Return ZIP files to open with default program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?YW1lbng=?=

Return ZIP files to open with default program
I mistakenly chose to open a corrupt ZIP file with WinRAR and thus lost my
ability to open ZIP files with the original compressed folders program in
Vista. I had not noticed that the option to 'always use this program to open
this type of file' is always checked in Vista, unlike in XP.

Realizing my mistake, I decided to try to return it to its original default
program to open with. What do I get? A dozen or so completely unrelated
programs from a history list but NOT the original default progam of Vista's
to open with! And its not a regular exe that you can browse to in Windows
folder, but seems to consist of esoteric commands that trigger the compressed
folders function in Vista.

How do I get the original compressed folders program association back?
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Return ZIP files to open with default program
Hi amenx,

Click Start, type regedit.exe and press Enter.
Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip

Delete the sub-key named "UserChoice"

Close Regedit.exe

If that does not help, get the .zip file association fix from here:

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

--
Regards,

"amenx" <amenx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEDA51F9-B1AE-40E1-B0E5-8E89F9FD162C@microsoft.com...
I mistakenly chose to open a corrupt ZIP file with WinRAR and thus lost my
ability to open ZIP files with the original compressed folders program in
Vista. I had not noticed that the option to 'always use this program to open
this type of file' is always checked in Vista, unlike in XP.

Realizing my mistake, I decided to try to return it to its original default
program to open with. What do I get? A dozen or so completely unrelated
programs from a history list but NOT the original default progam of Vista's
to open with! And its not a regular exe that you can browse to in Windows
folder, but seems to consist of esoteric commands that trigger the compressed
folders function in Vista.

How do I get the original compressed folders program association back?
=?Utf-8?B?YW1lbng=?=

Re: Return ZIP files to open with default program
Thank you Ramesh, that worked! It wasnt easy, it wouldnt delete the key
without adjusting the permissions, but the important thing it worked.
Valuable lesson I learned from this, thanks once again.!

amenx

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi amenx,
>
> Click Start, type regedit.exe and press Enter.
> Navigate to the following branch:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip
>
> Delete the sub-key named "UserChoice"
>
> Close Regedit.exe
>
> If that does not help, get the .zip file association fix from here:
>
> File association fixes for Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "amenx" <amenx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEDA51F9-B1AE-40E1-B0E5-8E89F9FD162C@microsoft.com...
> I mistakenly chose to open a corrupt ZIP file with WinRAR and thus lost my
> ability to open ZIP files with the original compressed folders program in
> Vista. I had not noticed that the option to 'always use this program to open
> this type of file' is always checked in Vista, unlike in XP.
>
> Realizing my mistake, I decided to try to return it to its original default
> program to open with. What do I get? A dozen or so completely unrelated
> programs from a history list but NOT the original default progam of Vista's
> to open with! And its not a regular exe that you can browse to in Windows
> folder, but seems to consist of esoteric commands that trigger the compressed
> folders function in Vista.
>
> How do I get the original compressed folders program association back?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Return ZIP files to open with default program
You're welcome, amenx.

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi amenx,
>
> Click Start, type regedit.exe and press Enter.
> Navigate to the following branch:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip
>
> Delete the sub-key named "UserChoice"
>
> Close Regedit.exe
>
> If that does not help, get the .zip file association fix from here:
>
> File association fixes for Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

missfoofoo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Return ZIP files to open with default program
so, I had the same problem too and I just did what you suggested...IT worked. Thanks by the way but I was wandering if there was a way to get the .zip folder icon back because right now, its the icon of what I previously picked as the defult program.
ju.c

Re: Return ZIP files to open with default program
Please include all of the older postings, thanks.