Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

bamahusker

Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
fix this?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
Open 'Sounds' in the Control Panel and change the default to
"Speakers" rather than "Digital Audio Interface".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"bamahusker" wrote:

I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
fix this?

bamahusker

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
nothing in sounds about Digital Audio Interface. There is Speakers and it has
a check,ark in it so i assume that means Speakers is Defaulted.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open 'Sounds' in the Control Panel and change the default to
> "Speakers" rather than "Digital Audio Interface".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "bamahusker" wrote:
>
> I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
> play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
> pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
> Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
> fix this?

bamahusker

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
hello?

"bamahusker" wrote:

> nothing in sounds about Digital Audio Interface. There is Speakers and it has
> a check,ark in it so i assume that means Speakers is Defaulted.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Open 'Sounds' in the Control Panel and change the default to
> > "Speakers" rather than "Digital Audio Interface".
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> >
> > "bamahusker" wrote:
> >
> > I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
> > play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
> > pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
> > Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
> > fix this?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
Open Sounds, click on the Playback tab, then click on Properties,
Custom tab, then uncheck Digital Output Only, click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open 'Sounds' in the Control Panel and change the default to
> "Speakers" rather than "Digital Audio Interface".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "bamahusker" wrote:
>
> I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
> play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
> pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
> Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
> fix this?

bamahusker

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
Sounds>Playback Tab>Properties was there but there is no Custom tab. i'm
confused.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open Sounds, click on the Playback tab, then click on Properties,
> Custom tab, then uncheck Digital Output Only, click Apply.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "bamahusker" wrote:
>
> nothing in sounds about Digital Audio Interface. There is Speakers and it has
> a check,ark in it so i assume that means Speakers is Defaulted.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Open 'Sounds' in the Control Panel and change the default to
> > "Speakers" rather than "Digital Audio Interface".
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> >
> > "bamahusker" wrote:
> >
> > I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
> > play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
> > pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
> > Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
> > fix this?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
If you recently purchased a new computer with Windows Vista
preinstalled, then contact the manufacturer of your computer
for support assistance regarding your issue with WMP. There
should not be any charge for this service.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open Sounds, click on the Playback tab, then click on Properties,
> Custom tab, then uncheck Digital Output Only, click Apply.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "bamahusker" wrote:
>
> nothing in sounds about Digital Audio Interface. There is Speakers and it has
> a check,ark in it so i assume that means Speakers is Defaulted.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Open 'Sounds' in the Control Panel and change the default to
> > "Speakers" rather than "Digital Audio Interface".
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> >
> > "bamahusker" wrote:
> >
> > I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
> > play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
> > pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
> > Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
> > fix this?

bamahusker

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD
i did that a few days ago. they couldn't figure it out. Tell me something.
the most recent version of Media Player i have is 11.0.6000.6234. is that the
most recent version? if not then this might be the problem. i see them
talking about Media Player for Vista but the only download i see is for XP.
If there is a download for vista that's updated,tell me the link and i'll
install it. However if i can use the XP version on Vista without a
conflict,maybe i could install that instead. give me your opinion.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> If you recently purchased a new computer with Windows Vista
> preinstalled, then contact the manufacturer of your computer
> for support assistance regarding your issue with WMP. There
> should not be any charge for this service.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "bamahusker" <bamahusker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9906566B-7027-4ACB-92FC-6D441CC253B3@microsoft.com...
> Sounds>Playback Tab>Properties was there but there is no Custom tab. i'm
> confused.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Open Sounds, click on the Playback tab, then click on Properties,
> > Custom tab, then uncheck Digital Output Only, click Apply.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> >
> > "bamahusker" wrote:
> >
> > nothing in sounds about Digital Audio Interface. There is Speakers and it has
> > a check,ark in it so i assume that means Speakers is Defaulted.
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Open 'Sounds' in the Control Panel and change the default to
> > > "Speakers" rather than "Digital Audio Interface".
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carey Frisch
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows - Shell/User
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> > >
> > > "bamahusker" wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll get sound when i play mpegs,wmv,asf's,etc,but when i put a DVD in and
> > > play it in Media Player,i get Video but no Audio. any ideas? it came
> > > pre-installed with Power DVD and i have been using that but i like Media
> > > Player better because i have control with menus better. Any ideas on how to
> > > fix this?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't have sound when i play a DVD

That's the latest version available.

There is no stand-alone installer available for Vista: you already have the
most recent version.

Which version of Vista you using?

According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu too, what
DVD decoders do you have installed?

--
Speaking for myself only.