hiberfil.sys ?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

churin

hiberfil.sys ?
What is hiberfil.sys for? I have set WVT never to hibernate but this
file stays. Please help.
Jonathan Yaniv

Re: hiberfil.sys ?
Hello,

HIBERFIL.SYS is a file the system creates when the computer goes into
hibernation mode. Windows uses the file when it is turned back on. If you
don't need hibernation mode and want to delete the file you need to turn the
hibernation option off before Windows will allow you to delete the file...

* Start | Control Panel | Power Options
* Go to the Hibernate Tab
* Uncheck the Enable Hibernation box if you don't need the hiberation
function

--

Have a nice day,

Jonathan Yaniv
Microsoft Windows Live™ Butterfly Expert

Visit the ButterflySays Blog at
http://spaces.msn.com/ButterflySays/

"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
> What is hiberfil.sys for? I have set WVT never to hibernate but this file
> stays. Please help.

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

Re: hiberfil.sys ?
I believe you'll also have to use the POWERCFG -H OFF command to actually
delete the hiberfil.sys file.

Stuart.
---------

"Jonathan Yaniv" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> HIBERFIL.SYS is a file the system creates when the computer goes into
> hibernation mode. Windows uses the file when it is turned back on. If you
> don't need hibernation mode and want to delete the file you need to turn the
> hibernation option off before Windows will allow you to delete the file...
>
> * Start | Control Panel | Power Options
> * Go to the Hibernate Tab
> * Uncheck the Enable Hibernation box if you don't need the hiberation
> function
>

> --
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Jonathan Yaniv
> Microsoft Windows Live™ Butterfly Expert
>
> Visit the ButterflySays Blog at
> http://spaces.msn.com/ButterflySays/
>
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
> > What is hiberfil.sys for? I have set WVT never to hibernate but this file
> > stays. Please help.

churin

Re: hiberfil.sys ?
Thanks for your response.

I attempted to disable Hibernate by following your post but I do not see
Hibernate Tab. I can see the Hibernate Tab on WXP but not on WVT.

Jonathan Yaniv wrote:
> Hello,
>
> HIBERFIL.SYS is a file the system creates when the computer goes into
> hibernation mode. Windows uses the file when it is turned back on. If
> you don't need hibernation mode and want to delete the file you need to
> turn the hibernation option off before Windows will allow you to delete
> the file...
>
> * Start | Control Panel | Power Options
> * Go to the Hibernate Tab
> * Uncheck the Enable Hibernation box if you don't need the hiberation
> function

R. McCarty

Re: hiberfil.sys ?
Use an Elevated privilege Command Prompt and type>
PowerCfg -h off [Enter]

> Thanks for your response.
>
> I attempted to disable Hibernate by following your post but I do not see
> Hibernate Tab. I can see the Hibernate Tab on WXP but not on WVT.
>

> Jonathan Yaniv wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> HIBERFIL.SYS is a file the system creates when the computer goes into
>> hibernation mode. Windows uses the file when it is turned back on. If you
>> don't need hibernation mode and want to delete the file you need to turn
>> the hibernation option off before Windows will allow you to delete the
>> file...
>>
>> * Start | Control Panel | Power Options
>> * Go to the Hibernate Tab
>> * Uncheck the Enable Hibernation box if you don't need the hiberation
>> function

Sly Dog

Re: hiberfil.sys ?
You can also go into Disk Cleanup and select the Cleanup option related to
the hibernation file.

"Stuart [MVP]" <StuartMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I believe you'll also have to use the POWERCFG -H OFF command to actually
> delete the hiberfil.sys file.
>
> Stuart.
> ---------
>
> "Jonathan Yaniv" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> HIBERFIL.SYS is a file the system creates when the computer goes into
>> hibernation mode. Windows uses the file when it is turned back on. If you
>> don't need hibernation mode and want to delete the file you need to turn
>> the
>> hibernation option off before Windows will allow you to delete the
>> file...
>>
>> * Start | Control Panel | Power Options
>> * Go to the Hibernate Tab
>> * Uncheck the Enable Hibernation box if you don't need the hiberation
>> function
>>

>> --
>>
>> Have a nice day,
>>
>> Jonathan Yaniv
>> Microsoft Windows Live™ Butterfly Expert
>>
>> Visit the ButterflySays Blog at
>> http://spaces.msn.com/ButterflySays/
>>
>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> > What is hiberfil.sys for? I have set WVT never to hibernate but this
>> > file
>> > stays. Please help.

Jane C

Re: hiberfil.sys ?
You can use Disk Cleanup to delete the hibernation file.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)