System restore error on Vista home premium

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?U2FyYQ==?=

System restore error on Vista home premium

When I attempt to use windows system restore I get an error message
that says "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
incorrect. 0x8007007B"

Any ideas why I am not able to access system restore?

Thanks.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
Sara, can you provide the exact steps you are using to get this error? Also,
what kind of computer are you using? Is it brand new or did you install
Vista onto an existing computer?

"Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> When I attempt to use windows system restore I get an error message
> that says "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
> incorrect. 0x8007007B"
>
> Any ideas why I am not able to access system restore?
>

> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?U2FyYQ==?=

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
Hi Jill,

I had installed Print Workshop software 2006 LE to my brand new gateway
GM5420 computer which came already installed with Vista Home Premium.
Immediately after installation of this PrintWorkshop software I had errors
and was not able to use it so decided to uninstall it. It would not allow me
to uninstall this program via the control panel (I got error "PW2006.exe
Common Language Runtime Debugging Services)
It said it was a locked file.
So, that is when I tried to go into System Restore to remove it that way.
How I went into system restore was:

Click on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
So that I could restore to a point before I installed Print Workshop.

But... I didn't get very far-- when I clicked on System Restore I got red
circle with a x in it and said "there was an unexpected error" and "the
filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. 0x8007007B
System Restore will now close"

Hope that helps clarify my problem better.
Thanks for your help!

Sara

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Sara, can you provide the exact steps you are using to get this error? Also,
> what kind of computer are you using? Is it brand new or did you install
> Vista onto an existing computer?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > When I attempt to use windows system restore I get an error message
> > that says "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
> > incorrect. 0x8007007B"
> >
> > Any ideas why I am not able to access system restore?
> >

> > Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?SmlsbCBab2VsbGVyIFtNU0ZUXQ==?=

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
Sara, we know exactly what the issue is thanks to another Gateway customer
who reported this. We would like to get a screenshot from you--would you mind
sending me an email? Remove "online" from my address.

"Sara" wrote:

> Hi Jill,
>
> I had installed Print Workshop software 2006 LE to my brand new gateway
> GM5420 computer which came already installed with Vista Home Premium.
> Immediately after installation of this PrintWorkshop software I had errors
> and was not able to use it so decided to uninstall it. It would not allow me
> to uninstall this program via the control panel (I got error "PW2006.exe
> Common Language Runtime Debugging Services)
> It said it was a locked file.
> So, that is when I tried to go into System Restore to remove it that way.
> How I went into system restore was:
>
> Click on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
> So that I could restore to a point before I installed Print Workshop.
>
> But... I didn't get very far-- when I clicked on System Restore I got red
> circle with a x in it and said "there was an unexpected error" and "the
> filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. 0x8007007B
> System Restore will now close"
>
> Hope that helps clarify my problem better.
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Sara
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Sara, can you provide the exact steps you are using to get this error? Also,
> > what kind of computer are you using? Is it brand new or did you install
> > Vista onto an existing computer?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >

> > "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > When I attempt to use windows system restore I get an error message
> > > that says "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
> > > incorrect. 0x8007007B"
> > >
> > > Any ideas why I am not able to access system restore?
> > >

> > > Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhbmRvbg==?=

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
I'm having the same problem with the same error code. My computer is 3 days
old. I am hoping you can help. Thanks. Brandon

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Sara, we know exactly what the issue is thanks to another Gateway customer
> who reported this. We would like to get a screenshot from you--would you mind
> sending me an email? Remove "online" from my address.
>

> "Sara" wrote:
>
> > Hi Jill,
> >
> > I had installed Print Workshop software 2006 LE to my brand new gateway
> > GM5420 computer which came already installed with Vista Home Premium.
> > Immediately after installation of this PrintWorkshop software I had errors
> > and was not able to use it so decided to uninstall it. It would not allow me
> > to uninstall this program via the control panel (I got error "PW2006.exe
> > Common Language Runtime Debugging Services)
> > It said it was a locked file.
> > So, that is when I tried to go into System Restore to remove it that way.
> > How I went into system restore was:
> >
> > Click on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
> > So that I could restore to a point before I installed Print Workshop.
> >
> > But... I didn't get very far-- when I clicked on System Restore I got red
> > circle with a x in it and said "there was an unexpected error" and "the
> > filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. 0x8007007B
> > System Restore will now close"
> >
> > Hope that helps clarify my problem better.
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > Sara
> >

> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Sara, can you provide the exact steps you are using to get this error? Also,
> > > what kind of computer are you using? Is it brand new or did you install
> > > Vista onto an existing computer?
> > >
> > > --
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > >
> > > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> > > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

=?Utf-8?B?SmlsbCBab2VsbGVyIFtNU0ZUXQ==?=

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
There is an issue with the way Vista was imaged on some new Gateway
computers. We are working with Gateway to identify which models are affected.
If you are having this issue on a new Gateway, please respond here with your
model number.

The fix is below:

Launch SystemPropertiesProtection.exe (search for Run on the Start menu to
launch this program). Deselect the "C: Missing" checkbox and select "Local
Disk C:" to enable System Restore.

