W32TIME service is fubar - HELP!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

MrBill

W32TIME service is fubar - HELP!
I was experimenting on getting the time to synchronize properly with
my new Dell Vista PC. During my experiments, I set the W32TIME
service, "Log On" tab to "Local System Account". This didn't resolve
the problem, so I attempted to change it back to "This Account: Local
System", but it won't accept the password which is there but hidden.

I am the only user on my PC and have not assigned a password to my
user account, but a blank password does not work with this service.
Can anyone tell me what the how to find a password for the W32TIME
service?

Thanks,
MrBill
Andrew McLaren

Re: W32TIME service is fubar - HELP!
> the problem, so I attempted to change it back to "This Account: Local
> System", but it won't accept the password which is there but hidden.
> I am the only user on my PC and have not assigned a password to my
> user account, but a blank password does not work with this service.
> Can anyone tell me what the how to find a password for the W32TIME

Hi MrBill

I am pretty sure the password for the "Local Service" account is blank -
that is, you should delete any dots which appear in the password field
before hitting okay. Backspace right up to the left hand margin of the
password field.

If you still have problems after doing this, enter the account name in the
form: "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" (without the quotes), and try again.

It's okay to let this Local Service account have a blank password, because
the account has a very restricted set of rights and permissions - for
example, it cannot be used to log on to the machine interactively. There's
no way in Windows 2000/XP/Vista to recover a password. The system never
displays passwords as plain text. If you don't know a password, it is lost
(apart from unofficial password-hacking methods).

Hope it helps,

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

MrBill

Re: W32TIME service is fubar - HELP!
I had tried a blank PW by double clicking on the dots and then
pressing delete, but this didn't work. Backing up over the passwords
worked though . . . go figure! Thanks Andrew . . .

- Bill