gwbasic/dos window

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

leedo

gwbasic/dos window
vista does not support full screen dos/gwbasic (xp did). I would settle for
a bigger gwbasic/dos window as my programs print about 1588 characters per
screen.
When I go into properties by clicking the upper left of the gwbasic/dos
window and set the window to a larger size, vista (or something) ignores the
requwest and leaves the window small (such sizing requestis with dos, only,
are fine). Similarly, pressing on the "large" button (upper right) leaves
the window too small to work with.
DATA: e systems, vista premium, intel 3.0, 250 gig, 1 gig, vista "command"
dos and/or cmd with gwbasic (three different ones tried).
NotMe

Re: gwbasic/dos window
you can't resize the window by dragging the corner of it?

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com
"leedo" <leedo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> vista does not support full screen dos/gwbasic (xp did). I would settle
> for
> a bigger gwbasic/dos window as my programs print about 1588 characters per
> screen.
> When I go into properties by clicking the upper left of the gwbasic/dos
> window and set the window to a larger size, vista (or something) ignores
> the
> requwest and leaves the window small (such sizing requestis with dos,
> only,
> are fine). Similarly, pressing on the "large" button (upper right) leaves
> the window too small to work with.
> DATA: e systems, vista premium, intel 3.0, 250 gig, 1 gig, vista "command"
> dos and/or cmd with gwbasic (three different ones tried).

Lang Murphy

Re: gwbasic/dos window
"leedo" <leedo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> vista does not support full screen dos/gwbasic (xp did). I would settle
> for
> a bigger gwbasic/dos window as my programs print about 1588 characters per
> screen.
> When I go into properties by clicking the upper left of the gwbasic/dos
> window and set the window to a larger size, vista (or something) ignores
> the
> requwest and leaves the window small (such sizing requestis with dos,
> only,
> are fine). Similarly, pressing on the "large" button (upper right) leaves
> the window too small to work with.
> DATA: e systems, vista premium, intel 3.0, 250 gig, 1 gig, vista "command"
> dos and/or cmd with gwbasic (three different ones tried).

So... you're saying if you resize the DOS box -while- your gwbasic app is
running, the cmd window won't resize... Not sure how you kick off your
gwbasic app, but have you tried resizing the window prior to kicking off the
app? (I'm guessing that won't make a difference, because the app will change
the size of the window to 640x480 [or whatever resolution it uses]).

Not that this is a real solution to your problem, but if you run an XDDM
video driver instead of a WDDM driver, you will get full screen DOS box
functionality.

Do you know what the screen resolution your gwbasic app uses? Have you tried
resizing the desktop to closer match the resolution of your gwbasic app?

Lang

Andrew McLaren

Re: gwbasic/dos window
"leedo" <leedo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> vista does not support full screen dos/gwbasic (xp did).

Actually, it's only the Aero GUI in Vista which doesn't support full-screen
mode. Vista itself has no problem running a full screen prompt. If you turn
off Aero, you should be able to turn your comand prompt full screen, in the
usual manner (albeit, at the loss of some UI bling). To turn off Aero:

- right-click on the desktop and select Personlise, Window Color and
Appearance.

- click the "Open classic appearance properties for more color options" link
at the bottom of the window. The Appearance Settings dialogue appears.

- you can select to pick a color scheme. Select "Windows Vista Basic" and
press Apply.

Aero will now be disabled. If you need to re-enable Aero, just go through
the same steps, selecting "Windows Aero" instead.

> I would settle for
> a bigger gwbasic/dos window as my programs print about 1588 characters per
> screen.

I can get a window size of 80 rows x 50 columns in QBASIC on Vista = 4,000
chars. Is that not large enough for your app? How many columns and/or rows
do you need? (ie, pls factor 1,588 for me . 20 rows should do?

> When I go into properties by clicking the upper left of the gwbasic/dos
> window and set the window to a larger size, vista (or something) ignores
> the
> requwest and leaves the window small (such sizing requestis with dos,
> only,
> are fine). Similarly, pressing on the "large" button (upper right) leaves
> the window too small to work with.

I think this is intrinsic in the GWBASIC.COM binary; nothing to do with
Vista. I get exactly the same behaviour running QBASIC.EXE on XP - I can
create a command prompt window of any size, and run many DOS apps which use
the full window size. Some other DOS apps always bring it back to 80x25. My
default command prompt is 96 x 50. But when I start QBASIC on XP, the window
instantly shrinks back to 80 x 50. When I exit QBASIC, it returns to 96 x
50.

So I suspect that GW-BASIC is behaving the same way as QBASIC, and forcing a
screen size. Remember the way a PRINT statement would always wrap at 80
columns, anyway? I suspect these old forms of BASIC just don't know how to
handle a wider screen ...

I guess you've already received lots of gratuitous advice about upgrading,
over the years; but ... GW-BASIC was in the legacy class, even back in
MS-DOS 6.22 days!!! There are better options today. For a free BASIC
interpreter built in to XP, Vista and Windows Server, look at VBScript. If
you use the WScript.StdOut.WriteLine statement, you can print output to a
console Window just like you would in GW-BASIC (ie it doesn't have to be a
GUI tool). Plus you get access to all the new facilities of the Windows
operating system (registry, WMI, Printing, networking, Internet, etc).
Anyway just a thought ...

Hope this helps
Andrew

bill2reg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: gwbasic/dos window
I have the same problem. I tried disabling Aero but still no luck. I need ONLY the GWBasic program as it was written. It worked fine on my XP machine and yes it DID function fne with my hi-res monitor (HPw2207h) at full screen. It seems strange than so many other applications can run in full screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. so the newer functions of an upgraded version of Basic aren't a necessity.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HPAUTH%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

bill2reg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: gwbasic/dos window
I have the same problem. I need to run an old GWBasic program just as it was written, so I don't need the newer features of an upgraded version of Basic. It runs fine on my XP machuine and yes even at full screen on my HP w2207h widescreen 22" monitor, so it doesn't seem to be a GWBasic limitation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dave-UK

Re: gwbasic/dos window

"bill2reg" <bill2reg.3npwo2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have the same problem. I need to run an old GWBasic program just as it
> was written, so I don't need the newer features of an upgraded version
> of Basic. It runs fine on my XP machuine and yes even at full screen on
> my HP w2207h widescreen 22" monitor, so it doesn't seem to be a GWBasic
> limitation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> bill2reg

I don't know what the 'same problem' is because you didn't quote it but
Vista does not display full screen Dos, only windowed.

Questor

Re: gwbasic/dos window
--->
> I have the same problem. I need to run an old GWBasic program just as it
> was written, so I don't need the newer features of an upgraded version
> of Basic. It runs fine on my XP machuine and yes even at full screen on
> my HP w2207h widescreen 22" monitor, so it doesn't seem to be a GWBasic
> limitation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How about getting MS Virtual PC and creating a whole DOS 6.22 machine?
Then, you can run anything you want to on it. It's free on the MS site.
VPC2007.

There are DOS installation iso files around the web.

Questor
Nil

Re: gwbasic/dos window
On 16 Feb 2009, bill2reg
<bill2reg.3npwo2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

> I have the same problem. I need to run an old GWBasic program just
> as it was written, so I don't need the newer features of an
> upgraded version of Basic. It runs fine on my XP machuine and yes
> even at full screen on my HP w2207h widescreen 22" monitor, so it
> doesn't seem to be a GWBasic limitation. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Try the DOS emulator DOSBox:

<http://www.dosbox.com/>
mic