Changing Boot Order

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Mary Hartman

Changing Boot Order

About a week ago I set up a dual boot with Vista Premium. Contrary to
all the hoopla, it seems to be running perfectly. The only problem is
that many of my favorite programs won't yet run on it.

Therefore, I would like to change the default boot order. It set up
automatically so that Vista boots unless I wait around and change the
selection. Is it possible to change this so that XP boots be default
instead. After all, the programs I use most are still in XP.

Thank you

Michael Jennings

Re: Changing Boot Order
BCDEdit really needed a GUI, which VistaBootPRO provides:
http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php
Scroll down to the Downloads: "Mirror 1" & "Mirror 2" at the link
and click on either to download it. Set Default OS as you please.

"Mary Hartman" <MaryHartman@TVLand.wish> wrote in message news:g9d3u2d7jijrf2o6ato0l6mo097p6d88a8@4ax.com...

> About a week ago I set up a dual boot with Vista Premium. Contrary to
> all the hoopla, it seems to be running perfectly. The only problem is
> that many of my favorite programs won't yet run on it.
>
> Therefore, I would like to change the default boot order. It set up
> automatically so that Vista boots unless I wait around and change the
> selection. Is it possible to change this so that XP boots be default
> instead. After all, the programs I use most are still in XP.
>
> Thank you

Rick Rogers

Re: Changing Boot Order
Hi,

The easiest way is to run msconfig from the start prompt. On the boot tab,
click on the XP entry and then 'set as default'.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mary Hartman" <MaryHartman@TVLand.wish> wrote in message

> About a week ago I set up a dual boot with Vista Premium. Contrary to
> all the hoopla, it seems to be running perfectly. The only problem is
> that many of my favorite programs won't yet run on it.
>
> Therefore, I would like to change the default boot order. It set up
> automatically so that Vista boots unless I wait around and change the
> selection. Is it possible to change this so that XP boots be default
> instead. After all, the programs I use most are still in XP.
>
> Thank you

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbi1EZWFu?=

RE: Changing Boot Order
Run C:\Windows\System32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe, and then, on the
Advanced tab, under the section named "Startup and Recovery", click on the
"Settings..." button.

"Mary Hartman" wrote:

> About a week ago I set up a dual boot with Vista Premium. Contrary to
> all the hoopla, it seems to be running perfectly. The only problem is
> that many of my favorite programs won't yet run on it.
>
> Therefore, I would like to change the default boot order. It set up
> automatically so that Vista boots unless I wait around and change the
> selection. Is it possible to change this so that XP boots be default
> instead. After all, the programs I use most are still in XP.
>
> Thank you

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Changing Boot Order
Easier: get VistaBootPro, a free download.

Gary VanderMolen