Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

MoodyStarfish

Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.
On a Dell Inspiron E1705/9400 running Vista Ultimate. Out of the blue one
day, my volume icon disappeared. The checkbox for enabling the volume icon is
greyed out in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, too. Now my network icon has
disappeared, and its icon is greyed out in Properties as well. Any ideas?

Just in case you need it -- the network card's an Intel PRO/Wireless
3945ABG, and the sound card is SigmaTel High Definition Audio, along with a
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset plugged in occasionally. The network and
audio work fine. The only problem is that I can't find a way to enable their
icons in the notification area.
Chris

RE: Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.
Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that I have the same problem on a Toshiba A105 laptop
with Vista Ultimate.

"MoodyStarfish" wrote:

> On a Dell Inspiron E1705/9400 running Vista Ultimate. Out of the blue one
> day, my volume icon disappeared. The checkbox for enabling the volume icon is
> greyed out in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, too. Now my network icon has
> disappeared, and its icon is greyed out in Properties as well. Any ideas?
>
> Just in case you need it -- the network card's an Intel PRO/Wireless
> 3945ABG, and the sound card is SigmaTel High Definition Audio, along with a
> Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset plugged in occasionally. The network and
> audio work fine. The only problem is that I can't find a way to enable their
> icons in the notification area.

jaxx0rr is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.
same problem here.. happens once in 20 bootups so its kind of rare.. and when I restart the pc I get the icons back..
but I dont understand why they gray out in the first place?
I think this issue is related to installed software rather than hardware

ps:
I have Vista Ultimate 64

Last edited by jaxx0rr : 09-26-2008 at 12:57.

spot is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.
Have a look here
Restore missing Notification Area icons in Windows Vista - The Winhelponline Blog

Common Voter is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.
That did it. Thanks. Stopped explorer.exe through the Task Manager & then started it anew & my system tray icons returned. Additionally, the Volume & Network check boxes are no longer greyed out in the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties \ Notification Area \ System icons"

Last edited by Common Voter : 01-11-2010 at 05:24.
saraish

"Common Voter" wrote:

> spot;1008429 Wrote:
> > Have a look here
> > 'Restore missing Notification Area icons in Windows Vista - The
> > Winhelponline Blog' (http://tinyurl.com/6f3m6e)

> That did it. Thanks. Stopped explorer.exe through the Task Manager &
> then started it anew & my system tray icons returned. Additionally, the
> Volume & Network check boxes are no longer greyed out in the "Taskbar
> and Start Menu Properties \ Notification Area \ System icons"
>

> --
> Common Voter
>
> .

saraish

RE: Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.

xcluce is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.
Hello,

Firstly at the taskbar press Right Click and then unselect "Lock to Taskbar". After that you can see that you able to unhide icons at the Notification Area tab.

Thanks

drtech is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Greyed out Volume and Network icon option.
If you are still having issues with the volume, network and power icons not working on the system and you have tired all the options listed. You may have corrupt reg keys from running registry cleaners or applications like Combofix. After battling this issue for almost 2 months now I found the solution have created a reg script that fixes the issue. Hope it helps others. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9280474/fix.reg

Dr. Tech