that displeased me about the plug-in but I
can't remember precisely what it was.

I can only suggest running some tests with it to see if it suits your needs.
I'd image my setup, then do a test afterward, preferably on a fresh install
of Office and see if it did what I wanted. After that, you could return to
your imaged setup knowing whether or not this would work and serve your
needs going forward.