Spooler not working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Rene Sloot

Spooler not working
Hello

Often my system displays a message, that the the spooler stopped working.
Nowadays the spooler doesn't even start anymore.
Since installation, I wasn't able to print anything at all.
From a friend of mine I heard, this problem is quite common.
He himself wasn't able to print anything.
Is there a solution to the problem or do I have to wait another 6 Months?

Kind regards
Rene
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Spooler not working
Print Spooler? You've corrupted your printer drivers, uninstall and
reinstall your printer.

(written for XP but same procedure for Vista)
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)

"Rene Sloot" <rene@sloot.net> wrote in message
newsBC3F90E-24A6-4E2A-A587-11673D014438@microsoft.com...
> Hello
>
> Often my system displays a message, that the the spooler stopped working.
> Nowadays the spooler doesn't even start anymore.
> Since installation, I wasn't able to print anything at all.
> From a friend of mine I heard, this problem is quite common.
> He himself wasn't able to print anything.
> Is there a solution to the problem or do I have to wait another 6 Months?
>
> Kind regards
> Rene

Bill Yanaire

Re: Spooler not working
If you reinstall your printer drivers and the spooler stops. You need to go
into the Admin Tools/Services then stop and restart the print spooler. I
had to do this a couple of times. It finally worked after that.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Print Spooler? You've corrupted your printer drivers, uninstall and
> reinstall your printer.
>
> (written for XP but same procedure for Vista)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Rene Sloot" <rene@sloot.net> wrote in message
> newsBC3F90E-24A6-4E2A-A587-11673D014438@microsoft.com...
>> Hello
>>
>> Often my system displays a message, that the the spooler stopped working.
>> Nowadays the spooler doesn't even start anymore.
>> Since installation, I wasn't able to print anything at all.
>> From a friend of mine I heard, this problem is quite common.
>> He himself wasn't able to print anything.
>> Is there a solution to the problem or do I have to wait another 6 Months?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Rene

Mick Murphy

RE: Spooler not working
And check the Printer's Manufacturer's site for Vista compatible drivers.

"Rene Sloot" wrote:

> Hello
>
> Often my system displays a message, that the the spooler stopped working.
> Nowadays the spooler doesn't even start anymore.
> Since installation, I wasn't able to print anything at all.
> From a friend of mine I heard, this problem is quite common.
> He himself wasn't able to print anything.
> Is there a solution to the problem or do I have to wait another 6 Months?
>
> Kind regards
> Rene

pher

Re: Spooler not working
I had this problem with a Minolta 2300DL laser printer. This printer is
connected to an XP workstation and when I installed it on my Vista laptop,
it used the XP driver. 2 months ago, I was able to download a Vista driver
for this printer. I installed it as a local printer on my laptop, on LPT1,
no matter if my laptop has no lpt1 port. Then I reinstalled the network
driver and the problem was gone.

Hope this helps you
pher

"Rene Sloot" <rene@sloot.net> wrote in message
newsBC3F90E-24A6-4E2A-A587-11673D014438@microsoft.com...
> Hello
>
> Often my system displays a message, that the the spooler stopped working.
> Nowadays the spooler doesn't even start anymore.
> Since installation, I wasn't able to print anything at all.
> From a friend of mine I heard, this problem is quite common.
> He himself wasn't able to print anything.
> Is there a solution to the problem or do I have to wait another 6 Months?
>
> Kind regards
> Rene

Rob Lewis

Re: Spooler not working
I find it totally astounding that Microsoft can relase an operating system
that is incapable of printing, and when the internet is full of users asking
for help, they just say "restart the spooler".
WELL IT JUST STOPS AGAIN SO THAT DOESN'T HELP!!!

Every Vista PC I have seen has this problem.

Even my brand new Vaio with Vista pre-installed. I suspect it may be because
I rather foolishly connected to a network printer at work. Now, I can't even
delete that printer because the spooler doesn't stay running long enough to
let me.

Does anyone out there have a fix for this?

Can anyone tell me how to remove a printer WITHOUT REQUIRING THE PRINT
SPOOLER TO BE RUNNING ?

Or do I call Sony and ask for an XP CD?
Mike

Re: Spooler not working
In article <CB1C2A64-A98D-48E3-A667-CBBED64F59C4@microsoft.com>,
Rob Lewis <Rob Lewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I find it totally astounding that Microsoft can relase an operating system
> that is incapable of printing, and when the internet is full of users asking
> for help, they just say "restart the spooler".
> WELL IT JUST STOPS AGAIN SO THAT DOESN'T HELP!!!
>
> Every Vista PC I have seen has this problem.

Clearly you haven't seen my 2 Vista machines. No problems printing
here.

First time I've heard of this one.

Mike
Ian Betts

Re: Spooler not working
Oh dear Most Vista systems print first time. Try getting update drivers for
your printer from the suppliers web site.

--
Ian

"Rob Lewis" <Rob Lewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I find it totally astounding that Microsoft can relase an operating system
> that is incapable of printing, and when the internet is full of users
> asking
> for help, they just say "restart the spooler".
> WELL IT JUST STOPS AGAIN SO THAT DOESN'T HELP!!!
>
> Every Vista PC I have seen has this problem.
>
> Even my brand new Vaio with Vista pre-installed. I suspect it may be
> because
> I rather foolishly connected to a network printer at work. Now, I can't
> even
> delete that printer because the spooler doesn't stay running long enough
> let me.
>
> Does anyone out there have a fix for this?
>
> Can anyone tell me how to remove a printer WITHOUT REQUIRING THE PRINT
> SPOOLER TO BE RUNNING ?
>
> Or do I call Sony and ask for an XP CD?

Rob Lewis

Re: Spooler not working
Hmm, not my experience at all. The problem seems to be that if you just try
to connect to a network printer, the server sends the driver for XP because
it doesn't know any better. So then I jump on the vendor's (Toshiba) website
and find that they have never heard of Vista, and I can't uninstall the
printer because the print spooler crashes whenever I try.

On my home PC, yes, it works, and plugging my Vaio into my home network, I
can print to the printer on that network provided I start the spooler and
print immediately (I get about 20 seconds).

If you google Vista Spooler, you will see dozens of reports of the same
problem, but no answers as yet.

"Ian Betts" wrote:

> Oh dear Most Vista systems print first time. Try getting update drivers for
> your printer from the suppliers web site.
>

> --
> Ian
>
> "Rob Lewis" <Rob Lewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I find it totally astounding that Microsoft can relase an operating system
> > that is incapable of printing, and when the internet is full of users
> > asking
> > for help, they just say "restart the spooler".
> > WELL IT JUST STOPS AGAIN SO THAT DOESN'T HELP!!!
> >
> > Every Vista PC I have seen has this problem.
> >
> > Even my brand new Vaio with Vista pre-installed. I suspect it may be
> > because
> > I rather foolishly connected to a network printer at work. Now, I can't
> > even
> > delete that printer because the spooler doesn't stay running long enough
> > let me.
> >
> > Does anyone out there have a fix for this?
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to remove a printer WITHOUT REQUIRING THE PRINT
> > SPOOLER TO BE RUNNING ?
> >
> > Or do I call Sony and ask for an XP CD?

jigs

Re: Spooler not working

Same problem. Also using Vista and Toshiba Printer (eStudio 520)
The instruction in this link fixed it. Good luck!

jigs
jigs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28575
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=781646

http://forums.techarena.in