"Brandon" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem with the same error code. My computer is 3 days
> old. I am hoping you can help. Thanks. Brandon
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Sara, we know exactly what the issue is thanks to another Gateway customer
> > who reported this. We would like to get a screenshot from you--would you mind
> > sending me an email? Remove "online" from my address.
> >

> > "Sara" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jill,
> > >
> > > I had installed Print Workshop software 2006 LE to my brand new gateway
> > > GM5420 computer which came already installed with Vista Home Premium.
> > > Immediately after installation of this PrintWorkshop software I had errors
> > > and was not able to use it so decided to uninstall it. It would not allow me
> > > to uninstall this program via the control panel (I got error "PW2006.exe
> > > Common Language Runtime Debugging Services)
> > > It said it was a locked file.
> > > So, that is when I tried to go into System Restore to remove it that way.
> > > How I went into system restore was:
> > >
> > > Click on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
> > > So that I could restore to a point before I installed Print Workshop.
> > >
> > > But... I didn't get very far-- when I clicked on System Restore I got red
> > > circle with a x in it and said "there was an unexpected error" and "the
> > > filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. 0x8007007B
> > > System Restore will now close"
> > >
> > > Hope that helps clarify my problem better.
> > > Thanks for your help!
> > >
> > > Sara

chasnoble

Sara;250568 Wrote:
> Hi Jill,
>
> I had installed Print Workshop software 2006 LE to my brand new
> gateway
> GM5420 computer which came already installed with Vista Home Premium.
> Immediately after installation of this PrintWorkshop software I had
> errors
> and was not able to use it so decided to uninstall it. It would not
> allow me
> to uninstall this program via the control panel (I got error
> "PW2006.exe
> Common Language Runtime Debugging Services)
> It said it was a locked file.
> So, that is when I tried to go into System Restore to remove it that
> way.
> How I went into system restore was:
>
> Click on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System
> Restore.
> So that I could restore to a point before I installed Print Workshop.
>
> But... I didn't get very far-- when I clicked on System Restore I got
> red
> circle with a x in it and said "there was an unexpected error" and
> "the
> filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> 0x8007007B
> System Restore will now close"
>
> Hope that helps clarify my problem better.
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Sara
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Sara, can you provide the exact steps you are using to get this

> error? Also,
> > what kind of computer are you using? Is it brand new or did you

> install
> > Vista onto an existing computer?
> >
> > --

> rights.
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit

> our
> > team blog at 'The Filing Cabinet'

> (http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx).
> >

> > "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > When I attempt to use windows system restore I get an error

> message
> > > that says "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
> > > incorrect. 0x8007007B"
> > >
> > > Any ideas why I am not able to access system restore?
> > >

> > > Thanks.

Sara:

I also just bought a gateway GM5420 with Vista premium home addition. I
am getting the same syntax error as well. I too had just installed a
print workshop program, but not the same as you installed. My print
program failed to load so I uninstalled. But I was having trouble with
MSN Messenger afterwards so I tried the restore system and got the same
syntax error.

If there is a fix I would also like to know...hope you don't mind if I
butted into your thread...
chas:wink:

--
chasnoble
Bert Kinney

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
Hi Jill,

Could you send me a copy of the screenshot associated with this issue?
Remove NS from my email address.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

Jill Zoeller [MSFT] wrote:
> Sara, we know exactly what the issue is thanks to another Gateway customer
> who reported this. We would like to get a screenshot from you--would you mind
> sending me an email? Remove "online" from my address.
>

> "Sara" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jill,
>>
>> I had installed Print Workshop software 2006 LE to my brand new gateway
>> GM5420 computer which came already installed with Vista Home Premium.
>> Immediately after installation of this PrintWorkshop software I had errors
>> and was not able to use it so decided to uninstall it. It would not allow me
>> to uninstall this program via the control panel (I got error "PW2006.exe
>> Common Language Runtime Debugging Services)
>> It said it was a locked file.
>> So, that is when I tried to go into System Restore to remove it that way.
>> How I went into system restore was:
>>
>> Click on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
>> So that I could restore to a point before I installed Print Workshop.
>>
>> But... I didn't get very far-- when I clicked on System Restore I got red
>> circle with a x in it and said "there was an unexpected error" and "the
>> filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. 0x8007007B
>> System Restore will now close"
>>
>> Hope that helps clarify my problem better.
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Sara
>>

>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> Sara, can you provide the exact steps you are using to get this error? Also,
>>> what kind of computer are you using? Is it brand new or did you install
>>> Vista onto an existing computer?
>>>
>>> --
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
I have a machine I built 2 weeks ago and today I am getting the same error
when trying to open System Restore. I have an EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1
motherboard, a VGA EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR 8800GTX R video card, 2 gigs COR 240P
TWIN2X2048-8500C5 ram, and the cpu is the CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M R.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions in my situitation?

Thanks,
Mark Jappert
pana101@comcast.net

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Jill,
>
> Could you send me a copy of the screenshot associated with this issue?
> Remove NS from my email address.
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>

> Jill Zoeller [MSFT] wrote:
> > Sara, we know exactly what the issue is thanks to another Gateway customer
> > who reported this. We would like to get a screenshot from you--would you mind
> > sending me an email? Remove "online" from my address.
> >

> > "Sara" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jill,
> >>
> >> I had installed Print Workshop software 2006 LE to my brand new gateway
> >> GM5420 computer which came already installed with Vista Home Premium.
> >> Immediately after installation of this PrintWorkshop software I had errors
> >> and was not able to use it so decided to uninstall it. It would not allow me
> >> to uninstall this program via the control panel (I got error "PW2006.exe
> >> Common Language Runtime Debugging Services)
> >> It said it was a locked file.
> >> So, that is when I tried to go into System Restore to remove it that way.
> >> How I went into system restore was:
> >>
> >> Click on Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
> >> So that I could restore to a point before I installed Print Workshop.
> >>
> >> But... I didn't get very far-- when I clicked on System Restore I got red
> >> circle with a x in it and said "there was an unexpected error" and "the
> >> filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. 0x8007007B
> >> System Restore will now close"
> >>
> >> Hope that helps clarify my problem better.
> >> Thanks for your help!
> >>
> >> Sara

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System restore error on Vista home premium
The specs aren't the issue--it's the way in which the system was imaged.
Here are details from a previous post: